BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: More units for existing factions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Does anyone know if or think that there will be more units for the factions that are already in this game; I mean like a second Army Pack expansion for the Daqan and Uthuks and a third for the Undead, for example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible, though I personally would rather see a couple new factions before they start adding more to the existing factions. I think with the expansion units, and the two sets of the Undead faction, there are a good variety of units to keep replayability around for awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Rules readerMicrobadge: BattleLore Second Edition fan - "Kneel before the Daqan Lords!"Microbadge: GeekModderMicrobadge: Gold game player. At least 5,000 logged game plays!
There's nothing that makes it impossible, and I don't think FFG will rule it out unless and until they mothball development on the game as a whole. But the parity they've created for the existing factions makes a couple of elf armies the obvious next step. And then maybe a dwarf and/or an orc army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Eastbourne, England (Yankee go home!)
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

With all existing non-neutral packs, that's 12 scenario cards for each of the 3 factions. Supposing players don't want to bother mustering their own armies and instead use the army cards, that's 5 each Daqan, 5 each Uthuk and 4 each Undead.

(annoying the Undead are not symmetrical wrt the # of army cards)

Let's discount the combos available with the doubling of lore card sets, because each of these are used with specific army cards. We can calculate (pls check my math):

(12*5)*(12*5) (Daqan and Uthuk combos) + (12*5)*(12*4) (Daqan and Undead combos) + (12*5)*(12*4) (Uthuk and Undead combos) = 3600+ 2880 + 2880 = 9360 scenarios total.

Anybody play all of those yet? wow

Admittedly some experts will tell us some scenarios won't work well with certain army cards. Not enough of an expert here to assess that. To me the game is absolutely wide open given all the variables of dice outcomes, lore plays, counters, etc...

Adding one more faction (presumably with only 4 army cards but still 12 scenarios) gives us 2880 + 2880 + 2880 = 8640 more scenarios.

I can imagine one design problem is trying to come up with 12 unique scenario flavors for each new faction added.

On the basis of the additional scenario combos, I'd much prefer new factions than new units and/or army cards for existing factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Yes, I also prefer new factions first, but more and new units for the factions that already exist are always welcome to me; also, maybe even some new rules.

With potential new rules, for example, they could make the flying units being able to move multiple steps while counting friendly occupied hexes and hexes with blocking terrain that would normally stop movement, which means that movement over hexes with blocking terrain by flying units would not be stopped, except maybe by hexes occupied by the enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
I want new factions ! New factions !
I want Elves, Orcs, and dwarves !
Long live to Battlelore !

FFG for president !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
pilum2008 wrote:
I want new factions ! New factions !
I want Elves, Orcs, and dwarves !
Long live to Battlelore !

FFG for president !
Oh no, please. If the president is going to make his laws like FFG makes their rules for games, then people might get disappointed in him. Our prime-minister is doing at least equally well at screwing over his own people, with the exception of the rich ones, of course.

I like their games, but I'll pass voting for them at any election.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would prefer more units for existing factions than more new factions, as it opens up your options for coordinating game mechanics when mustering. 3 bigger armies is more interesting to me than 4 same-sized armies, I guess - though I also have little doubt than a 4th faction is a more likely path of development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
0616william wrote:
With potential new rules, for example, they could make the flying units being able to move multiple steps while counting friendly occupied hexes and hexes with blocking terrain that would normally stop movement, which means that movement over hexes with blocking terrain by flying units would not be stopped, except maybe by hexes occupied by the enemy.
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly but just in case... Your sentence in bold is true already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like them to first release an "epic" version of the game, so that we can play large battles rather than just "skirmishes".

After that, another faction would be nice. Elves would be awesome, and logical, since we now have two "bad guy" factions and one "good guy" faction.

Just my $0.02.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls