Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2 questions the Kickstarter page doesn't seem to answer:
1. Are ship parts glued together so the ships are permanent and unchangable?
2. Do the parts come prepainted or do I have lots of hours with a brush ahead of me?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
2. Do the parts come prepainted or do I have lots of hours with a brush ahead of me?

Thanks!
The ships will come on sprues. All the work will be yours to assemble, glue them, and paint them. For me, that's all part of the fun and hobby of miniatures gaming, but I know it certainly isn't for everyone.

So as far as whether the ship pieces are interchangeable or not or if they are permanent, that would be up to you. You can find 2mmx1mm magnets very cheap on Ebay (100 for a few bucks), and can use them to make a lot of things interchangeable, which is what I plan on doing. For instance, you could easily for UCM have a UCM standard, heavy, light, and fleet carrier basic build glued together, and then have the other pieces magnetized to have different configurations within those classes.

But that's definitely a bit of a modelling project, and while it's not too difficult to do, could very well be beyond what you're interested in doing.

As far as painting goes, there are some really quick and easy ways to paint these.

1) Pick a base colour. Buy that colour in the Army Painter primer range, and just spray paint it all.
2) Buy a black wash (just a watered down paint) and do the whole thing in that wash. This enhances all the details and makes them clearer.
3) Maybe pick out a couple details here and there with other colours.
4) DONE!

There's more you could do, but just the above steps would get it looking just as nice as what you'd get from FFG for their X-Wing or Armada line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:

Thanks!
The ships will come on sprues. All the work will be yours to assemble, glue them, and paint them. For me, that's all part of the fun and hobby of miniatures gaming, but I know it certainly isn't for everyone.

So as far as whether the ship pieces are interchangeable or not or if they are permanent, that would be up to you. You can find 2mmx1mm magnets very cheap on Ebay (100 for a few bucks), and can use them to make a lot of things interchangeable, which is what I plan on doing. For instance, you could easily for UCM have a UCM standard, heavy, light, and fleet carrier basic build glued together, and then have the other pieces magnetized to have different configurations within those classes.

But that's definitely a bit of a modelling project, and while it's not too difficult to do, could very well be beyond what you're interested in doing.

As far as painting goes, there are some really quick and easy ways to paint these.

1) Pick a base colour. Buy that colour in the Army Painter primer range, and just spray paint it all.
2) Buy a black wash (just a watered down paint) and do the whole thing in that wash. This enhances all the details and makes them clearer.
4) DONE!

There's more you could do, but just the above steps would get it looking just as nice as what you'd get from FFG for their X-Wing or Armada line.

Appreciate all the info and details on painting. Trouble is the game will arrive in June (theoretically) and that's a winter project. Oh, I forgot you live in Canada where it's winter 365. Sorry couldn't resist. Actually love Canada and talk about the nicest country of people you'd ever want to meet. I'd move there in a minute but I'm a wuss about the cold.

At any rate, thanks for the info James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
Felkor wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:

Thanks!

4) DONE!

Appreciate all the info and details on painting. Trouble is the game will arrive in June (theoretically) and that's a winter project. Oh, I forgot you live in Canada where it's winter 365. Sorry couldn't resist. Actually love Canada and talk about the nicest country of people you'd ever want to meet. I'd move there in a minute but I'm a wuss about the cold.

At any rate, thanks for the info James
One last question James. Paint the pieces on or off the sprues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the sprues, after doing all assembly. Otherwise there are places you'd have to redo after taking the pieces off the sprue, and superglue doesn't work as well on painted surfaces and plastic cement (which I prefer when working with plastic) doesn't work at all on painted surfaces.

There are people who spray prime while the pieces are still on the sprue, but personally I don't think it's the best way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: GeekChatterMicrobadge: Rush fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with LoverMicrobadge: Spirit Island fanMicrobadge: Rainbow
Quote:
You can find 2mmx1mm magnets very cheap on Ebay (100 for a few bucks), and can use them to make a lot of things interchangeable, which is what I plan on doing
I've been wondering how easy that will be. I've got a pile of those little magnets around that I've just been itching to use to make adjustable minis, but haven't had a chance for yet. So I'm wondering if the variants will be one big piece, or a bunch of little bits.

To the OP - while I have no experience with Dropfleet in particular, big capital spaceships are probably some of the easiest minis to paint and get looking nice with low experience and effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls