Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: playing with less than four survivors feasible? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randolph Carter
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb
apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find a reference.. anyway. one of my prologue survivors is missing a piece - is it feasible to saddle up with three completed survivors and hope for the best? I've played other games with fewer than the recommended number (D&D board games, Undercity etc) and things tend to even out...so just wondering if the same pertains here..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Little
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game will be much harder with less than 4.

You have less people dealing damage, less people tanking damage, and less endeavors for your settlement.

I would think the monster would need to be nerfed a bit (similar to 5-6 player variant, but the opposite).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2019 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: I prefer the original TronMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!
You shouldn't play with less than 4 survivors.

You could always just make an unarmored survivor from one of the armor sprues if the missing piece is bothering you so much. There's an extra 28 models that can be made in there aside from the 4 on the prologue sprue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
RandolphCarterCork wrote:
apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find a reference.. anyway. one of my prologue survivors is missing a piece - is it feasible to saddle up with three completed survivors and hope for the best? I've played other games with fewer than the recommended number (D&D board games, Undercity etc) and things tend to even out...so just wondering if the same pertains here..

Yeah, definitely make a proxy and use it to stand in. Until your people get geared out taking on even a lvl 1 WLion is hard. Also: somewhere in the book it states that you must always depart with a minimum of 4 survivors for a hunt unless you have less than 4 in the settlement.

Besides which - do you really want to start the game off fighting from a hole like that? Its hard enough to keep survivors alive without missing fighters in the formation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You must always depart with 4 survivors. Otherwise you could cheese nemesis events by just sending out 1 sacrificial lamb to attack him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
Microbadge: I kick ass!Microbadge: If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college.Microbadge: I randomly answer questions in contests just for the microbadge.Microbadge: Spellcheck HandicappedMicrobadge: 200 yahoo boots f*** yahoo messenger how's want boots
ELicious wrote:
You must always depart with 4 survivors. Otherwise you could cheese nemesis events by just sending out 1 sacrificial lamb savage badass to attack him.
Fixed!

You would have to go with less if your population is low. But at that point....your settlement isn't going to get much farther.

Could you imagine getting to the first Nemesis event, and being the only one? "Look out Watcher...here I come!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:
ELicious wrote:
You must always depart with 4 survivors. Otherwise you could cheese nemesis events by just sending out 1 sacrificial lamb savage badass to attack him.
Fixed!

You would have to go with less if your population is low. But at that point....your settlement isn't going to get much farther.

Could you imagine getting to the first Nemesis event, and being the only one? "Look out Watcher...here I come!"
Off-topic but that's Rania isn't it?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
Microbadge: I kick ass!Microbadge: If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college.Microbadge: I randomly answer questions in contests just for the microbadge.Microbadge: Spellcheck HandicappedMicrobadge: 200 yahoo boots f*** yahoo messenger how's want boots
ELicious wrote:
Yes it is! And that is not off-topic...because Raina is always on-topic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:
ELicious wrote:
I love Orange Caramel but feel like they are long overdue for a comeback. Sorry, enough thread derailing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
ELicious wrote:
demondude777 wrote:
ELicious wrote:
I love Orange Caramel but feel like they are long overdue for a comeback. Sorry, enough thread derailing!
And I am still waiting for After School to drop something. They were my gateway into K-Pop. (not counting Lena Park or BoA, because that was when I didn't know what K-Pop was...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And derailed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
ELicious wrote:
And derailed!

You just made the Kingdom Death page 1000x better!!!! (And yes, I listen to K-Pop while I play KD.)

I just watched this when I got home from work:

What groups are your favs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:

You just made the Kingdom Death page 1000x better!!!! (And yes, I listen to K-Pop while I play KD.)

I just watched this when I got home from work:

What groups are your favs?
That's a fun song. Very orange caramelesque. You must also like Crayon Pop. I like SNSD, 2NE1, T-ara, Crayon Pop, Girls Day, AoA, EXID, Apink. But I started much like you, with Hyori Lee and Boa back before k-pop was a big thing.

I've recently really gotten into Mamamoo after I saw them at MBC Music Core promoting Piano Man. I had never heard of these girls before but damn, dem girls can sang! I knew there was something special about them. Turns out they were gaining quite a bit of popularity in Seoul, so my friend who lives there told me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
ELicious wrote:
I like SNSD, 2NE1, T-ara, Crayon Pop, Girls Day, AoA, EXID, Apink. But I started much like you, with Hyori Lee and Boa back before k-pop was a big thing.
Guilty of all of these.

ELicious wrote:
I've recently really gotten into Mamamoo after I saw them at MBC Music Core promoting Piano Man.
Mamamoo isn't bad. I like them too, but I haven't gone head over heels for them like everyone else. Singing wise they are amazing...but a lot of their accompaniment doesn't get me moving.

I am not sure if you have heard yet, but Crayon Pop just dropped a new song. They seem to be doing a lot more promoting in Japan now:

Also if you like Mamamoo...you might dig Sunny Days. They have some pretty strong singers, and also carry that more adult feel. I've actually friended one of the members on facebook (the lady in the blue top with white polka dots), and freinded one of the back up dancers too (the one with pink hair). The backup dancer was a member of a small group, and I found that whole group on facebook, and the members of that group and I message back and forth about once a week. Crazy. lol

And finally: Kingdom Death rocks! (There..still on-topic. lol)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh dang, I freakin love Crayon Pop! And I thought their last single was FM. I pretty much miss most of the Japanese releases that groups do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
They dropped one before this too. Ra Ri Ru Re Ro, which is a fun song...but I tend to find their Korean stuff better.

Also there is 1, 2, 3, 4 that I donno if it ever really appeared in Japan....but it was remade on the FM single.

There is a lot of good Japanese songs that groups do. Some of the best KARA stuff never touched Korea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
Even if three survivors wasn't illegal, it's a dreadful idea. Losing 25% of your attacks, wounds, and abilities is a sure fire way to lose. Definitely proxy the fourth model - if it's missing an arm, it may soon be WYSIWYG anyway!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Roberts
Australia
flag msg tools
RandolphCarterCork wrote:

It sounds like your only problem is you do not have enough models to assemble to play with the box contents.

Don't feel restricted by having to make the models before you play. Essentially, the game doesn't have any height to deal with so you can play in an entirely 2-dimensional top down way. So just use something to represent a survivor. It could be a bottle cap or a piece of card or even just a survivor sized base. Using a plastic toy army man is another way. This is called proxying. You are literally using a proxy to stand in for your models and to represent the model. It is surprisingly common practice in tabletop gaming at times.

Beyond just the models as an issue, by the rules, you have to send 4 survivors on a hunt or nemesis encounter if 4 survivors are legally allowed to depart. In many cases this means 4 survivors will always be heading off, but in some cases, usually with lower population settlements, you do not always have the full 4 survivors that are allowed to depart and in these cases you have to send as many as you can, it could be 3 survivors, or 2, or even just 1. There are cases where you can't hunt that year because you don't have the survivors available in which case your settlement suffers from starvation.

Ignore the comments that say it's a bad idea to send fewer then 4 survivors, the rules are specific in that if you can send 4 you MUST send 4, or as many as are available. You then adapt as needed.

Myself, I am playing one of the variant campaigns in the book - Seven Swordsmen. I am down to a population of 6 and am going into my 9th lantern year nemesis encounter against a Kingsman. My 4 returning survivors from last hunt got injured by the clinging mist settlement event and all 4 are missing the hunt this year meaning that I am facing a level 1 Kingsman with just 2 Survivors. It's going to be challenging to say the least.

For further reference, of my 7 initial swordsmen, only 1 is a made Kingdom death Survivor miniature, and even then he is blue tacked together only. The other 6 consist of 5 warhammer 40,000 chaos space marine models and an old wizard with chainsaw model. My white lion has been represented with a tyranid warrior and my butcher with a chaos lord with jump pack for 40k. I represented the Phoenix with 2 tyranid warriors inside the base the phoenix would be on normally - i.e. the 100 mm base, and am undecided what I'll proxy my Kingsman as.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Roberts
Australia
flag msg tools
P.S. This is the best J-Pop song for Kingdom Death: Monster imho:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
Luke, I am getting an error occurred message when I try to view the video. What song is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Roberts
Australia
flag msg tools
I am too apparently.

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKqgE4BwAY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
Haha BABYMETAL....good choice.

But I will counter with some BAND-MAID:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, Babymetal. I remember the first time I saw that video. My brain couldn't even process what I was watching. Did not compute

demondude777 wrote:
Haha BABYMETAL....good choice.

But I will counter with some BAND-MAID:

Cool concept. Maids playing metal? Band Maid? However, unlike Babymetal, Band Maid sounds like pretty typical metal music. Babymetal managed to merge cutesy J-pop concept/sound with metal which is why my brain shutdown when I saw it.

After having seen these, I really miss AOA Black

Poor cutie Youkyoung must be feeling left out these days. AFAIK there aren't really any other female kpop idol/band groups are there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
Agreed. I miss AOA black too. Yuna is amazing on the keyboard, and Jimin is really darn good on guitar.

The solo in Without You is freaking awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
Sorry, but I find this deeply disrespectful to the poor guy who asked the question. Hardly going to encourage him to stick around and seek more help if be needs it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |