Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: US Air ForceMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Golden File UploaderMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG poster

Have been a long-time fan of Silent War (that other solitaire submarine game with a similar name: Silent War). As many of you likely know, Silent War is a strategic/operational level game, while my impression is that Silent Victory is a tactical level game. Silent War uses some of its game phases to model the Strategic level while it models the Operational level with a few of its movement mechanics and the Combat phase.

Given that both these games model the same subject, but at different levels of war, it begs the question about the feasibility of linking them together. I don't know enough about the mechanics/design of Silent Victory to explore this question, but I can't help but wonder how/if the two games could co-exist as a bridged duo? I.e., let the situation of the operational experience from Silent War feed the tactical scenario by which to play Silent Victory.

For instance, in Silent War when you get to the Combat Phase, instead of playing it out, transfer the situation to setup a scenario in Silent Victory. Then use the outcome of that game to return to Silent War. Granted, it's been a while since I've played Silent War so admittedly there're likely some issues to work out to make this feasible, but I'm sure it can be done.

Just thinking out loud. Thoughts?

Edit: And BTW, I'm not suggesting that every sub engagement modeled in Silent War be transferred to Silent Victory. That'd be insane and I'd like to meet the person who has that much time on their hands. Instead I'm thinking that'd it'd be fun to choose perhaps two or three engagements encountered during the course of a Silent War game, for transfer to Silent Victory.

And for those of you who're married, such a notion will require a game room away from the wife, or a man cave, or some HUGE payback for cluttering the dining room table for a month. YMMV!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
Microbadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinkingMicrobadge: At Dawn We Ate Sugar SmacksMicrobadge: Parent of One BoyMicrobadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: My contribution was deemed Pyuredeadbrilliant
Hi! (raises hand) I'm insane. (I also have a home office with a work table that is able to be barricaded against cats and/or young children + a very understanding wife).

I'm planning to try them both together.

It'll slow the game down a lot, but will put a story behind those multiple perfect approaches that are then spoiled by dud torps (and "may" cut down on my swearing when it happens).

Whether I complete a full game of SW, played this way, or not will be another matter altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
Microbadge: I have bracesMicrobadge: Forester - I take care of the world's lungsMicrobadge: FirefighterMicrobadge: GIS operatorMicrobadge: Stout Beer fan - thick and heady
I know I spend a lot of my time in Silent War resolving unsuccessful attacks against Japanese shipping. I wonder how the patrols will play out in Silent Victory. Will they tend to be more action packed or should we expect similar historical results?

Never played The Hunters, so I have no idea what to expect from this system, though I understand that Silent Victory is built to simulate the US torpedo problem present in the early war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Level 06 BGG posterMicrobadge: The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 fanMicrobadge: Silent Victory: U.S. Submarines in the Pacific, 1941-45Microbadge: B-17: Queen of the Skies fanMicrobadge: Nightfighter Ace fan
Hey Ryan et al,

Yes, Silent Victory models the early dud problems the Americans have, and yes, it's a tactical-level game, insomuch that you are controlling a single sub.

I worked pretty hard at getting historical patrol results. I did NOT want this to be an arcade respresentation. But, as happened with The Hunters, I suspect out of thousands of players, there will be a few patrols that rack up multiple capital ships, or have a few other crazy things like that, and get some pretty high numbers. Statistically, it's bound to happen. (although, to my knowledge, nobody has died yet from "swim call" in the Hunters

However, although there may be patrols that have unhistorically high results, I think the majority will be in the "historical ballpark" so to speak.

One thing that made me very happy was that at Consimworld, when I had 40 people play in the Silent Victory tournament (using preproduction games) I had a 20% loss rate. Since the US had a 22% loss rate in WW2, I found that very comforting, in so much that the game seems to be giving roughly historical results.

Anyway, given enough time (and desire) I think it sounds like a lot of fun to link Silent Victory and Silent War. Perhaps what you'd need is a method to decide which battles get transferred down to SV from SW, if you didn't want to do them all.

PS "insane" is pretty harsh, I use the term "valued customer!"

LOL sounds like fun, I'd like to hear about it when it happens. Won't be long now.

Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Astronomy enthusiastMicrobadge: Federation & Empire fanMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Star Fleet Battles fanMicrobadge: Doctor Who fan
I have this on P500 and own Silent War. I plan to see how well they work together also. I think it would be neat to play one or two patrols per Silent War turn in Silent Victory if possible. I would likely skip the S-boats and play out a Gato class or something, unless I really want a challenge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Silent Victory: U.S. Submarines in the Pacific, 1941-45Microbadge: B-17 Flying Fortress LeaderMicrobadge: Target for Today fanMicrobadge: Sherman Leader fanMicrobadge: Warfighter WWII fan
Another option for those that have a copy of Avalon Hills-Submarine would be to combine Silent War or Silent Victory with Submarine. Using Submarine would add a TON of detail at the combat level and require considerable more time to play out though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Jack Vance fanMicrobadge: Asterix fanMicrobadge: Blackadder fanMicrobadge: Descent: Road to Legend fanMicrobadge: Atheist

Perhaps it's as simple as replacing all 'skippered' SW-patrols with SV-ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cunningham
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
As someone introduced first to Silent Victory I find nothing compares to the individual boat decision making that goes into the game..., and I definitely miss that in SW. My first thought was an SV/SW combo. It totally would extend the campaigns to impossible time considerations for me personally, but that's thinking in terms of taking the aspects of SV and tacking them on to SW. Maybe the other way around is the way to think of it? Finding a way to take some broader campaign strategy and affixing it to SV?

Count me totally interested in any of those developments!

Then again, that's just me..., I have a personal stake in learning along these lines since my uncle was navigator of the Herring. I'd love to know the broader strategy of that boat since it was the only one to do both Atlantic and Pacific time. Also love the type of personal Gato experience that SV delivers along those lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls