Subject: best expansion for one-off quests? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I used to own Descent, but sold my copy and haven't been paying too close attention to the new releases for the last couple years. There's a lot I like about the game, but the deal breaker has always been the way the game is totally geared towards a long multi-night campaign. The quests in the core set are totally unsatisfying for casual, single-evening play. I have played and enjoyed the Forgotten Soulds co-op mode.

So my question is, now that there are a million expansions, do any of them include quests that are really suitable for casual, non-campaign, play? Would anyone recommend the quests in the Heirs of Blood book for this, or is that really just another campaign that's only fun if you play the whole thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried any of the quests from FFG's Quest Vault? I get the impression most of them are designed as one-off adventures, plus they're free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found a lot of the Nerekhall and Shadow Rune quests to be great for epic play (epic meaning one-off.) I've found Labyrinth of Ruin generally not good for this, as those quests involve allies, and unless it is an early quest the ally will not have the skills it may have acquired during that part of the campaign.

I haven't had the opportunity to play many Heirs of Blood maps, yet.

Quest Vault is another great option. There are 2 quests that were made by FFG awhile ago, I have personally made a campaign and a mini campaign that consist of maps that can all be played individually, and there are numerous other authors who have made fun, engaging quests- some with very different rules than the "normal" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:
Have you tried any of the quests from FFG's Quest Vault? I get the impression most of them are designed as one-off adventures, plus they're free.
Well I haven't played Descent at all in years, and was thinking about getting back into it, but only if there were quests available that are fun for non-campaign play. There is so much stuff in the quest vault, much of it probably not play tested at all, it's hard to know where to begin. Are there any you would personally recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hero & Monster packs come with a two part quest. I typically play them using the "epic play" rules where the Heroes and Overloard get 3 XP and some gear/cards. I think they are pretty fun. They come with flavor text for the particular quest and don't seem to require a full campaign to enjoy. They are a little lighter then the small expansions.

Check out http://www.descentinthedark.com/2nd/ lots of pictures and info
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's cool. So it's a 2 encounter quest that stands on its own and is not meant to connect to a campaign? I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. There is a mechanic (Rumor cards) to add them to an extended campaign but they work as stand alone quests just fine. There's at least half a dozen out and FFG seems to always have new ones on the horizon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noahboa wrote:
srcabeza wrote:
Well I haven't played Descent at all in years, and was thinking about getting back into it, but only if there were quests available that are fun for non-campaign play. There is so much stuff in the quest vault, much of it probably not play tested at all, it's hard to know where to begin. Are there any you would personally recommend?
I haven't tried any of them myself, but the vault has a popularity ranking so you could have a look at the most popular ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls