Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Any chance of an "upgrade discount" for owners of the 1st ed? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Any discount for owner's of the 1st ed?
pfffffft.

I wish. Same for Mission Red Planet and Fury of Dracula.soblue

Don't hold your breath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Re: Any discount for owner's of the 1st ed?
themanfromsaturn wrote:
pfffffft.

I wish. Same for Mission Red Planet and Fury of Dracula.soblue

Don't hold your breath.
Well MRP was a different publisher so that would be really unlikely

There are a few precendents, IIRC 1st ed Runebound owners got an upgrade discount for 2nd ed?

Anyway VPG is a small company with a loyal fanbase and good relationship with their existing customers that I would imagine they want to continue to nurture, so, one can always hope they'd throw us some crumbs at least ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Grady
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am happy to pay the full price but a free mini thrown in to reflect my continued loyalty would be pretty cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We currently have no system to do that. I mean, how would that even work? There are no "discount coupons" on Kickstarter, right?

Unlike cars, games are not bought back the manufacturers to give you a "trade in allowance." The only way to get an upgrade discount is the same one I get for all my other games, sell the older version and apply the money to the newer one.

Sorry,

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Alan Emrich wrote:
Quote:
We currently have no system to do that. I mean, how would that even work? There are no "discount coupons" on Kickstarter, right?

Unlike cars, games are not bought back the manufacturers to give you a "trade in allowance." The only way to get an upgrade discount is the same one I get for all my other games, sell the older version and apply the money to the newer one.

Sorry,

Alan Emrich
In my case, I bought the game directly from you, I have the emailed receipt from you, etc... not being in the business I don't know the specifics but I would think a business could track previous customers...

I think other businesses ask for some identifying/tracking part of the rulebook or something to be cut off and mailed in, for a "previous owners" discount, from what I remember having seen elsewhere. Like a UPC code or something.

If it's too complicated to incorporate into Kickstarter, you could always do something external/post Kickstarter for 1st ed. owners... I don't know those above are just off the top of my head...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
FYI this is how FFG did it for 1st ed. Runebound owners upgrading to 2nd ed.:

Owners of Runebound 1st Edition will be happy to know they will be able to purchase Runebound Second Edition at a reduced cost. For the upgrade, we will be asking for a specific card from Runebound First Edition and your check or money order for $19.95 plus $6.95 for US shipping and handling.

Upgrade Path for Runebound First Edition Owners *Official*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
So Near, So Far: Musings for Miles - Joe Henderson
badge
Bryant & May: Strange Tide - Christopher Fowler
Microbadge: Fugitive fanMicrobadge: Whitehall Mystery fanMicrobadge: Little Wars centennial (1913-2013)Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: I love reading to my grandchildren
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Owners of Runebound 1st Edition will be happy to know they will be able to purchase Runebound Second Edition at a reduced cost. For the upgrade, we will be asking for a specific card from Runebound First Edition and your check or money order for $19.95 plus $6.95 for US shipping and handling.

That was cool, but note that they never did it again despite revamping numerous other games (Descent, Fury of Dracula, etc.). You're thinking hobby, they're thinking business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Morris
Canada
Creston
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It just doesn't seem realistic or fair to VPG. When musicians reissue albums with added content I can't imagine anyone thinking they should get a discount on the reissue..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sphere wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

That was cool, but note that they never did it again despite revamping numerous other games (Descent, Fury of Dracula, etc.). You're thinking hobby, they're thinking business.
Yeah I was just pointing out the logistics of how it's been done previously... but VPG is a very different company than FFG. As loyal customers we choose to pay more to VPG for production quality that is less than larger publishers because we support smaller game publisher/desigers, and we acknowledge the "economics of scale". We buy into the "the gameplay's the thing" motto. So it's conceivable (hopefully? whistle) that they would acknowledge that proven former loyalty by doing something, however small...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Z
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Sphere wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Yeah I was just pointing out the logistics of how it's been done previously... but VPG is a very different company than FFG. As loyal customers we choose to pay more to VPG for production quality that is less than larger publishers because we support smaller game publisher/desigers, and we acknowledge the "economics of scale". We buy into the "the gameplay's the thing" motto. So it's conceivable (hopefully? whistle) that they would acknowledge that proven former loyalty by doing something, however small...
I purchased Dawn of the Zeds 2nd ed. last December. When the Kickstarter was announced for the 3rd ed. earlier this year it never crossed my mind that I should be entitled to some sort of discount or other acknowledgement. Ultimately I decided to keep what I already had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
codygarfield wrote:
It just doesn't seem realistic or fair to VPG. When musicians reissue albums with added content I can't imagine anyone thinking they should get a discount on the reissue..
I don't think it's unfair to ask nicely, but on the flip side I don't think it's unfair for VPG to say "no" and end the discussion either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't think it's unfair to ask nicely, but on the flip side I don't think it's unfair for VPG to say "no" and end the discussion either.
Well, "no," then. At this juncture, we must be circumspect about raising the funds required to pay the printer to have the game's print quality measure up to the gameplay and illustrations. I don't believe that we have ever offered an "old edition" discount in the past (I could be wrong), because new editions require just as much preparation, work, and expense as doing completely new games and there is really no "savings" to pass along.

We are indebted for your support, but our indebtedness doesn't impress our printer and allow us to pay their bills.

I'm afraid that the old methods for acquiring the new edition of a game still apply here.

Sorry,

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Microbadge: Defeats Children Without MercyMicrobadge: I throw out useless expansion boxesMicrobadge: I'm the GM - I'm the decider!Microbadge: I drink while I play gamesMicrobadge: I Store Game Boxes On Their Side
JohnnyDollar wrote:

I remember this! I also remember I preferred KEEPING my first edition card (gotta keep the set complete!) and just going ahead and buying 2nd at the normal online discounted price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flabbergasted Rhino
Japan
Osaka
Kansai
flag msg tools
badge
Get Schwifty
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:

We are indebted for your support, but our indebtedness doesn't impress our printer and allow us to pay their bills.

So if I am reading this right what you are saying is that I should send my old bagged edition directly to the printer so that they can print the upgrade over the top of the old components? That sounds easy enough, but will you pay for the shipping? whistle

Honestly though, I am really looking forward to the KS. Everything looks fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Sphere wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Alan was saying there's no way to do this via Kickstarter - You haven't actually offered a solution to that.

But, even if you did, I can't imagine a small company like VPG being able to afford to make the offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't buy the first edition, but even if I had I would not expect any sort of discount.

"Upgrade" does not do justice to the amount of care and passion that has been put into this new edition.

Cheers to Alan for staying firm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gerwalker wrote:
I didn't buy the first edition, but even if I had I would not expect any sort of discount.

"Upgrade" does not do justice to the amount of care and passion that has been put into this new edition.

Cheers to Alan for staying firm.
Why is it something to be "cheered"? If he can't do it, he's not able to do it "with regrets," (I'd hope), rather than with a cheer and a fist-pump.

How would you feel if you were one of the last people to buy the old 1st ed from them, and then found out about this new one; with a print-on-demand business model they were able to sell it until really recently (not sure when they took 1st ed off the website), it's not like it's been OOP and unattainable for many many years or something...

Anyway he said he can't do it and that's that, I'm not sure why the policy is something that needs to be stood up and cheered for...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Who said anything about standing up and fist pumping? Perhaps you are too young to drink, but 'cheers' is often nothing more than a click of the glass to express agreement.

I was simply impressed with how Alan responded with clear (i.e "well, no then")and reasoned (the rest of his post)response to the repeated attempt for an unjustified upgrade discount on a product that has been completely overhauled from head to toe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only reasonable way to do an "upgrade discount" is when only a few of the components are added/changed - then you can sell an "upgrade kit" with no need to verify purchases (GMT does this occasionally). My understanding is this edition is too changed for that to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rchandra wrote:
I think the only reasonable way to do an "upgrade discount" is when only a few of the components are added/changed - then you can sell an "upgrade kit" with no need to verify purchases (GMT does this occasionally). My understanding is this edition is too changed for that to work.
Yeah, how do you sell an upgrade kit when EVERYTHING is new!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yeah, how do you sell and upgrade kit when EVERYTHING is new!
Exactly! And that is a vexing question.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have the first edition, but having played the second edition beta, I can safely say that this is really, really, really fun. As I said in other threads, this is one of the best 2 or 3 solitaire games I have played, with Cruel Necessity and Navajo Wars being the other contenders. The more I play Nemo, the more I think it has longer-lasting appeal than the other two. Get it when you can!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls