United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First impression is it's bloody awesome! The mapboard may be my favorite of any I've seen, ever. It's just so...Viking! The images on BGG don't do it justice. The concerns about clarity or emphasis people raised when it was first previewed are groundless when you see the thing in person.

I can't compare it with the old edition as I'd never played that one, but the entire package is very impressive. The components are top notch and the rulebook is very clear.

This game is part of my What's Next? blog, where I'm asking people to help me choose which unplayed game in my collection to play next. Even though it's not the frontrunner, I feel like pushing it to the front of the line 'cuz it looks so good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Rumple
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm interested also...rules/game play improved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swr66 wrote:
The updated rules are posted in the files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Rumple
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
galvornman wrote:
swr66 wrote:
The updated rules are posted in the files section.

Since I haven't played either edition, reading the rules won't be very helpful...just looking for general thoughts if the new edition is an improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Byers
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received it and it is incredible looking. I haven't played the original so I can't do much of a comparison, but I can tell you my initial thoughts on the package.

I set it up for a three player run-through...basically to just do a once over on the Rulebook and found it incredibly cohesive. The text is clear and concise and it offers reasons for certain rules and how they might relate to later gameplay. Love that. The actions are clear and make sense. I really love this rulebook...it's up there for sure.

Components look great. The towns give a nice visual display and help to get you foaming at the mouth for a plunderous raid. Juicy targets! However, on setup, you have to insert some cardboard tokens into the base of the town markers and this is kind of infuriating. Very hard to get them to seat properly and I broke more than one due to hulk rage.

Some white glue and they are ok, but wish they had gone the route that you see in games like Game of Thrones or Survive!, with prepainted or embossed Victory Point identifiers. For the price I paid, I don't think it is too much to ask.

The board is jaw droppingly gorgeous. I had a bit of difficulty deciphering the Regions and how to quickly ID a non-Region port, but after a few minutes with the game, it started to get a bit easier. Can't believe this board. I love me a good map and this one ranks high in the WOW factor.

The cards are a bit flimsy, and they were warped ever so gently. A couple of riffle shuffles and they bounced right back. I love the finish on these cards. Very easy shuffling and I doubt I would ever want to sleeve them. Graphical design work on the cards isn't all that great, but they are easy to read and easy to see how they work and integrate into the gameplay. Also some of them are downright EVIL.

Great job on this edition and cannot wait to get it out on the water. Hopefully tomorrow night we can get 4 players in on it at game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Living the Dream!
mbmbmbmbmb
r2byers wrote:
However, on setup, you have to insert some cardboard tokens into the base of the town markers and this is kind of infuriating. Very hard to get them to seat properly and I broke more than one due to hulk rage.

Some white glue and they are ok, but wish they had gone the route that you see in games like Game of Thrones or Survive!, with prepainted or embossed Victory Point identifiers. For the price I paid, I don't think it is too much to ask.
I would have been fine with pre-painted, but had no trouble at all putting the tokens in the bottoms. No glue required. Just make sure you are putting the curved side of the token on the inside, rather than the flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fay
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that made it easier for me to get the tokens into the towns/cities, was to insert it one edge under the pokey bit (where the town buildings are), then using some soft towel, press down on top of the piece itself (make sure to be using a hard flat surface). It took a bit, but they are flat now.

The only real bummer for me was that my blue and black masts on the long ships were broken. I can easily fix them and I emailed Pandasarus already. I think the side box they put them in could have been a wee bit bigger.

The map is amazing! It is quite long on one side, and that provides a very nice layout, without a lot of clutter.

The longship boards are very nice theme wise, and the minis are very high quality plastic. Very sturdy, and I think I will be doing the wash/drybrush as I did my Kemet Models.

I also did not own either of the previous editions, so take this for what it's worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Graffagnino
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The masts of 3 out of 5 ships were broken on my copy.

Rough seas, I presume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Graffagnino
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got a response from Pandasaurus. I was directed to IDW for replacement parts. FYI

games@idwpublishing.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Byers
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Were the boats in a separate small cardboard box, inside the main game box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
r2byers wrote:
Yes - two of mine were broken at the masts too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fay
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galvornman wrote:
r2byers wrote:
Yes - two of mine were broken at the masts too.
Seems like QA might have been a bit lax on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the chance to play the new edition once. I've played my own Asmodee set many times. If anything in the rules changed, I missed it. We used the new rule-book as reference while playing with my knowledge of the Asmodee rules.

What I liked:

• The rulebook I thought was well-written. My Asmodee rulebook is very nice, but I think this one is easier to understand.

• The variety of figures.

• The Illustrations on the Rune Cards are nice and the text easy to read.

• Highly varnished board! That ought to resist spills!

Not so much:

• Overall, the colors for everything are much darker than the Asmodee version. I prefer the brighter Asmodee colors. A color-blind friend had some difficulty with the new board.

• Weak masts on the longboats. One player snapped a mast on their longboat just trying to move it. There ought to be a DIY way to reinforce the weak spot. Replacements will probably break, too.

• Weather dial. We figured out how to use the weather dial easily enough. But I think the Asmodee one is easier to use.

• Longboats cards. Probably a matter of taste. The reminders are nice. The tiny type on a dark card is not.

BTW, why did they change the value of Hebrides to '2' ? It's the only location at variance with the others in its group (Caithness and Iona). Other locations within a particular region on the board all share same value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim
United States
flag msg tools
Leia warned of a trap before it was cool. Twice.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any info on card count & sleeve size for the new edition?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDowell
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a broken ship, broken Viking figure, and one of my punchboards is badly misaligned on the punched components. I contacted IDW over a week ago and have not heard anything back outside of the "we received your email" automated message. Has anyone else had any luck getting replacement parts or making contact with IDW? I've never had any other game company take more than a few days to get back to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcscowl wrote:
I have a broken ship, broken Viking figure, and one of my punchboards is badly misaligned on the punched components. I contacted IDW over a week ago and have not heard anything back outside of the "we received your email" automated message. Has anyone else had any luck getting replacement parts or making contact with IDW? I've never had any other game company take more than a few days to get back to me.
Josh,

They sent me an email back about the broken ships saying that they were waiting on a shipment to come in with replacement parts. I'm assuming your request is on hold for the same reason (though they should have communicated that to you - maybe check your spam folder?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim
United States
flag msg tools
Leia warned of a trap before it was cool. Twice.
mbmbmbmbmb
mcscowl wrote:
I sent them a question about the game. It took a little while to get back to me, but they did respond. The address I found was news@pandasaurusgames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDowell
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for letting me know! I did check my spam folder and nothing was in there, which is what prompted me to post here to see if anyone had any information.

Now I know to just be patient. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDowell
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard back from IDW and indeed they are waiting on replacement parts from the printer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDowell
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just following up. IDW sent me replacement components in what has to be one the most protected shipping packages I've ever received. They went above and beyond what they had to do to keep them safe during shipping. I'm very pleased. Thanks IDW!

Edit: I forgot to mention they also used 2-day shipping because I had to wait for them to get replacements from the printers, which isn't their fault, but I do appreciate the quick shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Stafford
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spindoc wrote:
First impression is it's bloody awesome! The mapboard may be my favorite of any I've seen, ever. It's just so...Viking! The images on BGG don't do it justice.
It kind of does do it justice, except it's big enough that the vector art hell is slightly less overwhelming. The clarity compared to the older edition is seriously degraded. On the other hand, while it's weird, the navigation wheel is probably more straightforward and obvious, the longboat is more thematic, and the plastic is better. The Wintering Area is also more central, which is good, but geographically weird. Kind of unavoidable though.

The map style should have remained the same as last edition, but it does appear otherwise fully improved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eypyeash wrote:

The map style should have remained the same as last edition, but it does appear otherwise fully improved.
I love the new map
Where they really missed an opportunity was with the miniatures. If only they'd gone for a carved ivory effect, in the style of the Lewis chessmen. This would have gone brilliantly with the wood and leather style board.
Sadly, there seems to be no way to get hold of minis like this, and I certainly couldn't make 75 of them soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
Microbadge: Member of the BGG Community since 2000Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Ragdoll cat loverMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Level 14 BGG poster
marlowc wrote:
I love the new map
I do too, but it's very glossy, and background lighting can be a problem to people sitting facing it.

Quote:
Where they really missed an opportunity was with the miniatures.
Hnefatafl pieces from Past Times? They only come in two colours though, but the size is about right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Price seems to bepretty high. 70 eur?

Thumb up