Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Feudal fanMicrobadge: Helionox: The Last Sunset fanMicrobadge: Pocket Landship fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Hnefatafl fan
Carcassonne is a great and very successful "gateway" game. But, after playing it many times, it just seems to be missing something...COMBAT!

I always joke with my wife: "Sure, it;s a good game, but it needs some conflict".

Anyone care to contribute here to collaboratively design "Warcassonne"?

Restrictions: No additional components (except maybe dice)

I've got some ideas, not a finished game design, but some ideas. Before I post them, I'll see if anyone else has anything, or if, perhaps, this has already been done.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
if you could be anything you wanted...
badge
i bet you'd be disappointed.
mb
I think I read that Carcassonne: Star Wars has combat. Maybe they beat you to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Troth
United Kingdom
Wigston
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
A meeple is a 'defender' if it is in a position where 3 adjacent (orthogonal or diagonal) tiles each contain a meeple from the same opponent. The defender is returned to its owner and can be placed again on a subsequent turn.

The 3 meeples surrounding the defender are 'attackers'. Following the removal of the defender the attackers are repositioned so that one is placed on the same spot from where the defender was removed. Another is removed from the game and cannot be re-used. The third is returned to its owner and can be used again on a subsequent turn.

This gives a trade-off so that an attacker can take valuable territory but ultimately loses a meeple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Feudal fanMicrobadge: Helionox: The Last Sunset fanMicrobadge: Pocket Landship fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Hnefatafl fan
Thanks.

Here was my original thought:

Play and score the basic Carcassonne game as usual.

At the end of the game, for every 10 points scored, player is allowed to play 1 unused meeple anywhere on the map (this makes the base game somewhat meaningful).

Play continues 1 move plus 1 attack per player per turn. Allowable actions:
1) Move 1 meeple (or group of meeples on same tile) 1 space
2) Move 1 meeple (or group of meeples on same space) up to 3 tiles if on a road, or until the road ends or intersects another road
3) Attack (like in chess, can't remember what it's called) - occupy the square of an opponent and remove the opponent from battle (attacker must have >= units of defender.
4) Attack a city. Attacker must have 2 more units in the attacking square than the defender has in the city.

Optional rule: Players may choose during the "normal" game to leave a meeple on a cathedral to turn it into a Hospital. During the war game, and every second defeated unit (so 50%) may re-enter the game at the hospital.

That's as far as I got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Miniature PainterMicrobadge: Name that tune!Microbadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Rhode Island
There are already some conflict powers in the Tower, Dragon and Siege expansions.

But if you want something that feels battle-like but also Carcassonne-ish, I'd start with the player conflict already inherent in Carcassonne and just say "whenever a feature contains unequal numbers of meeples from more than one player, leave one meeple belonging to the majority player and return the others to their players."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls