Popular Tags: asl [+] [View All]
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ASL. OK - tell me what I have found? Value? Trade?
I went over to game with a friend of mine today and he tells me he has a surprise for me. He takes out an old box and says he got it for free - someone wanted it out of their garage. He gave it to me. The box contains:

1) Advanced Squad Leader Rules - written material in binder... fairly good condition, some box wear but no splits... material looks complete.

2) Module 1: Beyond Valor - punched.

3) Module 2: Paratrooper - punched.

4) Module 3: Yanks - punched.

5) Module 4: Partisan! - punched.

6) Module 5: West of Alamein - chits punched, maps uncut with map boards

7) Module 6: The Last Hurrah - punched

8) Module 7: Hollow Legions - punched

9) Module 8: Code of Bushido - unpunched, complete in box

10) Two (2) zip lock bags with mixed chits - assume these are the chits from all the punched module boxes above - no clue if complete but LOTS of chits

11) lots of the cut out map segments in good condition but they are slightly curled from how they were stored. I will flatten them and put something heavy on top of them for awhile.

There are no other hard map board besides those on modules 5 and 8. All of the module boxes are in excellent condition... one has a split corner - slight wear on some. So how valuable is this unexpected find/gift?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm only missing West of Alamein, although I have For King. If West of Alamein has all its boards and looks complete (not necessary that the counters are complete), I could fashion a trade. Take a look at my trade list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish I had friends like yours...

The value is pretty much all in WoA and CoB. People want WoA for the boards, overlays, and scenarios, not for the counters (which are duplicated in FKaC), so that being punched is not a problem. I'd figure that's somewhere around $100. The CoB is $150-$200. If your time is valuable, those are the only two worth worrying about, as the others are both common and punched. So, all told, you could eBay CoB and WoA for $250+ and the other stuff might get $20-$30 each, maybe a bit more for BV.

Better yet, learn to play ASL. It's a fantastic game and one of the major obstacles ($$$) has been largely taken care of for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice friends!

Assuming that the modules are complete here's what you might expect on eBay.

Quote:
1) Advanced Squad Leader Rules - written material in binder... fairly good condition, some box wear but no splits... material looks complete.

The ASL rules got reprinted into a 2nd ed. You can still use the 1st ed rules but the demand and value has dropped. $20-30

Quote:
2) Module 1: Beyond Valor - punched.

BV is now in its 3rd ed. 1st ed was published by AH and contained 4 mapboards, 10 scenarios on 5 cards and a whole lot of Russian and german counters. Complete it will sell for $40-50.

2nd ed BV is a real gem. It was published by Multiman Press after AH went poof. The reason it's so special is that it contains all of the 1st ed goodies plus "Red Barricades". RB was the first Historical ASL module and many would argue the best. You can tell if you have this version if the MMP logo is on the back of the box and "Now Includes Red Barricades" is printed on the spine. It will also say "Second Edition" on the bottom of the spine. I don' believe there were very many of these printed as I cant remember the last time one was sold on eBay. Conservatively I'd value it at $130.

3rd ed is currently in print by MMP but is a monster of a module. It contains 10 boards and 24 scenarios. Estimate $60-$75.

Quote:
3) Module 2: Paratrooper - punched.

OOP but still available from third party retailers. $25-$35

Quote:
4) Module 3: Yanks - punched.

Still in print. $35-$45

Quote:
5) Module 4: Partisan! - punched.

Still in print but on clearance from MMP. $15

Quote:
6) Module 5: West of Alamein - chits punched, maps uncut with map boards

OOP. The British order of battle was reprinted in the later "For King and Country". However this is the only way to get the North African desert rules and boards/overlays. Really depends on the condition and completeness. I've seen anywhere from $50 when it had no box or counters to $140 when it was unpunched.

Quote:
7) Module 6: The Last Hurrah - punched

Still in print. $10-$25

Quote:
8) Module 7: Hollow Legions - punched

Still in print. $25-$35

Quote:
9) Module 8: Code of Bushido - unpunched, complete in box

OOP and very desired. Adds the Japanese to ASL and the Pacific Theatre of Operation rules. A complete and unpunched copy goes for $150-$200. Why? Because the Japanese and the PTO rules are a lot of fun. And who knows when MMP will ever reprint them.

Quote:
10) Two (2) zip lock bags with mixed chits - assume these are the chits from all the punched module boxes above - no clue if complete but LOTS of chits

Without anymore information to go on I suppose these are generic game information markers. If they belong to specific countries I'd try to sort them out and put them with the right module. (Americans into Yanks, Russians into BV, etc) If they are generic info markers like Prep Fire then who knows what module they came from. Won't make that big a difference to that modules value anyhow.

Quote:
11) lots of the cut out map segments in good condition but they are slightly curled from how they were stored. I will flatten them and put something heavy on top of them for awhile.

Definitely try to flatten them out. These map overlays should have a numerical code on the backs of each. These should help you in determining what modules they go with. If there are some you can't place feel free to PM me and I'll try to get you sorted out.

Also, here's a link to Mark Pitcavage's site that details all the core module products.

http://www.desperationmorale.com/worldofasl/worldofficial1.h...

If you decide to give ASL a try you've got a great start! If you would rather trade it away, take a look at my trade list.

-Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great - thanks for the replies. You have to love the geek - within minutes I was getting info from fellow gamers. I am going to take some digital photos of what I have - take a look at what all of you have to trade - and make contact via email. I have never made a trade so I am not sure of procedure but I am excited to pass these along for something else. ASL has a great rep even with the complexity of rules but my game time is limited these days so I am not going to take this one on. Currently getting into block games - Crusader Rex - and continuing to play We The People. Also enjoying Twilight Struggle though not a war game really. So... thanks again... and I will be in touch. Any info you want to add please do - or any tips on trading and how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yaboo wrote:

ASL has a great rep even with the complexity of rules but my game time is limited these days so I am not going to take this one on. Currently getting into block games - Crusader Rex - and continuing to play We The People. Also enjoying Twilight Struggle though not a war game really.

If you enjoy those games, I would really highly recommend that you at least give ASL a shot. The commitment required to play is greatly exaggerated by people who only see the hardest-core ASL fanatics and don't realize that the game really can be just a game without being a lifestyle. You can easily play the game once a week for a couple of hours without needing to study rulebooks or become totally obsessive.

At the very least, I'd suggest this: sell/trade CoB and WoA - those are by far the most valuable pieces. Then find a local ASL player (there are many of them, everywhere) to teach you the basic infantry game. The remaining parts of the collection could easily keep you busy gaming for many years, and you're not going to get much for them anyway. If you don't have any local players (unlikely), use the proceeds from CoB and WoA to get a copy of ASLSK1 for $25 when it's reprinted (in another month or two) and teach yourself. If you do end up loving the game, CoB and WoA will probably be reprinted by the time you're far enough in to need them.

ASL is just such a fantastic game that I'd hate to see you miss an opportunity to get into it when it falls right in your lap, as it seems to have done. I wish I had started playing it years ago instead of months ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richert
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur, I avoided ASL for years to my detriment because I listened to all those guys that said it was a lifestyle, too hard, etc.

If you keep things basic, the game is very simple. Add guns, it becomes a little more complex, add vehicles a little more complex. If you played once a month with full blown rules you can remember 95% of what you need to remember. If you keep it to infantry, you can pretty much keep everything down after you play 3-4 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to take your advice and trade CoB and WoA and keep the rest. At some point I will go for it. I am not afraid of it... I cut my teeth on war games and I am just getting back into them now. In fact - I recently pulled out my copies of Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader - that was a blast. But there are factors that are out of my control that are limiting my game playing time so I am sticking with some favorites for now. I don't want to take on any new ones for a bit with the exception being Crusader Rex which I just ordered. I am hoping to trade for Hammer of the Scots and something else...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yaboo wrote:
I am hoping to trade for Hammer of the Scots and something else...

Um... while I certainly wouldn't recommend that you mercilessly gouge your fellow Geeks, I would definitely hope that a WoA and an unpunched CoB gets you a lot more than just Hammer and "something else". They really are rather rare items - if all you want are in-print games, then cash them and you can buy 4-6 good games with the proceeds. If you're going to trade them, trade them for something out-of-print.

(Note to self: "Shut up! Just go and buy Hammer and something cool and then trade this guy for WoA/CoB!")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda figured that - was testing the waters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do give ASL a shot I highly recommend the Starter Kits.

As for working out a trade, you should have no problem. Personally I'd be interested in COB.

-Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.