Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Hobbit Army rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I always disliked to have the Shire-Folk represented by that "Northern Alliance Bowman".

Therefor we Play this VARIANT RULE for Hobbits.

TWO additional Miniatures are added to the game (pic will follow): 2 Hobbits.

FORCE POOL:
The Northern alliance Force pool is increased as follows:
4x Leader, 5x Elite (Rider), 10x Regular (Bowmen) + 2x Regular (Hobbits)

SET-UP:
The regular (Bowman) in the Shire is replaced by a Regular (Hobbit) at start.

RECRUITMENT:
The second Regular (Hobbit) is placed in the Force pool.
He can be recruited normally in The Shire or at Bree.
Futher recruitment in Shire or Bree can be normal Regulars (Bowman).

There are no other Special rules.

The Northern Alliance just has two more Regulars. In Terms of game Balance this should be of no difference.
In Terms of Flavour/Athmosphere it was always great to have the Hobbits...

have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Fallout fanMicrobadge: Mansions of Madness: Second Edition fanMicrobadge: NihilistMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fanMicrobadge: Alan Moore fan
Would make a great promo, akin to the Treebeard mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Indeed, interesting what the effects would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin wrote:
Indeed, interesting what the effects would be.
Well, I think actually there is NO effect on Game-Play, except, that the Northern Alliance has two more Regulars.
If People think this changes Game-Blance, they could just remove 2 Regulars (Bowmen) from the Force pool.

In Terms of game flavour it was great fun (i.m.o.) to see the "Battle of the Shire" (Battle of bywater?) including Merry & 2 Hobbits defending the Shire successfully agauinst 3 Dunlendings ("Ruffians") - when playing 1st Edition (Battle of 3rd Age Expansion).

Gave a good "Tolkien Feel"

I can post Pictures of that Battle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shark Sandwich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: This is Spinal Tap!

Reinhard,

Which hobbit/halfing minis did you use?

I can't find any hobbit minis that don't look like large, beardless dwarves next to the Merry/Pippen figures that come with our revered game.

Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yosef Bender

Texas
msg tools
Microbadge: Golden Image UploaderMicrobadge: Mansions of Madness fan Microbadge: Star Trek: Fleet Captains fanMicrobadge: A Game of Thrones fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I have an entire nine models for a Small hobbit Army Led by the Grand took On the pony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Morin
United States
New Port Richey
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
I used figures from an extra 1st edition. Used Merry and Pippin to represent 2x regular Hobbit units, and Frodo/Sam (modified, gave them spears, shields) as the Elite Hobbit unit.

Any setup or musters in Hobbiton get replaced with these.

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Star Wars: Rebellion fanMicrobadge: The Hobbit is the best thing Tolkien ever wrote!Microbadge: Firefly: The Game fanMicrobadge: The Battle of Five Armies fanMicrobadge: Level 09 BGG poster
tmorin2454 wrote:
I used figures from an extra 1st edition. Used Merry and Pippin to represent 2x regular Hobbit units, and Frodo/Sam (modified, gave them spears, shields) as the Elite Hobbit unit.
Cool idea - did you trim Merry and Pippin's bases down to be the diameter of other Regulars?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Morin
United States
New Port Richey
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Rafamir wrote:
tmorin2454 wrote:
Cool idea - did you trim Merry and Pippin's bases down to be the diameter of other Regulars?
No I didn't....that is a great idea, I'll give it a try and post a pic after I get them painted. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shark Sandwich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: This is Spinal Tap!
tmorin2454 wrote:
Rafamir wrote:
tmorin2454 wrote:
No I didn't....that is a great idea, I'll give it a try and post a pic after I get them painted. Thanks!
Hi Thomas, I'm pretty interested in how your project is faring. Do you have any developments you can share?

Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Morin
United States
New Port Richey
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Shark Sandwich wrote:
tmorin2454 wrote:
Rafamir wrote:
tmorin2454 wrote:
Hi Thomas, I'm pretty interested in how your project is faring. Do you have any developments you can share?

Many thanks!
Update- I swapped bases (large/leader size) with the small/army size ones rather than trim them (which looked choppy); swapping bases worked nicely. This allowed me to give my variant character/minion figures the larger size base they should have (Haldir, Ugluk). The figs are in the painting queue, in the midst of Elves, then men, Dwarves.

Having fun with the modifications.

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pokémon fanMicrobadge: Avatar: The Last Airbender fanMicrobadge: Tolkien fanMicrobadge: Chrono Trigger fanMicrobadge: StarCraft fan
A thought with this-- you could make it a little bit more, erm, situationally useful? By having one elite and one basic hobbit, and the elite can be recruited normally in the Shire. The only difference between these and regular hobbits is that any card that mentions hobbits is applicable. I accept that no other hobbits would have had a Blade of Westernesse, but it could be situationally exciting to have an incredibly niche use for card that usually don't get played for their combat effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Morin
United States
New Port Richey
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Hobbit Army figures:

From gallery of tmorin2454