Subject: Opinion : Is TCTK a scripted game with optimal moves? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K K
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I've played To Court the King a few times and I think that there is an optimal move to get cards that add one more dice. I was wondering if there were any other thoughts on this?

The script I am talking about goes somewhat like this.

1) Keep dice that are non-compulsory rolls for backup. E.g. Bishop (6), Knight (5)
2) Roll your compulsory dice
3) Choose the most common dice that matches non-compulsory rolls. E.g. Keep three 6s with a Bishop as backup.
4) Bring in your all your other backup dice that do not match the number you rolled. E.g. Add the Knight (5)
5) Keep on rolling to get more 6s. If you fail a roll, use the backup dice to add to the roll and reroll. E.g. No 6s, bring in the Bishop (6) and roll the dice again.
6) Choose to take a follower who adds a dice. If you have a choice, choose the follower which is running out to deny other players, or if possible Queen or King. Avoid ability unless forced to.

Keep repeating this script every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Fort St James
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
Microbadge: BloggerMicrobadge: FeminismMicrobadge: PolyamorousMicrobadge: Tea drinkerMicrobadge: Every true 18xx fan knows you should use $20 chips
nikezz wrote:
Hi,

I've played To Court the King a few times and I think that there is an optimal move to get cards that add one more dice. I was wondering if there were any other thoughts on this?
Well, at the risk of repeating myself:
JazzFish wrote:
Consensus seems to be that one manipulator beats no manipulators, and the big question is whether two manipulators beats one manipulator. More than two manipulators and you're moving too slowly towards the larger sets.
See also the other comments in that thread, as well as Re: Blancing extra dice with special ability cars et seq.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico
Italy
Val di Non
Trentino
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Maria fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Go playerMicrobadge: Out for blood - I play without mercyMicrobadge: Sekigahara: Unification of Japan fan
nikezz wrote:
3) Choose the most common dice that matches non-compulsory rolls. E.g. Keep three 6s with a Bishop as backup.
While generally a good idea, sometimes you prefer a higher value dice even though you have 1 fewer after the first roll in order to decrease your chance to fail. Example: general and pawn broker still to be taken, first roll 1156. I'd rather keep the 5 or 6 (if I have the knight or the bishop respectively), so that if I fail my shot at the general I have a decent chance of getting the pawn broker, rather than a joker.

nikezz wrote:
6) Choose to take a follower who adds a dice. If you have a choice, choose the follower which is running out to deny other players, or if possible Queen or King. Avoid ability unless forced to.
Depends on what is going on. I usually prefer the king to the general when I have a choice, even though the general gives 2 dice and the king just one (the queen's).

Sometimes taking a die isn't the best option, depending on which manipulators you have and are available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Z├╝rich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Yeah, I get the same feeling of scripted game. My 2-player games usually revolve around the following:

1) Get a 4th die: Worker or Guard, Farmer if not possible. Prefer worker, as it tends to be easier to get 3 in a row later, with more dice.
2) Get a 5th and a 6th die: preferably Hunter or Knight if lucky, but usually comes down to Farmer/Worker/Guard.
3) Go for Bishop, as he's easier and opens the way for a later Pawnbroker. If it fails, get a modifier, usually Lady in Waiting.
4) Go for General. Get Knight/Pawnbroker/Hunter on fail. OR go for King, if General's taken.

That's it. We always go for extra dice and modifiers only if we fail to do so -- except if we've got like 7 dice, left out Farmer/Worker/Guard, failed to take the King and really need a modifier. If I take Jester on my first roll, I usually concede right away.

I really hope that its reimplementation, Favor of the Pharaoh, fixes that by randomizing the characters. It basically adds some unpublished expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Favor of the Pharaoh does a lot more than just adding more characters; I've realized that it has added elements to address this issue very well. I'm writing a review now, and it should be up in a few days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel it's pretty scripted, I traded it away when I got Favor of the Pharaoh. I kept TCTK for a bit since it's such a nice compact game. Bur I realize I am never going to chose it over the Favor of the Pharaoh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls