Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well I think most gamers here have more contact with good counters than good paper money so it might be skewed, I voted paper money because I'll remember firefly's paper money as one of the best. I think for me paper money you can just do so much more with, more art and simply having more. [of course it always depends on the game]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Remembrance day - lest we forget...Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: I'm not buying new games for me in 2018 Microbadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
I like chips as they taste better than paper money
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
Roll 1d6 and consult the table below.*
badge
*If you encounter the squid in the desert, it is a flying squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Paper money FTW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: Baltimore Orioles fanMicrobadge: Strategicon attendee
mafman6 wrote:
I think for me paper money you can just do so much more with, more art and simply having more. [of course it always depends on the game]
Yes, it does depend on the game...

Advantages of paper money:
--- THEME!! (thus your art reference) - No theme with poker chips.
--- Lighter weight (try lugging a 1,000 chip set that weighs over 30 pounds/13.6 kilograms around)
--- Easily hidden in closed money games

Advantages of poker chips:
--- Easier to count, especially at a distance in open money games (virtually all 18xx, for instance)
--- Much easier to handle (critical in games with lots of money transactions - using it can shave an hour or more off an 18xx game)
--- Doesn't wear nearly as quickly as paper money

I'm sure there are more advantages to each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HiveGod wrote:
Paper money FTW!
Flagged: Clowns

Chips are, uhh, easier to wash. You know, if that's necessary after some of your games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Paper money is generally horrible because the bills tend to stick together. Plus, they require more space on the table than chips and they are prone to folding, tearing, and getting dirty. You could probably count out a pile of chips in about half the time it takes to count out paper bills. I bought some small plastic chips in various denominations (with one blank side so you can use them in hidden information games if you want). I often use them instead of paper bills. I have also seen 18XX players using full-size poker chips instead of paper money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb

Whatever most resembles the currency of the time-location/theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Gray
United States
Astoria
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely chips. They are so much easier to keep track of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Miniature PainterMicrobadge: Name that tune!Microbadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Rhode Island
Coins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Donofrio
United States
Marina Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
I think the old version of Power Grid is a good example of why paper money can be inconvenient. Granted, the denominations in that game have different colors, which is the probably the main reason it's bad, especially when you're trying to hide how much you have. But in terms of paper in general, they tend to stick together and rip and get stained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dinomovies wrote:
But in terms of paper in general, they tend to stick together and rip and get stained.
FWIW none of my games with paper money have had any problem with them ripping or getting stained. Apparently you guys are harder on your game components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Los Gatos
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Likewise, but then all my paper money has been tossed in a tub as useless stuff and ignored ever since. I assume it is still there in much the same shape as when I unpacked the game the first time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious: why the geographically-separate polls? In what way did you think the responses would be different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Chiappa
United States
lincoln park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes exactly.
I was thinking (i guess now wrongly) that the preference of poker chips
was mostly from US players based on the fact that poker is so popular there.

Being a gamer for a lonnnng time mostly in Italy and partially in Europe never had the feeling to need poker chips and also never found friends
bring a poker suit case during game meeting.

Here in Usa i found that there is often (or always) someone who bring a poker suit along other games during meeting.

Personally i don't have a preference other than the fact that with poker chips i start playing with them making that boring noise..
(cling cling cling...).. but it's so good..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mashpotassium wrote:
Just curious: why the geographically-separate polls? In what way did you think the responses would be different?
My understanding is that we Americans tend to be more fond of the tactile feel of our money due to the residue of coke and stripper sweat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
The two polls are nice, so we can all vote twice. I think that Americans like poker chips, so I voted that way in the first poll, but I'm pretty sure that are more relaxed and hang out in cafes all day, so I voted that they don't care what kind of money they use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Edmonsds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not have the best of both worlds - Paper chips?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More games than not that use chips for currency come with cardboard chips, NOT the plastic kind. Even if a game came with those, sometimes they're not really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goats. They lend class to the game, and you can eat them afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjmelen wrote:
Goats. They lend class to the game, and you can eat them afterwards.
Not before eating the rest of your games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a game lends itself well to paper money, it's probably easier just to use paper and pencil.

Pete (far prefers poker chips)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I prefer poker chips to paper money but paper money to tokens. Often I would rather keep a running total on paper or use a track printed on the board. One could also use an abacus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
Microbadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: Kingdom Death: Monster - my corpses pave the groundMicrobadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: My Games For Trade
I would love to see good paper money in a game.
Maybe a bit thicker "cardboard"-ish...dunno.

In another thread about this someone linked a game about riverboats in the 18xx-years in America which seems to have gorgeous paper money...

But as long as paper money comes in such a bad quality I'm voting for counters. (Poker chips are nice, yes, but I like the counters more since they are smaller, lighter and easier to handle and to store.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Metal coins.

...Or failing that, punchboard coins.