Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were looking to extend the game by approximately 2 turns, as we were feeling the game ended too early. I was thinking of adding tile cards to the deck in this manner: 2 players: 4 cards, 3 players: 6 cards, 4 player 8 cards (have to check to see if this is possible).
What do you think? Would it cause too much of an imbalance with tiles being depleted? Is there any other suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
It says "Scythe"
badge
Something Clever!
Microbadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Forbidden Stars fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium fan
I think upping it from 11 cards per player to 12 or 13 wouldn't mess with it too much. Even in a 4 player game, depleting a room stack happens somewhat rarely. I definitely vote for this.much more than the people whomplay with the full deck regardless.of player count.

I will add that Secrets makes more sleeping rooms available and they extend the game quite a bit when you complete several per.game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
...depleting a room stack happens somewhat rarely.
I can't agree with this at all. Last game I played was 2-player, and we depleted two room stacks as well as all the stairs and hallways. We normally deplete at least one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Steck
United States
Benton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Andy that depleting stacks happens regularly. I play primarily 4-player, and it's pretty uncommon that there's not at least two empty stacks at the end of the game.

Also. There's only a total of 50 room cards, so adding 8 to a 4-player game is not possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing with Secrets without the swans but using the new rooms. Basically you take 2-3 rooms out depending on the size to keep the ratios even. So if I add room cards, I can just take out 1 or 2 less for each room tile. That should balance the depleted stacks.

So base game:
2 players: add 4 room cards; remove 1 tile from large and 2 tiles from small
3 players: add 6 room cards, use all tiles
4 players: use all cards and tiles

With expansion tiles (ignoring swans)
2 players: remove an additional 3
3 players: remove an additional 3
4 players: remove an additional 1

How does that sound to you guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
It says "Scythe"
badge
Something Clever!
Microbadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Forbidden Stars fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium fan
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
iswearihaveajob wrote:
I can't agree with this at all. Last game I played was 2-player, and we depleted two room stacks as well as all the stairs and hallways. We normally deplete at least one.
Why in the hell are you buying so many hallways/stairs? I hear about people doing this somewhat often. They aren't worth any points and cost as much as some of the cheaper rooms. We have NEVER run out of Hallways. Seriously, you can't afford a 0 point turn, let alone several. Sure you can finish a room or something but you could also do that with an actual room. Other than favors and bonus cards I see no point in them. Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
iswearihaveajob wrote:
Why in the hell are you buying so many hallways/stairs? I hear about people doing this somewhat often. They aren't worth any points and cost as much as some of the cheaper rooms. We have NEVER run out of Hallways. Seriously, you can't afford a 0 point turn, let alone several. Sure you can finish a room or something but you could also do that with an actual room. Other than favors and bonus cards I see no point in them. Am I missing something?
Yeah. You're missing that one of the favours out was for the number of corridor rooms. And also that I had a bonus card for stairs. Admittedly, this combination is unusual, but it's still quite likely that we'd deplete at least one room stack per game.

I made 117 points that game, iirc.

Oh, and of course - they are worth points if you deplete them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Mal: Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us? Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir! Mal: Ain't we just.
mbmbmbmbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
Other than favors and bonus cards I see no point in them. Am I missing something?
Don't forget about the ol' "close-a-kitchen, get another turn, close-another-kitchen, get another turn, get a free staircase, use it to close a kitchen, get another turn, get a downstairs room, close the staircase, since you closed a staircase, you get a free hallway..." routine!

Rare for us to not have two or three stacks depleted in a 4 player game. One of them usually being either hallways or staircases, and then counting those up as part of the depleted-stack scoring at the end, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Mc'Art
Belgium
Lillois
flag msg tools
badge
AllYearLong Santa
mbmbmbmbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:

We often deplete or nearly deplete those stacks too.
They are useful for the placement of tiles. One of my friend even managed to use them, planning a yellow tile that would fit between them. He then bought a yellow tile and replayed immediately by closing the yellow tile.
Some rooms also have double entrance side by side (there is even a triple entrance in a red 600 tile) that you can close with Hallway.

Stairs are often used even if no downstairs rooms are available. They represent a threat if only one player has an open end to a downstairs room. That mean that players can either buy low cost downstairs tiles without competition and/or balance the price of room to a higher price because nobody can buy the cheap downstairs rooms.

When you buy them, you usually have something in your mind to do with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could just literally play 2 more turns after the room deck has depleted.

My game group also feels the game ends JUST A LITTLE too early.

I don't foresee either solution seriously wrecking the balance.

Why don't you try it and find out? Seriously, no one's going to call the authorities if you do. If it doesn't work, go back to playing by the rules again; if it does work, just be sure to tell anyone who joins your games that you're using a house rule

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls