Hide
9 Posts

Evolution» Forums » Rules

Subject: Evolving a Carnivore into an Herbivore rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Younie
msg tools
Some of the trait cards appear to be for carnivores only (have red border, like Pack Hunting). The rules say you can replace a trait by playing a 4th trait, and when you flip over, you remove one existing trait to make room for the new one.

So, let's say I have a Carnivore with Pack Hunting, and I want to turn it into an herbivore. I place Long Neck on the board, facedown. When we flip, I replace Carnivore with the new Long Neck card, effectively making the species an herbivore. But it still has Pack Hunting. That doesn't seem right to me. Must I replace all carnivore-only traits when I replace the Carnivore trait, or does it just sit there on my herbivore and do nothing?

The rules don't discuss this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like my appendix, the trait sticks around, even though it doesn't do anything.

The only difference is that my appendix isn't worth a point at the end of the game, and all traits, regardless of utility, are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
BradYounie wrote:
Some of the trait cards appear to be for carnivores only (have red border, like Pack Hunting). The rules say you can replace a trait by playing a 4th trait, and when you flip over, you remove one existing trait to make room for the new one.

So, let's say I have a Carnivore with Pack Hunting, and I want to turn it into an herbivore. I place Long Neck on the board, facedown. When we flip, I replace Carnivore with the new Long Neck card, effectively making the species an herbivore. But it still has Pack Hunting. That doesn't seem right to me. Must I replace all carnivore-only traits when I replace the Carnivore trait, or does it just sit there on my herbivore and do nothing?

The rules don't discuss this.
The answer above it correct. But your description of how to change out a trait is incorrect (or at least not up to date). In the 2nd edition, you can discard any trait on your turn and place it face-up in the discard pile. You must do this BEFORE adding a trait if the species already has 3 traits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
Just like my appendix, the trait sticks around, even though it doesn't do anything.

The only difference is that my appendix isn't worth a point at the end of the game, and all traits, regardless of utility, are.
Actually scientists have discovered that the appendix is useful for housing good bacteria and assists your digestive system in recovering from certain illnesses.

But to the OP: it just sticks around. Just like having non-carnivore traits, like long neck, that sticks around after becoming a carnivore. Nothing stops you from discarding that trait along with your carnivore trait, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
swheelock wrote:
Actually scientists have discovered that the appendix is useful for housing good bacteria and assists your digestive system in recovering from certain illnesses.
Cool! I owe my appendix an apology; I've considered it a freeloader for my whole life.

What would have been a better example? I was going to say my nipples, but I imagine some men get a lot of use out of their nipples, and I wouldn't want to speak for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
ayejae wrote:
swheelock wrote:
Cool! I owe my appendix an apology; I've considered it a freeloader for my whole life.

What would have been a better example? I was going to say my nipples, but I imagine some men get a lot of use out of their nipples, and I wouldn't want to speak for everyone.
Maybe wisdom teeth?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
swheelock wrote:

Now you tell me.

Pete (had his removed)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
swheelock wrote:
ayejae wrote:
swheelock wrote:

Maybe wisdom teeth?
If you live in a place without the concept of dental hygiene and subsist on a diet of coarse materials, hunter-gatherer style, wisdom teeth might keep you eating for a while longer! Y'know, since your other teeth are trending towards a mixture of broken, decayed, and worn down to nubbins gulp.

On the other hand, the palmaris longus tendon/muscle of the forearm would be my choice for most useless vestigial leftover. Homologous structures in monkeys are well developed to assist grip strength while swinging tree to tree, but in humans it doesn't really contribute to grip in any meaningful way. A fair amount of the population doesn't even have a PL tendon. They're basically useless to us - except as spare parts, since surgeons harvest them for autologous tendon repairs.

Also, I'm weird, because I have one in my left arm, but I can't detect one in my right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Connolly
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody once posted a devious ploy. You trash your carnivore trait, lulling your opponents into thinking you have gone herbie so they don't fear your now harmless species and don't worry about playing defensive traits. But the new face-down trait you play is ... carnivore!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls