Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Jolly
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
I've always been wondering about this:

1) Can a unit target itself with a special attack?

Example (This has happened to me on at least three seperate occasions): Deathwalker 9000 is surrounded by enemies, and I figure that I want to target myelf with my special grenade attack. I'll probably survive, and take out a few enemies. What stops me from just firing my grenade at the ground, or in the air just above me?

On a similar note, can't I shoot / throw my weapon into an empty space in order to hit more units?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rulebook in front of me, but I believe it says an attack must "target" an enemy. Therefore, you can't target yourself or an empty space that would be better for an area attack.

However, as I said, I'm not 100% sure, nor can I quote the page number for you, so take this for what's it cost you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Cote
United States
Central Village
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the FAQ at heroscape.com, under Attacking, it states that a figure may not target itself.

I am assuming when you say DW is surrounded that the enemies are adjacent; if so, you are engaged, so you must target one of the enemies you are engaged with, but you can use the special attack in close combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, there's no such thing as a range of "0" in HS. As mentioned above, a figure cannot target itself. Also, you must target a figure when attacking, so you cannot target an empty hex.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jolly
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
Meh... The rules apparently say so, but I maintain the stance that they are illogical. Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Also, you must target a figure when attacking, so you cannot target an empty hex.

-Ski

Do you have the source for this? Page number in the rule book?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it never says "you can only attack figures" but it's easily inferred from the rules. For instance (from the 2nd Ed. Master rules, p.13), it says:

"Engaged figures: If one of your figures is engaged with one or more other figures, that figure can attack only those figures."
From this it is clear that an engaged figure can only attack those figures, and an empty space is not one of those figures.

Also (from the same):
"Who can attack? Any figure(s) on your chosen Army Card within Range, and with a clear Line of Sight, can attack."
Nowhere is the means to determining a clear LOS to an empty hex discussed, only to figures. So presumably you cant attack anything but a figure.

Every discussion of targeting refers only to targeting figures. Therefore you can either:
a) only target figures, or
b) speciously rule that things not mentioned can also be targeted since they're not specifically excluded. This would include, but not be limited to, empty hexes, ruins, glyphs, Army Cards, your opponent himself, and the half-empty cup of Pepsi that is dangerously close to toppling over and spilling all over your new castle set.

Oh, and Bryan? The rules for Heroscape are ILLOGICAL? I'm sorry, but you are not allowed to argue from the basis of logic, physis, or anything else sensible in a game where ice dragons and secret agents can fight against Scottish warriors and robots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warbanner wrote:
Well, it never says "you can only attack figures" but it's easily inferred from the rules. For instance (from the 2nd Ed. Master rules, p.13), it says:

"Engaged figures: If one of your figures is engaged with one or more other figures, that figure can attack only those figures."
From this it is clear that an engaged figure can only attack those figures, and an empty space is not one of those figures.

Also (from the same):
"Who can attack? Any figure(s) on your chosen Army Card within Range, and with a clear Line of Sight, can attack."
Nowhere is the means to determining a clear LOS to an empty hex discussed, only to figures. So presumably you cant attack anything but a figure.

Every discussion of targeting refers only to targeting figures. Therefore you can either:
a) only target figures, or
b) speciously rule that things not mentioned can also be targeted since they're not specifically excluded. This would include, but not be limited to, empty hexes, ruins, glyphs, Army Cards, your opponent himself, and the half-empty cup of Pepsi that is dangerously close to toppling over and spilling all over your new castle set.

Oh, and Bryan? The rules for Heroscape are ILLOGICAL? I'm sorry, but you are not allowed to argue from the basis of logic, physis, or anything else sensible in a game where ice dragons and secret agents can fight against Scottish warriors and robots.

Thanks for the answer. My son is going to be running some games at a local convention and it was an interesting question that I thought might be helpful to have the answer to.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jolly
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
Well, I know THAT illogical... But not being able to shoot a grenade at the ground? Still, point taken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.