Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine has her birthday party this weekend, and asked me to bring some boardgames along, since a lot of boardgame-happy people will be there. Not sure what to take there, since of most people I don't know the preferences in matters of gaming. Since I get there by bicycle, I could at max bring there two large boxes plus some small stuff. Some other people will bring games too (I know of Robo Rally).
Most but not all people there speak english.

- Risk Legacy: haven't played it often yet, but I think the rules were quite simple
- Small World (english): I love that game, but I'm not sure whether it's light enough, with the huge number of different races and attributes
- The Dome: picked the english version up at Spiel and only roughly scanned the rules, no idea yet how it works
- small boxes of 2 player games: The Gate, Fungi, Shuffle Heroes
- Pandemic (first edition plus first expansion)
- Dominant Species: might take too long?
- Seasons
- Kingsport Festival
- Evolution (got the english version plus expansions of this russian card game): the game can get a bit convoluted, so I'm not sure about that...
- Ghost Stories + that white lady expansion
- Sentinels of the Multiverse + Wrath of Cosmos (english)
- Shadows of Brimstone: might take too long? Also, I have to bike 10km there, and I'm worried that the miniatures might get damaged on the way there
- Ascension (english, base game plus one large and two small expansions).

What would you pick?
Currently I consider Ascension, Sentinels of the Multiverse and the three 2player games. The games are easy to get into and the boxes are not that huge. Though I guess I could also pack Evolution, since the box there is tiny too.
But then again, the other games are fun too, and I'd like to try out The Dome and play some more Risk Legacy. and Dominant Seasons. But a nice session of Shadows of Brimstone is great too... Hmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
mbmbmbmbmb
Stick to short multiplayer games like coup, two rooms one boom, werewolf, codenames
It's a party so people will want to move around often
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jacobson

Omaha
Nebraska - NE
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Karan. It's a party so social interactive games are better like some the ones she named.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Sheppard
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Mr. B Games "Prospectus" Contest participantMicrobadge: El Grande fanMicrobadge: Vesuvius Media "Centauri Saga" Contest participant
Yeah, I would agree. The lighter the better. With new people, and varying degrees of language proficiency, don't over complicate things. Bring games that work well with lots of different player counts so people can come and go as they please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orya wrote:
A friend of mine has her birthday party this weekend, and asked me to bring some boardgames along, since a lot of boardgame-happy people will be there. Not sure what to take there, since of most people I don't know the preferences in matters of gaming. Since I get there by bicycle, I could at max bring there two large boxes plus some small stuff. Some other people will bring games too (I know of Robo Rally).
Most but not all people there speak english.

- Risk Legacy: haven't played it often yet, but I think the rules were quite simple

You need to play this over time, with the same group...wouldn't work here -- although maybe it would.

- Small World (english): I love that game, but I'm not sure whether it's light enough, with the huge number of different races and attributes

It's also got a lot of conflict, which isn't for everyone.

- The Dome: picked the english version up at Spiel and only roughly scanned the rules, no idea yet how it works

Never heard of this one.

- small boxes of 2 player games: The Gate, Fungi, Shuffle Heroes

Two player leaves a lot of people out.

- Pandemic (first edition plus first expansion)

Long game, but at least it's a co-op. Theme is weird for a birthday party, though.

- Dominant Species: might take too long?

Too long, too complicated.

- Seasons

Might be good, if you can teach it.

- Kingsport Festival

The theme here of horror and cultists is one I would be concerned about.

- Evolution (got the english version plus expansions of this russian card game): the game can get a bit convoluted, so I'm not sure about that...

It's a card game? The Evolution board game would be a good choice.

- Ghost Stories + that white lady expansion

Just no. So hard to win

- Sentinels of the Multiverse + Wrath of Cosmos (english)

You either love or hate this game, it's so fiddly with the adding. Maybe.

- Shadows of Brimstone: might take too long? Also, I have to bike 10km there, and I'm worried that the miniatures might get damaged on the way there

Nope, bad idea.

- Ascension (english, base game plus one large and two small expansions).

Not sure about this, could work.
You need some fun party games that play with a lot of people and are social, like Wits and Wagers, Balderdash, Snake Oil, But Wait There's More, Coup, Two Rooms and a Boom (although the theme there is sort of weird) or ligher games like Bohnanza, Ladies and Gentlemen (always goes over well, plays a lot), Ticket to Ride, things that are easy to teach and play more people. Some of those have small boxes. Or, just unbox and put them in plastic bags to take with.

See if you can get a copy of Hanabi, people like that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the party games people listed above, I'd also add The Resistance or its Avalon variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls