Subject: An opportunity to say thank you... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
You know with Hitler? the more I learn about that guy, the more I don't care for him
badge
contrarian
mbmbmbmbmb

It's fair to say that I don't really enjoy my day job anymore - which is teaching. It's become so wrapped up in paperwork and box ticking exercises that I'm currently looking very hard at alternatives.

That said, every so often it delivers an unexpected pleasure. In this case the opportunity to hear a veteran of El Alamein, D-Day, Market Garden and Veritable give a talk to a group of students and meet him afterwards.

I found it incredibly moving hearing this man, who was wounded several times in combat and made enormous personal sacrifices for his country, talking about his experiences.

I'm not patriotic in the traditional sense but I am incredibly proud of what my father's generation - essentially a citizen army - achieved despite many setbacks and difficult times.

At the end of his talk I spoke to him and thanked him for what he had done. Having read numerous accounts of what they experienced it still amazes me how they coped and as he described each action he was involved in, he paused and said 'we lost a lot of people in that one'. No glory seeking, just a lot of guts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"Tenacity, Dick. Stay with the bastard until he's on the bottom." LCDR Mush Morton to LT Richard H. O'Kane, USS WAHOO (SS 238)
mbmbmbmbmb
How fortunate that you had the opportunity to meet a man who proudly and faithfully served his country.

"We shall not see his like again."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald EMCA LADD
Canada
Whitby/Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just have been an ambulance paramedic for the past 25 years and I have met many Canadian, American, British and German veterans of both World Wars. Some have spoken of their experiences, others declined. I have thanked them all for what they did...ok, maybe not the German veterans, but, I did treat them with respect. Most of those whom I did thank, uncomfortably accepted that thanks and then wanted to move on away from the acknowledgment I was giving them.

I've also found these older men, particularly back in the 1990's, who had died, alone, and no one knew until days or weeks later when 911 was called and I would come. I would look for some form of identification and more often than not, find their uniforms, cap badges, identity discs, medals, veteran cards or other paraphernalia of their military past. It always saddened me to think as young men, they sacrificed their youth for theirs and future generations, only to end up in their final years alone, most often with a bottle, unnoticed in death.

Tomorrow is Rememberance Day in Canada and through the Commonwealth. I believe it is called Veterans Day in the United States. Please take a minute or preferably 2 minutes to remember and thank all who have gone to war. Not just the ones who did not come back, but all of those who served. If you see a veteran, thank him or her for their sacrifice and service.

Lest We Forget.

Edit: Spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls