Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Eriochrome Unofficial AC FAQ and Errata rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Starting this on my blog:

http://twilight40k.blogspot.com/2015/11/dungeon-saga-adventu...

Post your questions in the comments and I will answer them in my normal overkill way without you having to search through forums full of stuff.

How do I Use Custom Heroes in the Core Game?
How Far do I Build the Dungeon?
Overlord Powers, Commands, and Raise Dead
Corners and Arcs
When Can You Change Your Facing?
Shooting Adjacent Models and From Behind?
Line of Sight Rule
Do Cover Modifiers Stack?
Does Injury Affect Spell Casting Attack Dice?
When and What Items can Characters Trade During a Scenario?
What Activates a Lock Trap?
Large Model Attacking From Rear
Large Model Outnumbering
Hero Creation Feats and When they can be learned
Hero Shooting Dice Advancement Rule
Demon Hunter Shooting Dice
Petty Magic and Break Ward Access
Druid Advancement: Element Ability or Magic School
Wizard Advancement: New School Access
Max Dice in Test is 6
Relentless plus Unstoppable
Hammertime Plus Smash!
Null vs Fire or other spell like affects
Campaign Rules: Glory, Feats, and Item Trading
Focus and In Tune With Nature Different Spells Errata
Uncharted Dungeons Insights and Suggestions
Invisible Overlord Insights and Suggestions
Invisible Overlords of Uncharted Dungeons
Missing Bad Guy Shooting Ranges
Elf Minion Stat Line Corrections
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Currently I cover:

Line of Sight

Lock Traps

Shooting Advancement

Break Ward Access

Uncharted Dungeons: Overlord Deck, Monster Scaling, and Overlord Commands

Invisible Overlord: Timer, and General Suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't post comments on the blog, keeps presenting a publish button even after selecting it. Any thoughts?

The comment I wanted to make:

What's the thoughts on the New School upgrade for a Wizard?

The only rule i see in relation to it is on Pg 34 that states "Choose a new school of magic from the list on page 66."
But there are no details on page 66 on how you do this or what it grants you that turn.

e.g.
Option1: Does learn a New School, simply add it to your available library of magical knowledge but you have to wait for your next New Spell ability option before you actually learn one from the new school?
Option 2: Do you get to pick one spell (free choice/random) on learning a new school of magic?
Option 3: Do you get to pick spells like it was a new starting school?
Option 4: Anywhere in between?

Have I missed a description somewhere else that better lays this out? Option 1 seems underpowered and Option 3 looks overpowered so is it something in between?

Also, what' your thoughts on a Wizard being allowed to learn Divinity and Druidism as new Schools? Does that take away from the uniqueness? Should it be allowed or should the rules state that outside of Petty Magic being open to all Spellcasters, that the restrictions on Starter Spell selection should also apply to the Schools possible to be learned?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RAW it is option 1. I would probably also do a RAI that Mages can only get new schools from their starting lists thus not Divinity and Druidism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it is there and I did not see it, but I hope you cover integrating the uncharted/ random dungeon generator with the solo/ co-op AI rules.

Thanks for all of your hard work on this and have a great day!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
michael4928 wrote:
Perhaps it is there and I did not see it, but I hope you cover integrating the uncharted/ random dungeon generator with the solo/ co-op AI rules.

Thanks for all of your hard work on this and have a great day!

Michael
Both of those sections are the weakest in the book if you ignore the Design a dungeon section that is more an essay or introduction than part of a boardgame rulebook.

People do really want AI controlled random dungeons. One issue there is that the overlord in the random ones is not supposed to know what the heroes objective is so it is hard to use the Quest threat value but I doubt that really makes a big difference.(I would just use the nearest to next door). Otherwise I think you take the data and corrections and suggestions I have for both sections and just try it.

You do not care what is on the overlord deck cards in the AI as you only use them for a timer so you do not have to worry about crafting a deck for a specific race. You do need to make Bosses ahead of time but hopefully people are working on some of those right now. I lack the spell decks to make spell casters but might throw together a couple of guys for the Abyssals, Undead, and Orcs at different levels. I will see how my weekend plays out.

I guess the overlord needs to decide which monsters off the list to use. I can probably write a guide to better prescribe which monsters to use and where to place them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
eriochrome wrote:
RAW it is option 1. I would probably also do a RAI that Mages can only get new schools from their starting lists thus not Divinity and Druidism.
Added a ruling on this and added another about the Druidisms ability or new school advancement not counting in the you can only take that once for advancement rules.

Also added little discussion of AI plus uncharted but it certainly cannot claim to be an expert on that since I have no carton yet with the cards. Slow dock workers not slow boat anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looks like we are getting a FAQ later instead of sooner over at quirkworthy so I will try to update for more of the typo issues for people not looking for the deep answers. Probably will have to add an internal index and table of contents for people also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Added discussion of Null vs abilities and about only building up to doors with reminder that doors can be opened in the middle of the players action and it does not explicitly end the action so they can continue after the new zone has been assembled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Benson
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eriochrome wrote:
doors can be opened in the middle of the players action and it does not explicitly end the action so they can continue after the new zone has been assembled.
I'm not sure I agree with that, as all methods of opening a door explicitly count as an action, and movement has to be done before carrying out an action.

All doors start locked, so they either have to be:
- Smashed down by "following the Fight rules as if the lock were an enemy."
- Picked, in which case "Each Action a model with the Lockpicking ability spends trying to open a lock its value is reduced by 1"
- Magically opened by casting a spell, which is also an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
iain_benson wrote:
eriochrome wrote:
doors can be opened in the middle of the players action and it does not explicitly end the action so they can continue after the new zone has been assembled.
I'm not sure I agree with that, as all methods of opening a door explicitly count as an action, and movement has to be done before carrying out an action.

- Picked, in which case "Each Action a model with the Lockpicking ability spends trying to open a lock its value is reduced by 1"
Yes, but if the wizard casts a ward breaking spell that opens a door he can continue casting more spells if he is able for instance.
Also if the dwarf uses his feat he clearly has the chance to continue his attacks even after the door opens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Benson
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magikerendk wrote:
iain_benson wrote:
eriochrome wrote:

Yes, but if the wizard casts a ward breaking spell that opens a door he can continue casting more spells if he is able for instance.
Also if the dwarf uses his feat he clearly has the chance to continue his attacks even after the door opens.
Ah, fair point, I stand corrected! I was thinking eriochrome was was meaning they could continue to move, but you are right, they can continue to attack, so need the next zone assembling in case there is anything they can hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't Doubt the Chrome.

When I was writting that one I had to stop and think since my initial thought was it ended the characters action but I remembered for wizards it is a minor spell so they could cast more. I did not find a rule that says it explicitly end the action to open the door so I was just noting it for people.

Both relentless and unstoppable might allow continued attacks but I need to look them over more closely and check back on opening a door rules again before making a ruling. Whirlwind does not work on doors since they are not enemy models but it would be super cool and cinematic if it did.

Added some additional stuff to. Newest being a discussion of Relentless plus Unstoppable. Discussion not to my full comphrensiveness yet with rule quotes but I give the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Added link index to post for easier reading.

Table of Contents(Under Development)

How Far do I Build the Dungeon?

Overlord Powers, Commands, and Raise Dead

Line of Sight Rule

What Activates a Lock Trap?

Hero Creation Feats and When they can be learned

Hero Shooting Dice Advancement Rule

Demon Hunter Shooting Dice

Petty Magic and Break Ward Access

Druid Advancement: Element Ability or Magic School

Wizard Advancement: New School Access

Max Dice in Test is 6

Relentless plus Unstoppable

Null vs Fire or other spell like affects

Campaign Rules: Glory, Feats, and Item Trading

Uncharted Dungeons Insights and Suggestions

Invisible Overlord Insights and Suggestions

Invisible Overlords of Uncharted Dungeons

Missing Bad Guy Shooting Ranges

Elf Minion Stat Line Corrections

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Benson
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering, have you passed the link to your FAQ/Errata site on to Mantic?

I sent Dave the FAQ document I wrote, and actually got a reply saying thanks and that it would be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
iain_benson wrote:
Just wondering, have you passed the link to your FAQ/Errata site on to Mantic?

I sent Dave the FAQ document I wrote, and actually got a reply saying thanks and that it would be useful.
Mantic and I are not on speaker terms I think. I sent Chris the link to all the missed deliverables and never got a response. Jake knows about and I have been posting links to in on the Mantic Forum and to the Main Comments section on the kickstarter site.

I will probably start going through your FAQ list tonight for more questions that I can reasonably answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I keeps seeing people ask questions I have answered here so bumping it back up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
Germany
flag msg tools
Wooow! Thank you so much! Very nice done!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls