Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter (12) and I will be starting a campaign soon. This will be our first time going through an entire campaign; we've mostly played a mission here or there and skirmishes.

We just got finished with a Descent game where she was Overlord. I won (by the skin of my teeth), but had won several missions in a row in that one. I want to make sure she feels like she's not being ground down into powder, but that she has a good shot. Her strategy sense is still developing, so I don't want to go all-out on ultra-power, though I don't mind using clever tricks here and there.

The heroes she picked (she went with 3) are: Diala and Gaarkan (from base set) and... the engineer lady from Twin Shadows. (Drawing a blank on her name).

I have all the expansion packs currently out except the Wookie Warrior and Stormtrooper packs.

So the questions I have are:

- Which class should I pick? (I get the sense that Technological Superiority is the 'weakest' Imperial class, so I may pick that, but maybe there's an expansion one that's weaker? I want the weakest so I am forced to work more to keep it strong and I won't have to feel like pulling punches as much).

- Which Agendas should I pick? I want a couple that could give some surprises, and I may pick one or two for the Villain they grant (I'm thinking Boba Fett and IG-88? Maybe go Bounty Hunter or something).

Basically, in this case I don't mind hamstringing myself as much as possible. In-game, I will probably still work hard to win, but if I can give myself a handicap on my options to start with, I think it will help make sure she doesn't get too discouraged.

Thanks for the input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe throw a few extra credits her way and give her heroes legendary? That might make it too hard for you tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not a bad idea, and can be adjusted as the game goes on! Maybe when a hero is defeated in a mission, it becomes "Legendary" in the next mission to help make up for it?

However, in the meantime, if I can find the 'weakest' Agenda options, that could help, too

I should note, she's not completely inept, either; in Descent, she often had some very nasty tricks. In the last quest of Labyrinth of Ruin, for example, she realized she could suicide a Zombie of hers and use a card to make it explode and do 2 damage - which killed two of my guys at once (as they were both hurt pretty bad)! That almost cost me the game, but I managed to pull out of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember all of the names of the Agenda decks but I find the weakest ones will be the decks that have single use cards or Imperial Side Missions.

Darth Vader for instance, even if you win Darth Vader as a reward, his threat cost is so high you wont be able to bring him out much.

She might balk at you getting Darth Vader but might mock you when you cant put him in the fight.

Giving her starting credits or even a few XP would give her a leg up and you would be chasing her lead.

You could also go the Co-Op route. Go get RedJak's Solo Variant and play a hero or 2 along side her. Tell her you are sick of getting your butt whipped and would rather have her as an ally than an enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hate monger
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
sigmazero13 wrote:

- Which class should I pick? (I get the sense that Technological Superiority is the 'weakest' Imperial class, so I may pick that, but maybe there's an expansion one that's weaker? I want the weakest so I am forced to work more to keep it strong and I won't have to feel like pulling punches as much).

One general piece of advice I would give is to be mindful of the difference between something being powerful, and being frustrating.

The Subversive Tactics class deck is all about wearing the rebels down and breaking their will; thematically, it refers to the characters, but in reality it can also do that to the players! I don't think I need to point out how this is likely to make for a bad father/daughter experience, regardless of whether or not the abilities are the most "powerful".

I think Military Might is the most straightforward to use; it's all about boosting troopers and throwing lots of them around.

Tech Superiority is more like a bag of wacky trick items - like the Imperial's version of a "gadgeteer" class. MM has a card to give troopers extra armor; TS has one to give Jump Packs. This may fit your idea of "more challenging to make it work".

On that note, I'd also consider the class from Twin Shadows (Inspirational Leadership?). It looks to me like it would be tricky to get working well, relying a lot on using officers to shift units around.

Quote:
- Which Agendas should I pick? I want a couple that could give some surprises, and I may pick one or two for the Villain they grant (I'm thinking Boba Fett and IG-88? Maybe go Bounty Hunter or something).

Well, "Imperial Industry" is widely regarded as one of the best rewards, so skipping the agenda set with it could be considered a "nerf" to your strategy.

Vader is a giant beat-stick and frankly I feel like he shows up way too much already, which cheapens his value as the ultimate baddy, IMHO. I'd avoid his set. The RG Champion is almost as nasty.

I think Boba is a good choice. Good unit but a little more subtle than Vader.

Iggy would go with the tech theme and could get some serious synergy from it (for good or ill).

I like Kayn Somos too. Again a somewhat more interesting "little villain" type.

Quote:
Basically, in this case I don't mind hamstringing myself as much as possible. In-game, I will probably still work hard to win, but if I can give myself a handicap on my options to start with, I think it will help make sure she doesn't get too discouraged.

Again, I'd focus on avoiding any kind of fun-sapping "denial" abilities. Fighting Stormtroopers and losing because they rolled better, or "There's too many of them!" is an easier loss to accept than, "Daddy played X card so I never got to use any of my cool abilities." Don't play Subversive Tactics. Don't use lots of Royal Guard to stun-lock all the heroes. Actually, don't overuse any one unit.

Good luck!

- H8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.