Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
So, lets say the map is setup and because of the road layout, there is one area in the corner where the houses are not connected at all to the rest of the map.

One player starts in this area, so his initial restaurant can only ever supply those two houses. He can safely hire a luxuries manager, add a garden to the house and start bringing in $40 per item.

First question - have I got this right?

Secondly, what do the other players do about it? I'm assuming build one of their own restaurants in the same area to compete on price, or try advertising a type of good the other company cant provide - although this can sometimes backfire.

Unless I've missed something in the rules, there is no way to build roads or anything, which means if a house is in an isolated part of the board, it is permanently cut off from the rest of the map.

Thanks all,

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything you've said is true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

Unless I've missed something in the rules, there is no way to build roads or anything, which means if a house is in an isolated part of the board, it is permanently cut off from the rest of the map.

Thanks all,

Paul

Sometimes you can change the situation by building a garden, connecting the house to other (additional) streets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

Thanks all,

Paul

Sometimes you can change the situation by building a garden, connecting the house to other (additional) streets.

Or use a local/regional manager to open drove-thrus so that your restaurant may now connect to roads it previously wasn't connected to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could the house ever get a delivery if no roads connected it? Could it use the board sides like the mailbox for instance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Could the house ever get a delivery if no roads connected it? Could it use the board sides like the mailbox for instance?

No. But all houses will be connected to a road... whether that leads somewhere is another matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdsplotter wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

No. But all houses will be connected to a road... whether that leads somewhere is another matter.

I sense an opportunity for a City Planning expansion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt FromVirginia
United States
Northern Virginia
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We had this happen last weekend. Four player game, one player took control of the lower left corner of the board that had a single house with no access to the larger board. Steady stream of burgers and pizza all night and he coasted to the win. Shame on the other players (myself included) for focusing on our own strategies and not derailing his.

Lesson learned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdsplotter wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

I meant no roads connected the "roads that were cut off" to the other part of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
khesser wrote:
We had this happen last weekend. Four player game, one player took control of the lower left corner of the board that had a single house with no access to the larger board. Steady stream of burgers and pizza all night and he coasted to the win. Shame on the other players (myself included) for focusing on our own strategies and not derailing his.

Lesson learned.

Happened in ours too. Except I built another restaurant to stop it happening. Unfortunately, this messed my own plans up in the process and I didn't benefit much from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Stick a 2x radio near there and fill his houses with demand for something he can't get easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
also, if somebody has a small corner to himself/herself, that means the rest of the board is there for everyone else. (though as the game moves likely more restaurants will be built.)

But it seems advertising stuff he/she doesn't want would be the best way to counter other than finding a way to join in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We had a recent 3 player game where there were 4 separate road networks!

Here's a pic of the mid-game, right before every house in the neighborhood heard about pizza on the radio:

It was an interesting battle between Golden Duck Diner, who built a huge company structure and went for the longer game, and Santa Maria Pizza, who went for early profits by starting a burger mailbox campaign and hiring a New Business Developer to bring more burger-loving houses to the block (it was Gluttony Burger's first game so he didn't make much of a splash with his soda and beer emporium).

Golden Duck Diner soon opened a new restaurant in Santa Maria Pizza's neighborhood, but not before Santa Maria cleverly placed a few houses to block GDD from coming TOO close. In the end, Santa Maria pulled it out by hiring a few pizza cooks and pricing managers, but had the game lasted another turn or two the Duck might have flown by...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
We had a recent 3 player game where there were 4 separate road networks!

I've seen some people locally who like to adjust the map so it's now "awkward," but I love the quirkiness of fully random layouts. I'm all about unexpected spatial challenges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
jmdsplotter wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

I sense an opportunity for a City Planning expansion...

or a tarmac layer Promo,
just add a small strip of road to the board like the Shaman adds water in Zimbabwe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:

Golden Duck Diner soon opened a new restaurant in Santa Maria Pizza's neighborhood, but not before Santa Maria cleverly placed a few houses to block GDD from coming TOO close.

Infinite advertising campaigns can also serve as effective blocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.