United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pledges for Lunarchitects game are $35, free US shipping (EU-friendly too)!

Lunarchitects: the euro-style boardgame of moonbase planning — KICKSTARTER LINK

The campaign will be concluding on December 8th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Tirado
Mexico
Benito Juarez
DF
flag msg tools
Llevamos los mejores juegos a tu mesa
badge
Visítanos en Youtube
mbmbmbmbmb
No stretch goals yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holding onto a few in my back-pocket, but as a realist I didn't want to get my own hopes up until I saw how things started.
As things get closer, I'll definitely get some up there (no spoilers, yet!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Tirado
Mexico
Benito Juarez
DF
flag msg tools
Llevamos los mejores juegos a tu mesa
badge
Visítanos en Youtube
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I've already backed it, hope the project goes well, I'm really excited about the reimagining of Glen More. Did you watch Rahdo's final thoughts?, what do you think of the ending scoring variant that he talked about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, and I do see Rahdo's point about not always playing with "Efficiency". At the same time, while sometimes I do like the harsh-ness of Glen More (both using squares, and having the extra cost of having a big tableau), sometimes I DON'T like that. Sometimes I want a nice casual game experience, where it isn't beating me up all the time.
If you DO want that, feel free and choose "Efficiency" as a end-game scoring scheme, or add it to two others! Both of those variants work great, and I certainly enjoy it time to time. I may even put the variant into the rulebook

In a lot of the testing, when Efficiency shows up, people who haven't played as much and who don't know the impact it can have just happily build along, make this exciting base that combos and makes lots and lots of points, but then at the end they're disappointed to learn that this huge successful base still didn't win. ESPECIALLY for teaching players, where they have fun when more=better, I avoid Efficiency. Thus, I wanted it choose-able, but not mandatory.

Father Geek's recent review (link) had kids as young as 8 playing and enjoying the game - while I'm not saying they wouldn't with a static "efficiency" rule, I'm not sure the experience would be as pleasant for everyone.

TLDR: I like the variant Rahdo suggested (always play with "Efficiency"), but it was a deliberate choice to make Efficiency only appear in about 25% of the games in order to make it feel a bit more approachable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim H
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am one of those people who played and adored Glen More, up until I realized that I enjoy building my city and using the engine I had created too much, the end of game scoring has lost me several games. This looks to be right up my alley.

I do have one question however, you say that you have unannounced potential stretch goals, will the "Fancy Tray" have to be redesigned as a result of any of these? I am always hesitant to purchase* any fancy inserts, as if I love a game and an expansion comes out, will it fit in that insert?

*- purchase is not the appropriate verb for kickstarter, but this was referring to other games that have nice third party inserts, eg. Castles of Mad King Ludwig, that would have had to be replaced by anyone who wanted the expansion, which presumably they do, because they enjoyed the game enough to get a fancy insert.
Edited to clarify my use of purchase, mainly for my own piece of mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The fancy tray has been designed with plenty of space for additional features (that's one of the other reasons the box got bigger about 2 months ago, see my blog post about it). Once the final component count is finalized, I'll update about final design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I think I'm in the minority that loves small as possible game boxes. I'd pay several dollars more for any game that had an "efficiency box" option.

So much wasted space and ultimately that means less games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R3DSH1FT wrote:
I think I'm in the minority that loves small as possible game boxes. I'd pay several dollars more for any game that had an "efficiency box" option.

That's a pretty good idea! I like my share of efficiency boxes too (especially when traveling with them) Next kickstarter, next kickstarter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
R3DSH1FT wrote:

I am with you on smaller boxes. I think less is more (not a miniatures guy).

I think I'll back Lunarchitects, although I'm having reservations against Kickstarters in general. Another hesitation besides the large box is the cartoonish artwork. Although I'm in the camp where I think Glen More DESPERATELY needs a refresh, I think Lunarchitects takes it too far in that direction. The art reminds me of Automania.

The challenge of board games these days is to get it to the table over all the other games. Too "cutesy" artwork, or too dry artwork, tends to turn off gamers in my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I actually enjoy the fresh and very quirky take on the space genre. The theme itself, being a corporate lunar architect and trying to have the best laid plans for moon base development is pretty quirky. The box cover and drafting 'table' board invoke that feel to me.

I do think the tile art could have more punch. I like the whole white lines, architect paper thing but the buildings are too faint/small. The white activation rectangle also stands out too much and could be replaced with something more like this:

I'd even line up the little symbol icons in a vertical line along the left or right side. Good to keep in mind that these can still get some final touches though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls