Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Catacombs: Chicks in a Catacomb» Forums » News

Subject: Remaining stock available now rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
You can now (while supplies last) order a combined set of the two KickStarter exclusive add-ons for Catacombs. Get 'em while they last!

https://elzra.com/marketplace

Warning: It's not cheap. The asking price is $45 for the set. (That said, these add-ons were never cheap - the Zombie Horde and Chicks in a Catacomb expansions combined cost as much as the base game during the KickStarter campaign.)

The expansions are very cool and are limited in nature. I'm glad to have spent $45 on them during the campaign, but don't necessarily recommend them to everyone due to cost. The Caverns of Soloth expansion offers much better bang-for-your-buck if you are gaming on a budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United States
Beverly Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: On a crusade to spread EurogamesMicrobadge: Boardgame PusherMicrobadge: Brain burner fanMicrobadge: Heavy Games fanMicrobadge: Madeira fan
Just got mine in the mail today. Unfortunately I don't have the base game yet as it is on preorder from a retailer who is awaiting the arrival of the Cavern of Soloth expansion before sending it out.

Glad to have some more female heroes though, as you note, they don't come cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I do really like the variety they offer. But buying Cavern of Soloth offers much better value.

Shame about the preorder holding up your package. Really hope you get it soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
MOO!
Microbadge: Follower of JesusMicrobadge: Afghanistan Campaign MedalMicrobadge: Iraq Campaign MedalMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Parent of One Girl
Not surprisingly at this price, they're still in stock. I'm very interested in these items, but you can buy the full core game for less than the price of these two (small) add-ons.

If and when Elzra gets reasonable (say $25-$30) I would consider picking these up.

NewUser wrote:
You can now (while supplies last) order a combined set of the two KickStarter exclusive add-ons for Catacombs. Get 'em while they last!

https://elzra.com/marketplace

Warning: It's not cheap. The asking price is $45 for the set. (That said, these add-ons were never cheap - the Zombie Horde and Chicks in a Catacomb expansions combined cost as much as the base game during the KickStarter campaign.)

The expansions are very cool and are limited in nature. I'm glad to have spent $45 on them during the campaign, but don't necessarily recommend them to everyone due to cost. The Caverns of Soloth expansion offers much better bang-for-your-buck if you are gaming on a budget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Reasonable" is highly subjective.

I understand your point of view: it's a high price for a small amount of actual components, especially when compared to the glut of content that comes in the base game or with the Soloth expansion. These expansions do add real gameplay value and variability though.

People who already paid $45 when the expansions were listed as limited-availability, KickStarter exclusive items might feel that it would be reasonable to not sell them at all, and see Elzra re-use the wooden components later for other purposes. (Personally, I'm happy seeing the extra copies generally available at a consistent price and feel that's pretty fair to everyone involved.)

Without knowing how many copies were made, what they cost, and how many remain available, it's hard to argue with the current price - which we have to assume is what Elzra considers reasonable after considering all factors. It's clear that the number wasn't simply drawn out of a hat though.

"Reasonable" also takes on a different meaning for many of us here. Honestly, very little about my board gaming habit is reasonable, as my wife kindly reminds me when looking over my 100+ games (many that rarely get played). All in the eye of the beholder, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
MOO!
Microbadge: Follower of JesusMicrobadge: Afghanistan Campaign MedalMicrobadge: Iraq Campaign MedalMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Parent of One Girl
NewUser wrote:
"Reasonable" is highly subjective.

I understand your point of view: it's a high price for a small amount of actual components, especially when compared to the glut of content that comes in the base game or with the Soloth expansion. These expansions do add real gameplay value and variability though.

People who already paid $45 when the expansions were listed as limited-availability, KickStarter exclusive items might feel that it would be reasonable to not sell them at all, and see Elzra re-use the wooden components later for other purposes. (Personally, I'm happy seeing the extra copies generally available at a consistent price and feel that's pretty fair to everyone involved.)

Without knowing how many copies were made, what they cost, and how many remain available, it's hard to argue with the current price - which we have to assume is what Elzra considers reasonable after considering all factors. It's clear that the number wasn't simply drawn out of a hat though.

"Reasonable" also takes on a different meaning for many of us here. Honestly, very little about my board gaming habit is reasonable, as my wife kindly reminds me when looking over my 100+ games (many that rarely get played). All in the eye of the beholder, I guess.
Maybe. But there are also very well established reference points. For example - do I spend $45 + shipping on two small expansions for Catacombs, or get Pandemic: Legacy (aka the top rated game on BGG) for the same price? Or since we're talking about expansions, do I get both Abyss: Kraken and Five Tribes: Artisans of Naqala for $10 less, and just as high quality components?

Elzra has made a fantastic game in Catacombs, and should be commended for it. Their pricing was significantly over the value though - which is why I skipped their Kickstarter in the first place and waited until the online distributors stocked copies. As for Kickstarter-exclusive markups on limited production expansions, I personally feel that's a pretty abhorrent practice, so that doesn't carry much weight with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BenjaminHester wrote:
... For example - do I spend $45 + shipping on two small expansions for Catacombs, or get Pandemic: Legacy (aka the top rated game on BGG) for the same price? Or since we're talking about expansions, do I get both Abyss: Kraken and Five Tribes: Artisans of Naqala for $10 less, and just as high quality components?
Sadly, if you are like me the answer is too often: "Why not both?"
whistle

(All fair opinion. People interested in getting the best bang for their buck with Catacombs are almost certainly better off waiting for the next expansion to come out.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
MOO!
I do hope there is more. Love this game, Elzra should be proud of it. And I'll be happy to pick up the expansions too...just as soon as they hit Coolstuffinc, Miniature Market, or Cardhaus :-)

NewUser wrote:
BenjaminHester wrote:
... For example - do I spend $45 + shipping on two small expansions for Catacombs, or get Pandemic: Legacy (aka the top rated game on BGG) for the same price? Or since we're talking about expansions, do I get both Abyss: Kraken and Five Tribes: Artisans of Naqala for $10 less, and just as high quality components?
Sadly, if you are like me the answer is too often: "Why not both?"
whistle

(All fair opinion. People interested in getting the best bang for their buck with Catacombs are almost certainly better off waiting for the next expansion to come out.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Vogler
United States
Maryville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered them today from the Elzra website along with the Soloth expansion from Coolstuffinc. I was late to the party and missed the Kickstarter and am envious of those who got the whole package... I was tempted to pick up a Kickstarter package from the Marketplace, but the prices are outrageous. I'll have enough content to keep me happy, at least until the next expansions roll out.....

edit: spelling, D'oh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you can thank SU&SD via reddit for another purchase...

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/46psj0/susd_pla...

Their playthrough got me to go looking for the game. The base games and expansion shipped from 401games yesterday. The exclusive expansions shipped today.

Looking forward to some flicking dungeon crawl over spring break!!!

Edit: if I'm giving props - Rahdo's run through helped as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls