Heather Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Just ordering Descent with the plan to use a variant to make it a co-op. Probably a stupid question but what is the difference between the RAOV and RAMV? It looks like the RAOV requires a lot less cards to be printed (correct?). Is one easier to implement? Impact on gameplay?

Should I play with the overlord a few times so we understand the game rules before we introduce the variant, or is it reasonable to introduce it right away?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RAOV is the variant that fully emulates The Overlord with all options available for him. It's the closest experience to normal play, except The Overlord being automated. It's downside compared to RAMV is, that it can be slower as there are many things to keep track of and is quite cumbersome, especially for solo play.
RAMV in the other side, ignores most of The Overlord options and focuses on monsters as opposition for heroes. It manages their movement, actions and special objectives for scenarios. It's faster, more streamlined, more dungeon crawler-esque but compared to RAOV may be lacking the strategic depth of The Overlord.
Both play well.

Edit:
I would definitely recommend playing a few scenarios with the player Overlord to feel absolutely comfortable with the rules and to reach the point, where no questions about the rules are asked. After all, both of these variant introduce a bunch of their own rules, so the more things you can do without going through the rulebook, the more time you spend actually playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Magnus
United States
Granville
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm just a soldier. I can't be a leader.
mbmbmbmbmb
ksiazekrzysztof wrote:
RAOV is the variant that fully emulates The Overlord with all options available for him. It's the closest experience to normal play, except The Overlord being automated. It's downside compared to RAMV is, that it can be slower as there are many things to keep track of and is quite cumbersome, especially for solo play.

Agree on all points, except for RAOV being "cumbersome." Once you get the hang of it RAOV is not difficult to manage, and like you said it keeps all of the Overlord's options available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the word I used wasn't exactly precise. I played a 4 heroes solo campaign with RAOV, and keeping track of all the heroes, their abilities, heroics, skills, equipment, fortune tokens and then Overlord cards and when they trigger, monsters, their skills, cards already in play, reinforcements, threat tokens and plot cards was a lot to keep track of and kinda slow (to make sure that I haven't forgot anything and don't have to roll back). It would probably be a lot better with more players so we could split it all.
Nonetheless I've never said that it doesn't play good. For solo play though next time i will definitely take fewer heroes and not use plot cards and threat/fortune tokens as this particular system implementation isn't the best

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.