Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Nunes
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a core set and a punch of packs from a buddy of mine, along with several extra asylum packs from my FLGS. I know the game is not making anything new after the Mark of Madness Expansion. I was wondering what packs/expansions are the best? Which sets have the staple cards? (If you play Netrunner, think Opening Moves for Jackson Howard)

Here is a list of what I have.

I. Forgotten Lore
--Conspiracies of Chaos

II. Summons of the Deep
--The Thing From the Shore

III. Dreamlands
--None

IV. Yuggoth Contract
--Screams From Within
--The Cacophony

V. The Rituals of Order
--The Twilight Beckons
--Perilous Trails
--Initiations of the Favored
--Gleaming Spiral

VI. Ancient Relics
--The Shifting Sands
--Curse of the Jade Emperor
--The Breathing Jungle
--Into Tartarus
--Shadow of the Monolith

VII. Revelations
--Written and Bound
--Ebla Restored
--Lost Rites

VIII. Secrets of Arkham
IX. Order of the Silver Twilight
X. Seekers of Knowledge
XI. Terror in Venice

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry no one answered this question. I just ordered a core set for myself & was wondering if you've sorted anything out? Are there go-to sets, or does each pack have its uses?

From the website, I can't even figure out if the core set is enough to play these packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each pack has its own uses. The most recommended expansions after the Core would typically be Terror in Venice it Secrets of Arkham. The only pack I'd consider "special" is Shifting Sands, because it has the most recent story cards in it.

You can play with a single Core, what you do is pick two faction mini-decks and shuffle them together. If you want to get into building your own decks you'll want more cards but you can definitely play with just one Core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Avilés
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had seen offered on ebay the organized play Call of Cthulhu tournament kits. Can I play the game with what is in that box or it might be too advance for a beginner? Is the game playable solo and with a partner right out of that box or will you still need a core set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tournament kits are prize kits, there are no decks inside - only a few promo card to hand out to the players.

To play the game, you should start with the Core box. If you want a bigger start, you can augment with Terror in Venice or Secrets of Arkham to have more cards to build from.

There isn't an official solo mode, but there are a couple of solo variants posted here on BGG where you make a deck for yourself and to play against and the rules sort of provide an AI opponent to play the other deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls