Subject: Ideas on running a combined/multi month OP at one time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm planning a "catchup" OP event, just thought I'd pool ideas and experience?

I want to cover 2 or 3 OPs in one hit, these were ideas I have already had:

Cut round times to 45 mins

Cut 1 game off each tournament "month"

Has anyone else tried it? What worked best?

Thanks all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
From experience, 6 rounds is going to be the upper limit for most players. I've done an 8 round tournament and most players were phoning it in the last two rounds. Most will be mentally drained. A few diehards (like me) will enjoy it a lot though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Run each OP scenario as its own round with players retaining the same fleet through all 3 rounds.
Or run a weekend marathon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you have specific OPs in mind? I would normally say to switch up the scenario every round (randomly or according to a schedule, as you prefer), but some OP scenarios call for more specialization in fleet design. Or have special rules for fleet construction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SMDMadCow wrote:
Run each OP scenario as its own round with players retaining the same fleet through all 3 rounds.
Or run a weekend marathon.
We did a special collective event with our stop second OP set a while back, basically we did first OP scenario R1, 2nd OP scenario R2, 3rd OP scenario R3 keeping the same fleet throughout, it was a great way to do a full series imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses...

Maybe having 1 game per round/tournament and keeping it to 3 games is a good way of doing it, was trying not to cut too much out of it, but it is what it is I guess: a catch up!

It is Q1-3, I like the idea of a single fleet. Will it disadvantage one player or another? As there will be more prizes going, I guess everyone will end up with something either way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you have that many more prizes, how are gou planning on awarding the fellowship? 3 votes? You may want to try awarding 1 with votes and the other 2 off total fleet points of the players that didnt win - it makes objective play a lot more rewarding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I haven't been to many that offer a fellowship. They either offer it to second or based on some other criteria (fleet build or somesuch). Sometimes we play with all 3 prizes available too, so often there is something for everyone (we maybe get a core of 6 players, it could be more, but logistics are so hard to sort...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls