United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got it but haven't had a chance to even break the shrinkwrap yet. It's rare to see a pure co-op game that doesn't provide for solo play even if it is by taking multiple roles. Without giving any spoilers please, is there some reason this game can't be played solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None at all, just play four characters. I'd think it would fall very flat as a solo game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'd think it would fall very flat as a solo game though.
Not at all!

There are many threads that answer this question and I have played the marcy case solo, using 4 receptacles, and it was a blast! I say go for it!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was the feeling I got: Mechanically fine, but you'd be missing out on the player interaction, which is a meaningful feature of the game. Do I have that about right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinDJacobson wrote:
That was the feeling I got: Mechanically fine, but you'd be missing out on the player interaction, which is a meaningful feature of the game. Do I have that about right?
Exactly, the more the merrier in a game like this. It's why I'd always prefer to play this with the full complement, but to each his own.

As stated by many others, the game is essentially a point and click adventure that can be played cooperatively. If played solo, I think playing a computer point and click would actually be more fun, and certainly easier to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely don't recommend playing TIME Stories solo for a couple of reasons:

- The way the adventures work once you play them you will not want to play that same adventure again because you will already know the answers to all the puzzles and riddles. If you play your game solo then you find that you will not want to later play that same adventure with anybody else. So assuming you have friends that also probably want to play the game, just wait until you can all get together and play it as a group.

- The game intentionally tells you in the rules that players are not allowed to read cards unless that are at that space. This is because part of the challenge of the game is communicating what you read on your card to your friends without actually looking at the card for reference after you read it. If you play the game solo and just read all the cards yourself you are making the game significantly easier to beat than intended (and probably less fun to beat as well.)

So while most cooperative games work well solo TIME Stories is very much an exception to that rule. I strongly advise not playing it solo, stick to playing it with three or four players as intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls