United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

8 Arms to Hold You

An asymmetric light strategy game. A highly mobile Octopod attempts to grab hold of a lonely lighthouse while a slower, blubber-laden Whaler ship attempts to harpoon the beast for mere sport. Avast!

One player controls the octopus, who has many (well, 8) arms to move around the board. To win, this player is trying to surround the Lighthouse in the center of the board.

Another player controls one (possibly two, but no more than that) Ship, which is individually stronger than any tentacle, but it does have 8 of them to grapple with. Or be grappled with, anyway. To win, this player must score a hit on the Octopus' head.

Rules and artwork to follow...

My entry for the 18 card microgram contest 2015 (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1431026/18-card-microgame-c...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] 8 Ams to Hold You - 18 Card Microgram Contest 2015
Check your game title on the OP. Ams are not arms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Herodier
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well spotted, thanks!
(Fixed)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At first glance, I thought it was "18 arms to hold you", which confused the heck out of me... While it could be a tribute to the 18 card format, I think it's better to change it so it's unambiguous

Rad idea, good luck with it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
At first glance, I thought it was "18 arms to hold you", which confused the heck out of me... While it could be a tribute to the 18 card format, I think it's better to change it so it's unambiguous

Rad idea, good luck with it
now I can't not see 18 arms, thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bevilacqua
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an idea in my head of how this game works. I'm very interested to see if your design matches.

Good Luck!

-subscribed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi,
what happened to a game? I saw no updates, no PnP sources, what is kinda sad.
I was quite curious about that game as the landing image is nice (and sort-of mysterious - as was discussed ) and the idea of assymetric player roles was promising as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Herodier
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I did abandon this thread didn't I?

I haven't posted anything because I became disencouraged with a development issue in the game. Namely, although I'm happy with most of the individual mechanics, all together they lead to a game that is like tic-tac-toe... That is, most turns have a single fairly obvious move which you can't afford not to take; both players are just reacting to each other's immediately precious move, or even worse, the game plays itself and the players just need to move the pieces for it.
I think this issue is in large part because of the very cramped play area that the 18 card limit allowed for, so I do think it can be fixed, but not within the confines of the contest it was an entry for.

On a more positive note, I was very very happy with the artwork I made!
I'll post the components pdf here later, maybe someone can put hem to better use

For now, the rules will be on hold though, sorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I believe there is also a regular 2 player contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls