Subject: why not ranked as a strategy game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B V

Montclair
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've been tracking PL's rise through the ranks for past months, and am pretty impressed with how much it's climbed, but why has it been removed from the strategy game ranks? I guess it is more thematic but does that nullify it as a strategy game? We've played through March so far, and there's definitely strategy involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To my knowledge the category where the game belongs is purely determined by the result of the poll on this page under "Category": https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/161936/pandemic-legacy
So the reason Pandemic is not in the Strategy game ranks is simply the fact that not enough people voted for it compared to the Thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered the same. I assume it was rubbing wrong some particular person with a bit of authority. Yesterday it had advanced to #8 on that list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Strong-Morse
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I presume that's based on the voting for subdomain--you can vote on what category "best describes" the game. I don't know how that system works, but I assume that if there are multiple categories that are close, it counts as both, but if one category pulls way ahead, it only counts as that category. So presumably enough more people voted "Thematic" that it got dropped from the Strategy subdomain.

IMO, if the goal is mostly to categorize into one subdomain, that's right--the game is a Strategy game, but it's significantly more of a Thematic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B V

Montclair
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm, now looking at the description of the subdomains:
Abstract Strategy Games (like Chess or Go)
Customizable Games (CCGs, CMGs, LCGs, etc)
Thematic Games (emphasis on narrative)
Family Games (fun for kids and adults)
Children's Games (best for younger kids)
Party Games (few rules, lots of laughs)
Strategy Games (more complex games)
Wargames (conflict simulation, etc.)

I guess I wouldn't count is a more complex game, so maybe thematic is the best subdomain for it, although votes-wise its currently 50-45.2 with thematic winning of course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Strong-Morse
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And now it's back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I completed the 2017 Alphabet board game challenge!Microbadge: WBC attendeeMicrobadge: I completed the 100 Games x 1 Challenge - 2019Microbadge: I logged 365 plays in 365 days in 2018!Microbadge: I completed the 2019 hardcore challenge to play 10 games 10 times each - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!
I see this more as a strategic game then a thematic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerrin 2
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
I see this more as a strategic game then a thematic game.
This is the way I view Pandemic and Pandemic Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls