Popular Tags: [View All]
Manjula Guneratne
Canada
North York
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions about this game. Haven't heard much buzz about it yet. I am quite interested in this since it's from Alan Moon and I have enjoyed a couple of his games.
Is this a family weight game or does it cater to gamers as well with the new expansions in the box?
And please let me know if it's a good 2p game. That will definitely change my opinion about purchasing the game.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game, don't consider it too light, but it's not good with two (or even, IMO three) and is best with five or six.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they go with the elfenroads rules, it adds money to the game and thus, auctions, earning money on trips to the towns, etc. Not light. Elfenlands basic is more friendly, but it is not TtR weight at all. It has some bad luck moments bewarned, but is short enough to not worry about it: 60 minutes for veterans 4 player game. 2 player is harder to work to visit all places (since it is almost clearly on your part to do so), but less competition to screw it up for you, so player interaction is lessened if you like that.

Remember this is good enough to get Game of the Year in Germany back in 1998, before TtR was even conceived. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
It's essentially three games (with three rules sets) in the box. Elfenland is fine for families. Elfenroads/Gold is a rather long, brutal auction based game. Elfensee ... well, I'm curious about that myself, but it appears to be more at the family/Elfenland end.

Graphically it's a step backwards (slightly more difficult on the eyes) ... but Doris was one of the best back in the old days, so no surprise there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a demo copy at GenCon.

ElfenSea has a different map (with more water), some different transportation options at sea (and fewer on land, IIRC). It also has bonuses for reaching the farthest points (from the start). I think it's closer in complexity to Elfenland than Elfenroad.

The sea obstacles are moved to ElfenRoad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there is always King of the Elves which has the same elfenland/gold abstractly done with only cards and money chits. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
TEIGNMOUTH
Devon
flag msg tools
Taunton Marathon 2009
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
I like the game, don't consider it too light, but it's not good with two (or even, IMO three) and is best with five or six.
Elfenland is perfectly good with two. You simply fold the board in half and visit the ten eastern towns twice, which improves interaction. I don't know whether this works with Elfenroads, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutton
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:

Remember this is good enough to get Game of the Year in Germany back in 1998, before TtR was even conceived. devil
That's not strictly true . TtR is a direct descendent of Santa Fe, which was published in the same year as Elfenroads (1992). It's just that the SF design spawned rather more game spinoffs than Elfenroads possibly could. The short list includes

Santa Fe
Santa Fe Rails
Clippers
10,000 variants of TtR

and arguably

Airlines
Union Pacific
On the Underground (which is much better than TtR IMHO)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls