Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Esko
United States
White Haven
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm designing a board game revolving largely around collecting gemstones as resources, but I cant figure out the rarity because some of them are so close.
My main trouble is finding rarity levels in diamond, emerald, ruby and sapphire.
So I am coming here for help.

These are the stones I plan on using:

Diamond
Emerald
Ruby
Amber
Sapphire
Amethyst

What would you say is the best order? (from rarest (most expensive) to most common (Least expensive))?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would order them as such

Diamond
Ruby
Emerald
Sapphire
Amethyst
Amber
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maja Stanislawska
Finland
VANTAA
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving. Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with Michael. This list looks reasonable.

If you need some technical geology-related help (or testing), you can contact me, I am a geologist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the question is more complicated than you would think but, going by value in the gem market makes more sense than by 'rarity' (diamonds are not rare - almost every woman owns some. and CLEAN emeralds are quite rare. Add synthetic vs natural and the question gets more muddied.)

and ruby and sapphire are the same mineral (corundum) in different colors.

I would probably just use michael's list with one modification - swap emerald and sapphire.

Also, if the game's location is not on earth, you could substitute jade for amber - amber is fossilized tree resin. I would put jade above amethyst.

(I'm a hobby facetor/gemcutter)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.