Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephanie Newman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings, longtime lurker looking for feedback from the BGG community

I'm hosting the first San Antonio Nerd Night (www.sanerdnight.org) this weekend and we have two tournaments promised, Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride. Since I don't know how many people will be coming, I want to have a relatively flexible structure that I can organize based on signups and announce some simple rules before we start. I want to try and limit the tournaments to 2 rounds when possible in the interest of time (This isn't a tournament event, there will be lots of other things to do.) Same structure for both tournaments.

This is sort of what I was thinking:

3-5 (4 for settlers) people sign up: single game, obviously this isn't so much a tournament but I don't want people not to get to play.
6-8 people sign up: 2 rounds, first round is 2 games of 3-4, top two from each game play in a final 4-person game.
9-12 people: 2 rounds, first round is 3 games of 3-4, winners of each first game advance plus the second place person with the highest score, play a final 4-person game.
13-16 people: 2 rounds, first round is 4 games of 3-4, winners of first round games advance to final 4-person game.

... at 17+ people is where it breaks down, but I don't think that's a terribly likely scenario. I guess if I had 20 people show up and want to play I would have to rethink for next month, but I'm comfortable limiting the signup sheet to 16 for this first event.

Does anything jump out as horribly unfair or broken here? I realize that there are a number of ways to score Catan, I read about the Swiss system - but I think that's not useful if we're not talking about using a lot of preliminary heats to qualify people. All these games are going to be played on the basic boards - no expansions.

Feedback appreciated! Thanks.

Stephanie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.