Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I see that Kickstarter copies are already being sold second-hand at reasonable (i.e. not Zombicide) prices.

Does this game have deal-breaking issues?

Some complaints about component quality? Why didn't they design the tiles with puzzle fittings?

Gameplay? Co-op mode broken?

I'm wondering if it is worth grabbing a KS version or not, and why backers are already off-loading it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli T
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those few times what I've been playing DS already — with friends & solo — I have enjoyed the simple yet tactical gameplay a lot. And my friends already asking "when we have time to play again?". I recommend you get the Adventures Companion* expansion also to have much deeper playing experience as it adds a lot of cards, rules and others stuff into gameplay.

* You should be warned, though, that there is a lot of "see page XXX" typos in Adventures Companion rules text and some other clitches, but I haven't found any game breaking issues yet. The hundreds of cards are OK. Mantic has published an official Errata already where you can find the targeted XXX pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Soldier wrote:
I see that Kickstarter copies are already being sold second-hand at reasonable (i.e. not Zombicide) prices.

Some complaints about component quality? Why are didn't they design the tiles with puzzle fittings?

I'm wondering if it is worth grabbing a KS version or not, and why backers are already off-loading it...
People often change their minds. There are certainly many issues. I would avoid add on like counters and such but resin characters seem to getting good reviews. The core game is solid but the promised adventures companion which was supposed to allow customer characters/Monster AI/Random Missions/Design Mission and such rpg light type experiences is a train wreck. If you want Monster AI(IE Full Coop) I would wait and let stuff settle to see what develops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HoboWithAShotgun wrote:
Those few times what I've been playing DS already — with friends & solo — I have enjoyed the simple yet tactical gameplay a lot. And my friends already asking "when we have time to play again?". I recommend you get the Adventures Companion* expansion also to have much deeper playing experience as it adds a lot of cards, rules and others stuff into gameplay.

* You should be warned, though, that there is a lot of "see page XXX" typos in Adventures Companion rules text and some other clitches, but I haven't found any game breaking issues yet. The hundreds of cards are OK. Mantic has published an official Errata already where you can find the targeted XXX pages.
The adventures companion errors go far beyond XXX. The rules section is full of people who do not know what to do with this part or that part because the rules are either unclear, poorly worded or self contradicting, or just plain missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
The actual gameplay is reportedly quite fun. The figure quality is imperfect, but fixable. Mantic totally bungled the biggest Kickstarter incentive (what was supposed to be the hardback Adventurers Compendium has about a third the promised content and is riddled with typos/errors/omissions). If I had it to do over again, I would wait for a good deal at an online retailer (if I got it at all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soldier wrote:

Some complaints about component quality? Why are didn't they design the tiles with puzzle fittings?

As the main issues have been mentioned, I'll point out that any game project that raises over a million dollars has a number of speculators who back only to list on eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cutthroat Cardboard (Barry)
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bear in mind that some of the sales are from people who bought multiple KS sets. I've picked up one of those and so far I'm fairly pleased with my purchase. I had the advantage however of knowing where to set my expectations.

The adventurers companion is a bit of a mess but I'd rather have it as it stands, as a useful but not always useable resource, than not have it at all....

My initial impressions of the simple tactical game play have been positive. We'll see how it stands up to the acid test of our gaming group tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kickstarter has left a bit of a sour taste in many backers mouths. The game itself is apparently good, but we didn't get everything we were promised and certain things changed without them notifying us. As has been mentioned, the Hardback companion is a bit of a joke. Furthermore, the KS stuff all just comes in loads of plastic bags with no official component list having being released by Mantic, and loads of mispacks seem to have happened.

I suspect some will have had enough of the hassle and are just getting out now. I was tempted to get shot myself as I've not been too impressed with a few things, but I'll try the game out first before jumping to conclusions based on the poor KS experience.

I don't think I'll be backing another Mantic KS in a hurry though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amano Liao
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I selled my copy on EBay because there is a german version incoming. Always better to play a game in mother language and its easier to bring it on the table with non-geek friends

I love the game mechanics and the atmosphere and I cant wait to get my fingers on it. For now I have a paintjob to do with the KS exclusive stuff, witch I did not sell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
THE GAME IS VERY GOOD.
Components are excellent.

Tile design is excellent and allows multiple layouts - puzzle fits lock you into one set up really.

Companion has the see page XXX mishap. Not a massive ruination some would beleive. Content very good.
Cannot comment on coop.

Buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSgt Keats
msg tools
I bought it only for coop, wish I had not at this point. It's probably too early for me to judge since my product is likely sitting in customs right now, but I'm not excited to get it at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
Maybe some people are disappointed with how the game turned out compared to what was mentioned in the designer's blog. For example anyone seen any sign of this:

Quickworthy wrote:
"this will include a variety of experience options for Heroes, and one of the ways they will earn that experience is by completing mini-quests. Whilst the Heroes will still need to co-operate to beat the Necromancer, they will also have some incentive to do their own thing. "
or the option to "buy and sell items" that was also mentioned?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wakefield
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
Troll66 wrote:
THE GAME IS VERY GOOD.
Components are excellent.

Tile design is excellent and allows multiple layouts - puzzle fits lock you into one set up really.

Companion has the see page XXX mishap. Not a massive ruination some would beleive. Content very good.
Cannot comment on coop.

Buy it.
The Gameplay for the basic set is solid. The components are poor and even more poor when compared to games in the same genre. Rubbery plastic furniture then hard plastic doors, why aren't they both made of hard plastic? The furniture is just poor. The tiles are thin and super dark, the clips do nothing to help the game, and the models have poor detail and are warped out of the box. For the advanced rules they're basically a beta game released too early with a bunch of publishing errors piled on top that just makes it massively worse. Don't get a KS version, just wait if you can for mantic to hopefully fix this mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
simon_j_barnes wrote:
Maybe some people are disappointed with how the game turned out compared to what was mentioned in the designer's blog. For example anyone seen any sign of this:

Quickworthy wrote:
"this will include a variety of experience options for Heroes, and one of the ways they will earn that experience is by completing mini-quests. Whilst the Heroes will still need to co-operate to beat the Necromancer, they will also have some incentive to do their own thing. "
or the option to "buy and sell items" that was also mentioned?

it's the timed and task goals in the base game.
Also you can buy items in the marketplace,so not sure what you're talking about...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Max23 wrote:
The components are poor
uh?what?
i totally disagree with this.
Minis are really good(poor details on minis ?this is nonsense !) ,furnitures also are excellent.
And tiles are good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wakefield
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
Belsamoreth wrote:
Max23 wrote:
The components are poor
uh?what?
i totally disagree with this.
Minis are really good(poor details on minis ?this is nonsense !) ,furnitures also are excellent.
And tiles are good.

If you are happy with the game materials then great, you're entitled to your opinion. I think they suck really bad, the furniture is some flexible rubbery plastic. Its just utter crap. It shouldn't be squishy. Thin card tiles is what I expected from mantic but I hoped they would be thick(like advertised in the KS)similar to descent, WHQ, or myth. but their not and to boot they all are way too dark. there is relatively no color really popping off of the tiles. The minis are skinny, smallish and not well defined. I don't know where you think there is a great amount of detail. Don't even get me started about traps, acrylic hearts(Zelda really?)or the AC. This is substandard garbage with nice basic game rules. Don't buy a KS copy, wait for 2nd edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the replies. This is disappointing, but I am glad I didn't back the Kickstarter. I already own just about everything from Descent and don't need another non-coop dungeon crawl, especially one with these issues.

It may seem like a minor point, but the quality of the tiles kills it for me. I got Dwarf King's Hold very cheaply and is also a big disappointment on that count. Its hard to believe Mantic didn't fix the issue...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wallack Wallack
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I might want to sell mine just because I have too many things going on but I LOVE the game, as I also love descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Grabner
Austria
Breitenbach am Inn
Triol
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Soldier wrote:

Some complaints about component quality? Why didn't they design the tiles with puzzle fittings?

Hi Raymond,

Here is my opinion for what it's worth:
Are the components "excellent"? Nah, one can find better.
Are they "utter crap" then? Nope. They do exactly what they are supposed to do.

Tiles:
They are dark, which might be the purpose. They provide a dark, cold and grim environment. In my opinion, some of them are a bit too dark, as I have trouble seeing the grid on one larger tile (only on one tile, which of course should not have happened at all. Still playable though). There is definitely a contrast to the cartoonish, colourful tiles you find in Descent 2.
The provided tiles are also thinner than the one found in Space Hulk or Descent.

But honestly: we played nearly the whole basic campaign and the tiles worked fine. As long as they don't bend, warp or break while playing, the tiles get the job done.
Why did the tiles not come with puzzle fittings? Well, you would severely limit the options: Puzzle pieces can only connect in one way. With clean edges, you can turn and attach the tiles on so many more ways. No, puzzle fittings would have been wrong. The translucent connectors are not used in my gaming group. I believe, those are not necessary.

Miniatures:
They are not collectible resin pieces, but board game tokens. Yes, they will come bend. I had one figure broken from its base.
But you know what? I used hot water to get them back in shape and super glue to get that one figure back into the game. Took me about an hour. I did not have to trim any flash and I am normally picky about that.
If you expect tabletop grade wargaming miniatures, you will be disappointed.
If you just have a board game night with friends, you will be sucked into the game and have a good time. I know, we do. And once you are there, details like nipple piercings on a figurine (actually, they are present on the Moloch miniature) just will go unnoticed.

Furniture:
Doors are hard plastic, the furniture are some kind of softer plastic. In my opinion they are more than fine. How much detail do you need for a barrel? The bookshelves are wonderful and are detailed on all sides including the bottom side you are not going to see. Once you will play the game, the furnitures will provide the little extra immersion, that made HeroQuest great.

Adventure Companion
This one is a disappointment. It is the one thing, which has been screwed up.
I would have preferred that the game would have been delayed another month or two for proper proof reading and editing of this one book. Right now, everyone is focusing on this issue (and it is an issue) and the whole game suffers for it. A well done AC could have made this game an instant classic.
But now, the consequence is you wondering if it is worth to get into the game at all...

I would suggest, that you wait with your final verdict. Do not buy the game now. Instead come back in half a year and check on the status of the adventure companion. Guys like "Brad P" and other fellow boardgamegeek members are already working on the issue (Although, they should not have to do it...).

For my gaming group, this game has officially replaced HeroQuest and this is a rare feat. The game play IS good. My board game buddies have been sceptical at first. Now, two of them have decided to buy the german version...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am trying but it is pretty much a sand without the box issue.

Mantic did themselves a real disservice by not doing two shipments. The main game and expansions then the Dungeon Journal and AC with the exclusives or add ons.

Jake said today that he has not looked at DS stuff in like 6 months which might be just a figure of speech or it might imply that they really thought the AC in its current form (ignoring the XXX stuff which is just I thought you did it sort of issue) was acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Grabner
Austria
Breitenbach am Inn
Triol
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
eriochrome wrote:
I am trying but it is pretty much a sand without the box issue.

Mantic did themselves a real disservice by not doing two shipments. The main game and expansions then the Dungeon Journal and AC with the exclusives or add ons.
You are absolutely right.

eriochrome wrote:
Jake said today that he has not looked at DS stuff in like 6 months which might be just a figure of speech or it might imply that they really thought the AC in its current form (ignoring the XXX stuff which is just I thought you did it sort of issue) was acceptable.
Well, might be that they do not have enough staff or they tried too many kick-starters at once. I do not know. They messed up. Happens. We will have to deal with that.

For what it's worth, I really appreciate the effort you put in. You certainly have started to get the issues organised.

Cheers,

Henrik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls