Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The box says 2-4 players, right? I get that they probably mean four players as two two-player teams, and three could be a 2:1 thing, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a rebel versus imperial versus scum, all on the same board at the same time? Seems like it would get interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
I've not done it, but I believe there's a scenario in either Most Wanted or the IG-2000 expansions that covers a three-way battle with imperials, rebels and scum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
We do that pretty regularly in my household. When we do, it's usually me against my two boys (age 7 and 6.)

It works, but the 2 player side is at a bit of a disadvantage, because they don't coordinate their movements as well as a single player does. Unity of command matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
We do that pretty regularly in my household. When we do, it's usually me against my two boys (age 7 and 6.)

It works, but the 2 player side is at a bit of a disadvantage, because they don't coordinate their movements as well as a single player does. Unity of command matters.
Agreed. While I haven't tried a 3 player, each with equal points game, any two on ones don't end well for the two players - as stated about, it's difficult to co-ordinate.

As I commented to one team-mate once "well, if you wouldn't have flown straight at him while I was still on the other side of the board...!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the TableTop episode they did a two-on-two battle, and the players huddled together to coordinate movement. It didn't always help; Seth Green and his wife still ended up running in to each other at one point if memory serves...

My younger son is full-on Imperial; he couldn't give me the X-Wing from his Force Awakens core set fast enough. He has a friend who has Rebel, and I mostly have Rebel but I've picked up a few Scum ships. I think at some point we'll try a three-way battle just to see how it turns out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: WingMicrobadge: Are you lookin' at me?!Microbadge: Southern New England WargamersMicrobadge: Er... not completely!Microbadge: Wing
Done it.. 200 points per side. One side takes all 200 other side splits the 200 points into two 100 point squads. I thought it worked well. Took a long time and I had a lot on my plate with 200 points and trying to teach the game at the same time, but it was fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
Done it.. 200 points per side. One side takes all 200 other side splits the 200 points into two 100 point squads. I thought it worked well. Took a long time and I had a lot on my plate with 200 points and trying to teach the game at the same time, but it was fun.
That's a good equalizer - overload the single player with decisions. Or if you weren't teaching maybe impose a time limit for planning, like you get 15 seconds after the 2-player side is done.

Another way is to give additional X points to the 2-player side.

Per the OP:
The IG-2000 expansion has a 3-player mission.

As a straight-up dogfight, it can sometimes end up with an early elimination (if two sides gang-up on one) and then it's just a 2-player dogfight. We've tried that once before and nobody really liked it because of that. Next time I'd maybe introduce a winning condition of:
Rebels defeat Scum, Scum defeat Imperial, Imperial defeat Rebels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theashers wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:
That's a good equalizer - overload the single player with decisions. Or if you weren't teaching maybe impose a time limit for planning, like you get 15 seconds after the 2-player side is done.

Another way is to give additional X points to the 2-player side.

Per the OP:
The IG-2000 expansion has a 3-player mission.

As a straight-up dogfight, it can sometimes end up with an early elimination (if two sides gang-up on one) and then it's just a 2-player dogfight. We've tried that once before and nobody really liked it because of that. Next time I'd maybe introduce a winning condition of:
Rebels defeat Scum, Scum defeat Imperial, Imperial defeat Rebels.
I played in a 1v1v1 game before and it was terrible. Granted it was a straight up dogfight as mentioned and it turned into two players going after one person and a quick elimination. I had always wanted to try it, but it is not something I would do again. At the least I would do 2v1 and the single player gets 150-200 points against the other two people at 100 pts each. I can coordinate and they cannot so I get the disadvantage of a few less points/ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drathbun wrote:
The box says 2-4 players, right?
No, the box says "A miniatures game of tactical space combat for 2 players". The BGG entry says 2-4 players, which is wrong, but better than when it said 2-3 players because there is a 4 player variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
My best success for 1v1v1 is to find a nice point value where you can evenly split you fleet. Then, each player essentially sends half their fleet against each opponent (this does require a sort of agreement from everyone to cooperate). You then end up with three simultaneus 1v1 fights that have a chance to bleed into each other as they range across the map. That has been the only way I see 1v1v1 battles go well.

So one IG2000 attacks the Imperial and one attacks the rebel. The imperial player sends their 2 interceptors against the IG2000 and the decimator against the Rebels. Etc.

I think it would apply to 4 players as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Guibord
Canada
Vaudreuil-dorion
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best way I think it is to play a 3 player game is to go with scoring.

You do XX victory point per point of damage (hits) you do (critical are worth 2 points). No scoring bonus for actually destroying an opponent.

Game ends when one of the player is completely destroyed. When this happens, you check the total number of victory point and declare a winner.

Solve the "2 vs 1 ganking". If it happens, the game just end quickly without necessary having them winning (the player being ganked on could pull the most damage).

Another possibility is to create a scenario with each side having an "objective" and the one who can complete his objective first wins the game. That may require a little more thinking and tweaking to make sure all objectives are balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
My best success for 1v1v1 is to find a nice point value where you can evenly split you fleet. Then, each player essentially sends half their fleet against each opponent (this does require a sort of agreement from everyone to cooperate). You then end up with three simultaneus 1v1 fights that have a chance to bleed into each other as they range across the map. That has been the only way I see 1v1v1 battles go well.

So one IG2000 attacks the Imperial and one attacks the rebel. The imperial player sends their 2 interceptors against the IG2000 and the decimator against the Rebels. Etc.

I like this approach, and we'll see about trying it the next time we have a 3-person game... thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
Another twist on the scoring is to modify the point value of a kill based on what position a player is currently in - killing the leader's ships is worth 1.5x the points, and killing the current loser's ships is only worth .5x the points. Gives great incentive to not merely beat one player into non-existence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Jones
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's the beauty in the balancing of this game in the point system. I've played with 2, 3 and 4 players both as a two sided battle, three way battle and four way battle. We've also teamed up sides and even had a 1 Imperial against 3 rebel players battle. It's always been fun and fairly balanced through the fights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
theashers wrote:
Church14 wrote:

I like this approach, and we'll see about trying it the next time we have a 3-person game... thanks!
Also, turrets take a lot of the fun out of this way of playing to me. I wouldn't recommend TLT y wings unless they are the btl variant. Same for decimaters or falcons. Honestly, I would like to run it with a bunch of proton rocket awings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone remember the IROC Camaro series from a few (ahem, okay, maybe more than a few) years back? The concept was that a bunch of drivers got the same car, tuned the same way, and they all raced. The theory was to take the pit crew and mechanics out of the equation and see who truly was the best driver. (IROC stood for International Race of Champions if I remember correctly.) The same thing could be done here. Set up four teams, one on each side of the board, each with two A-Wing / B-Wing / Tie whatever ships, all with exactly the same upgrades. See who flies the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Callaghan
msg tools
Play this all the time. We roll for initiative, then choose who attacks who in initiative order so everyone has a different target. Asteroids are placed, 1 by player 1, 1 by player 2, 2 by player 3, then player 2 places or moves an asteroid followed by player 1 either placing or moving an asteroid. Either set up in the corners or middle of each side, range two in. Points are given for killing target ships based on ship cost and removed by killing the other players ships. Once you have killed all your initial target ships the remaining players become each other's target. We also put a 90 minute timer on. A lot of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have two ways.

1v2

Give the lone flyer 100 pts and the team 60 pts each. The lack of coordination makes up for the point differential. They can talk openenly, but they can't show dials.

A vs B vs C vs A

A wins is B is fully eliminated
B wins if C is fully eliminated
C wins if A is fully eliminated

So, you can't really Attack the guy coming after you, but sometimes you need to to stop from dying. It works and creates some interesting movement around the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Snape
United Kingdom
Blandford Forum
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Rebel v Imperial v Scum with my kids, all 100 pts each and it's been a lot of fun!

The issue of ganging up on one player has never really happened so far, probably because as you maneuver to hit one ship another enters your arc and therefore becomes the new target temporarily. There will always be one player who gets destroyed first but that rarely happens before at least one of the other players has lost ships too.

As it's just for fun (and I'm playing with the kids) I do make a concious effort to not just target one of them!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Merchant
United States
Bristol
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
Our group plays this all the time. It is amazing how two guys will toe to toe pounding the tar out of each other then turn back to back to pound on the third player many fun games. The key is to not get caught in the middle. In a swirling dogfight that's where it gets tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls