A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Is multiple sets worth it in a long run? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Master
Latvia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Al Capone
I'm a new player and finaly got my game copy! I've read all of this "3 core set must-have's" for playing in a competitive level. For now I get it. But what I'm wondering is, as a card pool grows, will there ever be a moment when you're regreting buying multiple core sets, because now you're using one copy (or none) of core set cards in your main deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call him
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunner still has core-set cards that are seen as staple economy and draw cards, and we've had 24 small expansions + 4 deluxe expansions.

I can see cards like Kingsroad and Littlefinger being around for a while.

That said, I bought two cores for casual melee play and I'm happy with that. Not sure if I'll bother with many chapter packs, except to bring in a few more of my favourite characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

In my opinion the extra copies are not necessary especially as the card pool grows. However, as others have said, the extra cores increase your options for deck building right away. I guess it all comes down to how often you play and how patient you are in waiting for the card pool to grow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never regretted buying 3 cores of any LCG (or 2 in the case of SW).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Are there any cards in the core set now, that you'll ever want three copies of? Regardless of what comes out in the future?

The answer to this question should help you answer your original question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some main characters, Tears of lys and maybe Milk. But of course it depends on what is coming, but I think that there are a lot of cards that we see long time in different decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
I have never regretted buying 3 cores of any LCG (or 2 in the case of SW).
I second this wholeheartedly. And I feel LCG core sets always remain relevant, especially considering the rotation FFG has introduced to the LCG format. I also find multiple cores more fun, because it allows me to specialize more in deck building, I can really build around cards or combinations of cards and draw them more consistently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Reynolds
United States
mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ivan The Terrible wrote:
I'm a new player and finaly got my game copy! I've read all of this "3 core set must-have's" for playing in a competitive level. For now I get it. But what I'm wondering is, as a card pool grows, will there ever be a moment when you're regreting buying multiple core sets, because now you're using one copy (or none) of core set cards in your main deck?
I think it will remain relevant for quote some time, varys, little finger, milk, tears, not the mention. 3x the major characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Top-tier decks almost always run 3 copies of faction character reducers, which is unlikely to change as they are extremely versatile cards - great setup, helps economy, and cheap claim soak.

A lot of factions are going to be running 3s of characters for a long time (Asha, Tyrion, Melisandre)

And it is also very common to run 3 copies of draw locations given the strong benefit for getting them out early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: If you want to do any deckbuilding, yes. If you want multiple decks without swapping a bunch of cards around, yes. If you want to be able to build decks you see online or that other people are talking about, yes. Judging by other LCGs, many of the cards in the core set will be in decks for a while so it's worth picking up 2-3 cores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In A Game of Thrones: The Card Game, you buy three core sets, or you die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
As a 1.0 player, I used many cards from the Core Set right up until the game was concluded this year.

The main stuff you'll want is plot cards, neutrals like Littlefinger and maybe Varys further down the line, plus some of those 6- or 7-cost iconic characters like Eddard Stark, Jon Snow and Daenerys will be useful for a long time to come, surely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
To build tournament decks yes. There are so many staple econ cards and hard counters in this core set. If history has taught us anything it's that those are the cards that stick around in LCGs so I doubt we'll see them be useless down the line at any point. That's not even mentioning the power characters that appear to be the center pieces in faction strategies like Dany, Mel, Jaime etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls