Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
Waiting for the paint to dry.
badge
Ooh! Shiny.
Microbadge: Toss a Coin to Your Witcher
Any news about the handbook? Hoping to play the game soon and I'm not a big fan of learning through how-to-play videos unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also don't like watching videos, but found that with the game in front of me it wasn't hard to learn from the old rulebook. The new rulebook is much better, so I recommend giving it a go without the handbook if you don't want to wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Handbook should be this week. I've taken a break from editing it to write this message
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
I also don't like watching videos, but found that with the game in front of me it wasn't hard to learn from the old rulebook. The new rulebook is much better, so I recommend giving it a go without the handbook if you don't want to wait.
I recommend the old rulebook/handbook, as well. Just read the "Simple Game" and then this thread for rule changes: List of rules changes

In particular, you'll apply these changes:

1. No limit on Culture Rate, Science Rate or Science Points. Straightforward, nothing to remember.
2. Get back a Civil Action when replacing a leader. This you'll have to remember.

And that's it. The other changes are not applicable in the simple game. So, just read the old rulebook, remember the rule for getting back a Civil Action when replacing a leader and you're ready to go.

Finally, consider taking a look at the videos of:
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb

They are really splendid!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
Ooh! Shiny.
PaulGrogan wrote:
Handbook should be this week. I've taken a break from editing it to write this message
Started to watch you video anyway just to make certain I didn't miss any rules. Love your accent. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Handbook is VERY close, I'm getting sick of it already anyway

Joking aside, we're in the final stretch, catching the last little things and polishing everything. As Paul said, it will be finished this week. We'll post it online ASAP.

Luckily we have the splendid Paul's explanation videos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao F. Falaschi
Brazil
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
Common sense won't pay the rent and doesn't grow on trees, but splitting hairs can get you anything you need
mbmbmbmbmb
karel_danek wrote:

Joking aside, we're in the final stretch, catching the last little things and polishing everything. As Paul said, it will be finished this week. We'll post it online ASAP.

When will the printed version be sent to Essen buyers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
Ooh! Shiny.
karel_danek wrote:

Great! I'm playing on thursday at 19.00 CET, so now you know the deadline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jffalaschi wrote:
karel_danek wrote:

Very soon once it's printed. But keep in mind this is English version we're talking about, German will take at least another 2 weeks to finish (translation + layout).

We're doing all we can, even after all these years in boardgame industry we seriously underestimated the amount of time this would take. We're truly sorry for this inconvenience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:
karel_danek wrote:

Great! I'm playing on thursday at 19.00 CET, so now you know the deadline.

I am fairly certain it will be downloadable by then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karel_danek wrote:
jffalaschi wrote:
karel_danek wrote:

Very soon once it's printed. But keep in mind this is English version we're talking about, German will take at least another 2 weeks to finish (translation + layout).

We're doing all we can, even after all these years in boardgame industry we seriously underestimated the amount of time this would take. We're truly sorry for this inconvenience.
So once it is printed, how soon can we expect to see in the US?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
karel_danek wrote:
jffalaschi wrote:
karel_danek wrote:

I will be sure that the most of us who are waiting for the playbook have enough other games sitting on the shelf and waiting to get finally played again. So don't rush but bring the job to a decent end. We (at least me) can wait a few more days...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall McGrath
Ireland
dublin
dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am happy to wait for the handbook, the new playthrough videos by Paul are excellent and I am really enjoying learning this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Handbook should be this week. I've taken a break from editing it to write this message :)
That makes me wonder how Eagle is going to "Deliver week of November 9th" on their copies. (I don't mean this snarkily - are they going to mail them out after?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolczynski
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:
That makes me wonder how Eagle is going to "Deliver week of November 9th" on their copies. (I don't mean this snarkily - are they going to mail them out after?)
Judging from their most recent comments on the Kickstarter, sounds like delivery won't be until January.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bubba0077 wrote:
reddish22 wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:
Handbook should be this week. I've taken a break from editing it to write this message :)
Judging from their most recent comments on the Kickstarter, sounds like delivery won't be until January.
What Kickstarter? The ad currently on their website says - "Delivering the week of Nov. 9th"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolczynski
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
What Kickstarter? The ad currently on their website says - "Delivering the week of Nov. 9th"
The Kickstarter they did for the previous edition. Providing an update on what they were going to do for the backers since a cheap upgrade pack isn't feasible.
Rick from Eagle-Griffin wrote:
This is just a brief Update to say that things have not changed much since my last Comment here on October 17. As to the timing on this, we are entirely dependent on CGE to arrange for the shipping and get the games coming to the US from the Czech Republic. The games are not ready yet so the shipping has not commenced. When it does I will tell you, and then it will be approx 5 weeks before we get these into our warehouse ready to ship. That likely will put us squarely in the midst of Xmas holidays, when everything -- shipping and otherwise, is VERY problematic. So what I am thinking is that we will get you out the details of the dates, and payment terms, etc. prior to January 1, and then we will offer all of those who backed the TTA KS project the opportunity to purchase a copy of the NEW TTA in the month of January, 2016 for 65% of its MSRP, or $45.49, plus shipping. Details to follow as soon as I have them myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blanco
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? (James 2:15-16)
mbmbmbmbmb
The Eagle Games Website: http://www.eaglegames.net currently states:

Eagle Website wrote:
"We have received the games in Kentucky, but we are still waiting for the Player Guide to be prepared and shipped to us from CGE. Delivery will begin when those Player Guides are received."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had preordered TTA for a birthday next week so it was really vital for me to get it for that (why I was willing to pay a little more). After exchanging emails with Rick, he was willing to send it out without the players guide for me. I appreciate the extra effort, thanks EGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
I had preordered TTA for a birthday next week so it was really vital for me to get it for that (why I was willing to pay a little more). After exchanging emails with Rick, he was willing to send it out without the players guide for me. I appreciate the extra effort, thanks EGG.
The extra effort to sell you something they already have?? Oh please. They just don't want the hassle and expense of sending out the tutorial books after purchase so are making your entire continent wait so they can scrimp on a few dollars. CGE and the European retailers are sending them out by default, not as a "favour" to anyone. I have my copy already here in the UK, and so could so so many 'Muricans if EGG were actually interested in their customers rather than purely their bank balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Say what you will, I guess, but I appreciated it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blanco
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? (James 2:15-16)
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm completely new to TTA. Is the "player guide/handbook" separate from the instruction book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geese wrote:
So, I'm completely new to TTA. Is the "player guide/handbook" separate from the instruction book?
There's a rule book, then there's a walk through teaching book. I usually hate those anyways - and Paul posted the walk through videos online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolczynski
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geese wrote:
Yes. The rulebook (which is already available) has all the rules. The handbook is supposed to be more of a tutorial/walkthrough. You can learn from the rulebook alone (it is much better written than previous versions), but the handbook should make the learning easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Dickson
Scotland
flag msg tools
I am completely new to this game.

I have now played this game and taught it to two new players without the handbook. All I used was the excellent rulebook and Paul's fantastic videos.

It's pretty simple to setup and begin playing and the housekeeping is very straight forward if you always follow the end-of-turn sequence printed on the individual player cards.

Paul's second video explains the more complex interactions.

Have fun with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |