Adhil Patel
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got in a four player game in this weekend, and I really enjoyed it.

Components
The components are top notch, and the art is fantastic. One of our group didn't find it to his liking (too cartoony) but I LOVE it.

The coins were a real head-turner! People kept coming up to our table to pick up and play with the coins. They have a wonderful weight, and make a very satisfying clink (not too tinny).

Game play
The place a worker then take a worker 'mechanic' was intuitive to me, but one of our group was really struggling with it. As previously mentioned, this mechanic doesn't necessarily 'block' actions, but there were certainly turns where I couldn't do what I wanted to do, either because of a mismatch of meeple colour or needing to do things in a specific order (having money for recruiting).

I liked the way the Valkyrie was incorporated, as it improves replayability and makes the competition for raid spots quite hot.

We ran out of gold in the supply at some point, and someone started to complain about this, saying it was a flaw, and I got quite grumpy.

IT'S NOT A FLAW. It's BRILLIANT!

It forces people to adjust their strategies, and to perhaps make other preparations ahead of the gold becoming available.

Game length
I also found the game went a little longer than I would have liked, but that was probably also because we were not aggressive enough with our raids. The acceleration slows down a bit in the last third of the game, when you are spending a lot of provisions to get to each fortress.

Final thoughts
In the end, I found it to be quite a compelling Euro. It's thematic in the way you need to build up your provisions and crew to handle bigger and better raids, but I wasn't sure that the pay-offs were big enough.

The scores were pretty close in the end, so I guess it was quite tense, but I did feel like it was a little bit mechanical towards the end, as there was very little variation in terms of how to win. It felt like we all needed to do pretty much the same things to gain VPs.

A solid game, but not one that I'm going to be trying to get to the table every week. So for me, it's like Merkator, rather than Concordia.

Lastly, I'll say that it didn't really fill me with excitement, but that could also be because we played Blood Rage before and after it, which probably eclipsed Raiders in terms of COOL factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you have a really opinionated group, haha. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to getting this game in my hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls