Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Keil
United States
Blue Springs
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im a big Uwe fan and the only big games im missing are Ora et Labora and Fields of Arle. I dont get to buy games often so i was wondering which of these 2 would you suggest getting first? I know Arle is only 2 so taking that out of considderation which would you choose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ora et Labora is long, as Le Havre is, and is quite similar to it, though it has a "tile laying" mechanic (the settlement cards) that make it different from LH (and I prefer OeL to LH for this).
It's also less punishing than LH.

FoA is quite a different game; I've played it only once, so I cannot really say anything about it, except that it has a mixture of different mechanics that make it a bit different from "standard" Uwe games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Wojtkielewicz
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
He who comes too late is punished by life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Played both many times, OeL is clearly the better game. FoA has lots of charm, but lacks that competitive edge that mid period Rosenberg games have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C.
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are great games, but I would go with Ora et Labora.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paris

Monforte de Lemos
LUGO
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say go with Fields of Arle. If you have all of his other big games then you have Le Havre. Now, Ora et Labora is a wonderful game. It's long. It involves building an incredibly advanced economy of resource flipping and it's often been described as his next step on from Le Havre. The two have lots of differences, sure, OeL adds some spacial elements begin one of the biggest.
But FoA has a completely different feel. It won't be an evolution so much as a revolution; it's a big step in a different direction. FoA is Uwe's least punishing big game that I have ever played; It is a true pleasure to play even when you're not in the mood for stress. Yes you have to think; it's a very nicely tuned game but the experience of it is just nothing but joy. Agricola is still my favourite Rosenberg but FoA is his most joyful jewel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ora et Labora is one of the worst games I ever played. Someone here compared it to Le Havre, but Le Havre is one of my favorite games, while I positively hate Ora.

So I'd go with Fields. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
* J *
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields of Arle is my favorite game of all time. That is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
If you play mostly 1 and 2, Arle. 3 and up, Ora. But really, both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls