Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Casual 2 player game for non-gamer, coffee shop setting, perhaps co-op rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Geusebroek
Canada
St Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having coffee with a friend who has shown a bit of interest in gaming, but so far we have never sat down to play a 'big' game together. As per the title, looking for something:
- simple / casual
- playable on a coffee shop table with 2 people
- perhaps co-op
- interesting / fun
- cool theme, maybe space / sci-fi

Was thinking Hanabi, but I'm not sure how well it plays with 2. Of course, I'm here because I'm looking for more suggestions.

Another thought is the new Risk: Star Wars Edition but it might be a little big for a coffee shop table.

Also Star Realms, although I have not played it myself yet, so it might be a miss trying to learn it together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Curnalia
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Be yourself, unless you can be Batman...then be Batman.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big fan of Star Realms, and with the Gambit Expansion you can do either competitive or co-op.

I would also recommend Tiny Epic Defenders, as a small co-op.

Paperback could be a good alternative for a deck-builder that is more "approachable". Everybody loves a good word game...right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stoner Fluxx

The best game for the theme coffee shop I guess...

Oh wait... You probably don't mean the dutch "coffee shops"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon's Ransom was designed for 2 player co-op (specifically couples, but wheres the distinction?)

Just don't use the role cards. It's never stated in the rules to not use them, but I thought by saying they were for the multiplayer game, it would be implied that they were not needed. My mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the small 2-player games I travel with with the hopes of getting someone to play with me... I travel a lot in airports and long tour buses hotels and restaurants.

Love Letters and Love Letters: Batman

Tides of Time

Duke

Why First

Blueprints

To name a few -m

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Geusebroek
Canada
St Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the recommendations thus far. Tides of Time looks interesting. And Star Realms may find it's way to my collection after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
Dragon's Ransom was designed for 2 player co-op (specifically couples, but wheres the distinction?)

Just don't use the role cards. It's never stated in the rules to not use them, but I thought by saying they were for the multiplayer game, it would be implied that they were not needed. My mistake.
Two players *is* multiplayer! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BraveRats is Love Letter for two players, essentially. I also prefer Cypher for a little bit more "game".

Star Realms is nice, and shouldn't take up too much table space. Eminent Domain: Microcosm seems like it might work also, though you may want to check the files section on BGG for the rules as the ones in the box are...yeesh.

VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game might be apropos of the setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Fantôme de l'Opéra has been hitting the spot I think you're describing for me recently. Not in spaaaaaaaace, but I think it's a very interesting and original theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Geusebroek
Canada
St Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Le Fantôme de l'Opéra has been hitting the spot I think you're describing for me recently. Not in spaaaaaaaace, but I think it's a very interesting and original theme.
As in, it won't fit on a coffee shop table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Geusebroek
Canada
St Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
BraveRats is Love Letter for two players, essentially. I also prefer Cypher for a little bit more "game".

Star Realms is nice, and shouldn't take up too much table space. Eminent Domain: Microcosm seems like it might work also, though you may want to check the files section on BGG for the rules as the ones in the box are...yeesh.

VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game might be apropos of the setting.
The game with the long name has been on my wishlist for a while. I just can't find it anywhere right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Karpavicius
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Epic Defenders
Tiny Epic Galaxies
Harbour
Eight-Minute Empire: Legends
+1 Eminent Domain: Microcosm
+1 Star Realms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive Pocket is always the answer.

Tides of Time is excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cleland
Canada
Carlisle
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 player love letter (batman or LOTR) is tough to beat.

can be playing a few minutes... almost no space needed... and if your friend likes it, give it to him and buy yourself a replacement for 7$
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
SEMark wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
As in, it won't fit on a coffee shop table?
as in? It'll fit just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Love letter is a lot of fun, but I find it to shine with more people.

Star Realms has a free app, so you can try it and learn the rules, to see if you like it. I think it's great, but not for everyone.

Lost Cities is an amazing 2 player game, super simple and can be played while having a conversation, but with enough challenge where you can't just ignore what's happening.

Paperback is like Scrabble + Dominion, and is a great game, but does take some space, and definitely is better after you've played it a couple of times to get the feel for it.

Jaipur is a fantastic 2 player game that will fit on a smaller table, and the rules are pretty easy to follow for someone who isn't a gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Space hulk: death angel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Great Heartland Hauling Co.
Isle of Trains
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Aahz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Star Realms
+1 Lost Cities
I would add Morels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Follower of JesusMicrobadge: We're all mad about JonnaMicrobadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: Tenderness and kindness are manifestations of strength and resolutionsMicrobadge: 2019 Women & Gaming Holiday Card Exchange Participant
Mr. Jack Pocket
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What did you wind up playing? How did it go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petrie
United States
Bowdoinham
ME
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Card games seem to be the way to go for this situation. I would go with Linko or maybe red 7?

If you don't mind a little noise quixx is pretty mellow, not very thematic though. You could bring a mat to stifle the noise.

I guess it depends on how boisterous/competive you want to get but maybe ghost blitz or jungle speed.

Jaipur and Biblios come up a lot, and while I enjoy them they are probably too fiddly for what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Geusebroek
Canada
St Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jukujin wrote:
What did you wind up playing? How did it go?
Bought Tides of Time. Looks interesting enough that I'll play it other times as well. Haven't gone for coffee yet, so not sure how it plays with that person yet...

Also buying Star Realms but I'll probably bring that out another time if Tides of Time goes over well.

Also considered games I own:
Hive - good, but a little thinky. Maybe another time.
Jaipur - good, but lots of bits. Maybe another time.
Blueprints - haven't played this myself yet. Looks like a good option but don't really want to be rolling dice in the coffee shop.
Lost Cities - I like it, but the themelessness of it doesn't help it here. Arguably tides of time doesn't have much theme either

Paperback was/is a fantastic mention here. Unfortunately I can't find it anywhere. It's definitely on my radar now.

Thanks everyone for the responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls