Subject: Friendly competition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
We'd love to play the game co-op, but there's only 2 of us and we don't want to have to share control of a 3rd player.

So we're trying to see if there's a more 'friendly' way to play. The main thing to do to achieve this would seem to be

1) once someone moves hunters onto a card, it's off limits to other players, so first come first served.

2) having a war council lets a player later in turn order go first, instead of it's current function to let a first player go last and wait to see what everyone else does.

3) negotiation lets you break rule #1, and the tribal player can negotiate to move onto a card where the vocal player is (or invite a vocal player onto the card he's on) and roll to get successes, but the late arriving player can't take cards into hand, only the player who was there first can.

Thoughts? Would this knock things all out of whack? I'd really rather not have to be at each other's throats in the game, but from reading the rules so far, it seems that's definitely a big part of the DNA of this game? Would it work at all for carebears like us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternately, anyone have any thoughts about hot to modify the current co-op rules to allow for only two species? Both players have to survive with domestication obviously. Maybe as part of setup, fewer discs/cubes than normal are available for the game? Or extra event cards to survive through?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played through a two species game solo. You don't need to play with all three out on the table, it works fine and there is less contention for resources.

Whilst negotiations only happen once at least one of you has gone tribal, that doesn't mean that you have to fight over things. The species sexuality strongly affects endgame scoring and it is totally possible to chase different goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I started a solo game to get the mechanics down and got all excited when I completed the portals for my first new Elder -- and then was crest-fallen to realize it was a Warrior and doesn't have much use in a co-operative game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:

Thoughts? Would this knock things all out of whack? I'd really rather not have to be at each other's throats in the game, but from reading the rules so far, it seems that's definitely a big part of the DNA of this game? Would it work at all for carebears like us?
I have not played the game a lot yet, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think you are missing out a lot of the 'fun' if you remove the competitive nature of the game. This is a game about survival of the fittest in a harsh environment, that will only get harsher as the game goes on. I did not find the solo version of Greenland interesting at all and would assume the same is true for Neanderthal.

If you play coop you have an exercise at minimizing risk... and a lot of repetitive dice rolling. If you include competition with other player you have a game (and a great one at that)!

There are two clever variants for 'solo vs an AI' for Greenland (in the variants section) and I would strongly suggest you check them out (one has a proto-ruleset for 2 vs the system as well). You need at least one bad guy at the table to compete with in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ckremer2 wrote:
I have not played the game a lot yet, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think you are missing out a lot of the 'fun' if you remove the competitive nature of the game.
Haven't played it yet (still trying to digest the rules), but from what I do understand of the game, I'm inclined to agree!

Quote:
There are two clever variants for 'solo vs an AI' for Greenland (in the variants section) and I would strongly suggest you check them out (one has a proto-ruleset for 2 vs the system as well). You need at least one bad guy at the table to compete with in my opinion.
Cool, I'll check those out, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Bulbous also tapered?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you must play with a sense of competition and want the third species in the game, I think alternating control of the third player is your best option.

You can always use the designer's suggestion:
Quote:
the players are equally victorious only if at least two species survive with one or more domestic animals at the end of the game.
Acheiving a cooperative victory does not preclude one of you scoring higher than the other player at game's end
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, will you be filming this one soon!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adverb
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neanderthal hugs for everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SapoLJackson wrote:
hoping to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
SapoLJackson wrote:
hoping to!

Excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls