Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronald EMCA LADD
Canada
Whitby/Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2016 the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada will be returning to Ridgeway in Honour of the 150th anniversary of the battle, which this game explores. Although at this time I do not have any specific information on how the anniversary will be celebrated, I suspect that the Queen's Own Rifles will be joined by other groups as well. I visited the battlefield, or parts of it, this past summer. It is not a well known part of Canadian nor American history, it is still an interesting event between the 2 countries and had a greater influence with the Canadian Confederation a year later. Let's hope this game can be released for the 150th anniversary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hitchcock
Taiwan
Tanzih
Taichung County
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ridgeway was an extension of the on-going conflict in Ireland. The opposing forces were British versus the Fenian Brotherhood.

The Fenians were Irish who had immigrated to the USA, served in the Union Army during the American Civil War, and had been allowed to purchase their uniforms and weapons upon demobilization. They dyed their uniforms green, and created a private army with the intention of capturing Canada and trading back to Britain in return for Ireland. They enjoyed success on the battlefield when up against ill-trained Canadian militia, but couldn't get back across the border fast enough when British regulars arrived.

The United States, still butt-hurt over Britain's tacit support of the Confederacy, turned a blind eye to what the Fenians were doing as they launched raids from the United States into British North America. Eventually, fearing the already strained relationship with Britain would erupt into war, American authorities arrested the Fenian leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls