6 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: PnP: 'Thinking' on an action deck of less than 5 cards. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jam Warrior
msg tools
In the Print and Play:

Think: 'Randomly Take 5 cards from the action deck, add 1 to your hand and shuffle the other cards into the action deck and/or the discard'

The action deck only contains one card.

Do I (a) Just draw that one and stop, or (b) Draw 5 by taking 4 from the discard?

If (b) can I now put four cards back into the action deck that were previously in the discard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
Support Fridays for Future!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is a distinction between "taking" a card and "drawing" from a deck (it was mentioned somewhere in another thread, as far as I remember).

With "draw" you draw the whole amount (draw 1 from the deck and 4 from the discard and risk losing the game).

With "take" your maximum is the number of cards in the deck. So in this case you would only take the one card and have to take it into hand, too.

So it wouldn't make a lot of sense to play Think, except you know (or hope you know) what the last card in the deck is and want to have it in your hand.

A good question here would be: what if I take a curse card into hand? What happens with it? Can you keep it, thus reducing the cards that make you lose the game or do you have to discard it immediately?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jam Warrior
msg tools
I was paraphrasing a little. It does specify you can only keep an idea card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
Support Fridays for Future!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
jamwarrior wrote:
I was paraphrasing a little. It does specify you can only keep an idea card.
Good - that means this couldn't be used to break the system

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My take:

As soon as the action deck is emptied, the discard desk is turned over, shuffled, and takes the place of the action deck (but is still the discard deck).

In the example you gave, you would draw from the action deck, then would set up the discard deck and continue taking cards from that deck, but would keep the second group of cards separate. Any discarded cards would go back to their original decks, which might result in having an actual action deck again (but not with more cards than were there to begin with.

Also, since this isn't a draw required to pay the cost of an action or the penalty of a state, drawing curse cards from the discard during this process wouldn't cause you to lose.

I could be wrong, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bennett
msg tools
Here's an official answer from Bruno from another thread:

BrunoS wrote:
Mishenka wrote:
There are some cards that say something like "Draw 5 cards from Action deck,keep one, shuffle the rest back into deck". If you played this card and only had 3 cards in the draw deck, I assume you would just draw 3 and keep one and you would not draw the remaining 2 cards from the discard deck. Right?
You assume right.

Mishenka wrote:
What about, if you are just drawing cards to complete a task and want to draw more than you have left in the draw deck. Would you draw remaining deck cards, then switch to the discard and draw the rest from there?
Also correct. In that case if you draw a card from the Discard and it happens to be a Curse: game over.

Mishenka wrote:
Finally, there's a card that says something like "take any idea card from the discard pile into your hand." If you have already switched to the discard pile as your draw deck, would you just be able to pull any card from that deck?
Exactly.
I may have mentioned the "draw" vs "take" thing, which may be true. But I think now the important thing is that the discard pile stays the discard pile even when it is flipped over. Since Think specifically mentions the action deck, you can't take cards from the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls