Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Scinocca
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,
So my personal nightmare has striked and I have no idea what I should do. So my entire apartment building is being sprayed for bed bugs because it is so bad apparently. I have lived there a year and a half with never having any and am paranoid about them i.e. checking my traps and bed every other day. So with them coming in 1 1/2 weeks to spray my apartment down guess who found 2 small bed bug nymphs in the traps and one blood spot on my sheets.
My problem is that I am completely paranoid of these things and hope that the two sprays will get rid of them but I constantly hear of them travelling in books etc. Because of this I don't know what to do with my games. I love my (rather expensive) collection and don't want to commit the sin of throwing them away but I think I am going to be paranoid of carrying them to my next apartment when I move in 8 months or re-infecting my place now. Has anyone had any experience like this? What did you do? Thanks for the input guys.
Sincerely,
Stressed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear that-- that sounds awful. And it's something many of us are afraid of! soblue

I believe, though, if you put all your games (and books and whatever else) in the freezer (seal them in plastic bags first) for a week, that should kill bedbugs. A chest freezer would work best.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Microbadge: Challenge to play 10 games 10 times each hardcore participantMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan Microbadge: Fringe fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
Wikipedia: An hour at a temperature of 45 °C (113 °F) or over, or two hours at less than −17 °C (1 °F) kills them.

So, I'm guessing you will have your oven set to bake for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Wikipedia: An hour at a temperature of 45 °C (113 °F) or over, or two hours at less than −17 °C (1 °F) kills them.

So, I'm guessing you will have your oven set to bake for a while.

This. Bedbugs much like fleas and ticks and such hate heat, they are small so are easily cooked. Granted you don't want to cook your games but heat will kill them. The trick here is that most people don't have a contained heater outside of their oven in the kitchen. Even on "Warm" setting that is about 200 degrees °F / 93.3 °C which shouldn't burn the components but might cause warping. I'm thinking if you put them in on a cookie sheet on aluminum foil and leave the door open that would work. Just keep an eye on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Do shifts of leaving your games in your car's trunk for several hours during winter. You live in Canada so you should have plenty of freezing temperatures coming up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you had a balcony or secured porch you could leave them outside in the freezing temperatures for many hours on a clear day. Assuming it gets under 0 degrees Fahrenheit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Edwards
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the games in your bedroom? (Or someone's bedroom?) They are attracted to (body) heat and CO2, so if they're stored in a random room in your apartment, then they're probably bug free.

(Source: I've had bed bugs, and when I got rid of them, I ignored my games completely.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bed Bugs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
I used to have that game.

Pete (left it in his trunk in the winter and it doesn't work any more)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katina Choovanski
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
aka KabukiKid on Youtube. Yeah, I have a few online aliases. heh ;-)
mbmbmbmbmb
There are companies that use extreme heat to kill bedbugs. They have equipment that raises the heat inside your home high enough to accomplish this for the proper amount of time. Obviously, this isn't a cheap option, but it is effective and will kill them wherever they hide. If you invest in this option, they won't survive in your games and everything should be safe. :-)

I have also seen methods where they use frozen CO2 and they spray that all over the place to kill the bedbugs. I guess you could have someone with such equipment come in and spray the hell out of your collection (inside and out) to guarantee they are clean, as well.

Hot or cold... pick your poison. ;-)

~Kat ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katina Choovanski
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
aka KabukiKid on Youtube. Yeah, I have a few online aliases. heh ;-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Admje14 wrote:
Are the games in your bedroom? (Or someone's bedroom?) They are attracted to (body) heat and CO2, so if they're stored in a random room in your apartment, then they're probably bug free.

(Source: I've had bed bugs, and when I got rid of them, I ignored my games completely.)
This is a very good point... they aren't likely to hide in your games unless they are stored close to where people often are... and when they are sleeping. (Bedbugs come out to feed when we sleep.) Therefore, you usually only have to to target the rooms where people sleep (They hide in your mattress, box spring, bed frame, alarm clock, night stand, etc...) to eliminate them.

~Kat ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
I've seen people build DIY bedbug killing heat chambers to put stuff in to sanitize it. Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZkJdViVClY

You could look into that for when you are ready to move, just make sure to bake everything for a couple hours in that before you move them. Your games should survive those temperatures pretty ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjami Pitarch
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I was about to say. 45ºC are pretty easy to get (we get very close here in summer). Just pick the smallest room in your house (maybe the bathroom), and buy a couple of electric heaters like the one in the vid (30-40€ each here). Put all your games in that room and cranck the heaters to 11 for a while, and the room should get to 45º easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Scinocca
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your advice everyone! I now see there are plenty of rational options I can take! Sometimes its just hard to be rational when this happens. But with a little effort on my part I should be able to sleep easy once they are gone and still play my games. Thank you everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Scinocca
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And they are also in my living room where I am not likely to have any in there. Would make no sense for them to venture to the board games when I can't even find any sign of them in the bed or couch (other than those I caught!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I would worry about is warping due to humidity change while you're heating/freezing them. Given you're going to move soon anyway, you might want to invest in a few big plastic tubs. They would protect against infestation (by anything) and prevent humidity changes.

Maybe in your area it's too late in the year, but on a hot day solar gain in a car will get temperatures in the car much higher than necessary. Or, they should hit freezing in the trunk in Winter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I read this advice recently: don't make your bed. Seriously.

Arrange your sheets so they air out and dry out to prevent bedbug infestations. A neat bed preserves the warmth and moisture (perspiration) by trapping it in layers of bedding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls