5 Posts

Glory to Rome» Forums » General

Subject: Current wording of "Stairway" card for "old-art" GtR? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vapix
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have the IV Edition with the "Republic Upgrade Kit" and the "BGG Expansion".

Today I noticed that my "Stairway" doesn't have exactly the same text as the BB Edition's.

Mine say:
"When performing ARCHITECT action may add material to opponent's completed STRUCTURE to make function available to all players".

The BB Edition (taken from the images here) says:
"When performing ARCHITECT action you may additionally add a material to an opponent's completed STRUCTURE to make function available to all players".

This is no problem when playing of course - we can play it as though the card starts "In Addition" - but I'm wondering if there's an "old art" version of Stairway with the BB text, or "In Addition" on the card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also wonder how this card works. What kind of material does it need to be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vapix
msg tools
mbmbmb
There's an example in the rules PDF for the latest I.V. edition.

If you use Stairway it's in addition to the normal ARCHITECT action, and if/when you do:
* You have to use the correct material for the structure
* The material has to come from your STOCKPILE

Here's the text and the example (my bold)

Each time you execute an Architect action you may also chose to move an appropriate material into any opponent’s completed structure in order to immediately grant that structure’s function to all players. Leave the added material card sticking out at an angle from beneath the structure to indicate it is public. Players that already own a structure of the public structure’s name do not get a second copy of its Function. Any “Upon completion” effects in the Function of the public structure do not trigger again. You may perform the additional action even if you choose not to use your Architect action.

Example: You have a Stairway foundation with two Marble in it. An opponent has an Archway and a Shrine. You have one Architect clients. You have a Marble and a Brick in your Stockpile. You lead as Architect and the other players follow. You place the Marble from your Stockpile into your Stairway, completing it, immediately allowing you an additional action which you use to place the Brick from your Stockpile into your opponents Archway, making the Function available to everyone. You do not to use your second Architect action but still use the Archway’s Function to move the Brick from the Pool into the opponent’s Shrine. Your maximum hand size is now seven.

I think this is a little different to the original I.V. rules for Stairway, and that the change was decided during the discussions regarding "tuning" GtR for the Republic Rules (ex-MIT rules). I prefer it this way, even for Imperial Rules.

If there was an "old-art" card with the BB text or "In Addition" on it I'd try to trade for it though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you do not need a second architect action. That makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vapix
msg tools
mbmbmb
ZombieDad2 wrote:
So you do not need a second architect action. That makes sense.
IIRC the main options were
* Consumes the Architect action, but no material required
* "In Addition", but requires material

I like "In Addition + material", because it's consistent with the "Stockpile-biased" engine you need for Architect(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls