Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance Coffee
United States
Norcross
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Big long post, lots of questions. I apologize but hope it will be worthwhile (or fun).

Small image used for discussion:

Potentially larger image (especially when zoomed):
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/05/cc...

Please check this thread doing a great job reverse engineering the Production System "The production system look ingenious" - by
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I also enjoyed this post about Leaders & Missions by
Robert P
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and a good contribution by
Mike Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

-----------------------------------------------------------------
In my excitement for Star Wars: Rebellion, I'm trying to figure out some of the details of gameplay and rules based on initial FFG articles. Here are some of my most recent questions in no particular order:

1. To the left of planet titles, there is a small number (seems to be 1-3). In the Production post, someone quoted FFG post saying, "the "3" in the green circle to their left, which indicates where any ships that you build using its resources would be placed on the build track". What is the definition of a "ship"? Does that include medium land units? My opinion is that triangle based land troops always start at the "1" on the build track. What do you think? How about medium circle based land units?

2. Imperial side has 2 sides on their hex shaped markers (to mark planets), right now we only see 1 for Rebels. Do you think there is a 2nd side of the Rebel marker? Why does the Imperial have more than seems necessary to mark all the planets that would need one?

3. Are those hit markers in the lower right of the big picture? Looks like explosions. There are single and doubles. Where are they placed and when? Do you think a marked ship might heal between combats if not destroyed in one battle?

4. On the Imperial faction sheet, there are blue and orange resources to build units. It looks like there are also blue-green resources needed to build the Death Star. How do you think one gains these resources?

5. When building a unit, it looks like there are 3 columns between the resource type and the unit on the faction sheets. What do those columns mean? The 1st column looks to be black or sometimes grey. What do you think they mean? Further, there is red with a number (I think) in the 2nd and/or 3rd column. What does that mean? For the AT-ST, I think I see a Red 1 in the 2nd column and maybe a Red 2 in the 3rd column. Maybe that is how many red leader attribute improvements one needs to build more? Are the red numbers the Victory Points one receives for destroying it?

6. I think there are 4 colors for leader attributes. What do they all mean? Red seems to be battle. How about blue, yellow, purple? There has already been some speculation on the other post here.

7. Some leaders have an orange highlight in the bottom middle, others blue. Do you think that is their ground or space speciality or is there a deeper meaning?

8. What do you think the blue and orange small sized cards are on the right of the board? I'm guessing something to do with winning or losing a battle either on the ground or space.

9. What is going to be on the small cards for each team?

To the left side of the board...
10. What is the purpose of the track that goes to 16? Are those some sort of Victory Points?

11. On this track, there appears to be a Rebel marker. There is also a brown marker on the number 4. What is that? What does it track? What does it indicate? What does the Rebel marker track (Victory Points I'm guessing)?

12. The Imperials have some sort of bigger card in the lower left. What is it?

13. And then on the opposite corner, the big cards with a red 1 in the middle. Do those apply to Victory Points somehow?

14. How about the small brown cards next to the 16 point track? Is there one for each planet?

15. It seems that there are some halos that can be placed over leader markers. What do they indicate? Why do they each have a different color?

My One Revelation / Contribution! (I believe)
Near the top left, there is a small brown card partially pushed under the game board. This is the location of the Rebel base.

Just on the board, there is a plant, this is the Rebel base. It appears you may build forces in some way on the Rebel Base. I even think the green planet title says "Rebel Base" (but I'm working with poor equipment).

-- And on a much smaller scale, I like how the Imperial leaders have their corners at a 45 while Rebel leaders' corners are rounded. I like that they are different, helps to quickly survey the game board - good idea by whichever FFG team members took care for a seemingly small detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Besaw
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
So c-c-c-c-old!
mbmbmbmb
Nothing to add. I'm just enjoying the speculation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boomhower
United States
Fairfax
VT
flag msg tools
Microbadge: In love with my spouseMicrobadge: Parent of Two Boys and Two GirlsMicrobadge: Shut Up & Sit Down fanMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: My head is exploding with too many game ideas!
Quote:
Near the top left, there is a small brown card partially pushed under the game board. This is the location of the Rebel base.

Just on the board, there is a plant, this is the Rebel base. It appears you may build forces in some way on the Rebel Base. I even think the green planet title says "Rebel Base" (but I'm working with poor equipment).
Shouldn't the rebel base be a secret?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rebel base is hidden but you can still build on it..i just saw the big image...some planets have no resources and it seems you cant control them..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
2. I think there are multiple levels of "control" for each planet. One of the cards that has been shown talk about gaining two levels of loyalty. So you need multiple control indicators, and the front-and-back of each of those counters works well. That gives you 5 control levels.

3. Yes, hit markers. Some of those ships need to be able to take multiple hits (like a SSD, or the Death Star.)

5. It looks like those symbols correspond to symbols on the dice. (And they are red and black, like the dice symbols.) Maybe they're hits/misses/hit effects in combat? Which dice you roll? Or maybe you have to roll dice as part of the production system?

7/8. The blue/orange color scheme seems to deal with the difference between space and land battles. I bet those two card decks are tactics card decks.

10. VP for the Rebel side. They fulfill cards to get VP for victory conditions.

13. I bet that's the Rebel VP deck.

14. Planet cards, to represent possession (like the ones in TI3). Notice there's one tucked under the board next to the Rebel Base marker in the upper left, to tell where the Rebel Base is hiding.

15. Character enhancements. We know one of them is the "Yoda trains a Force User" enhancement, since it's referenced on the Yoda event card we saw in the preview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FrozenGamer wrote:

Nothing to add. I'm just enjoying the speculation.
Ditto...

However...
MhidDa wrote:

Quote:

Shouldn't the rebel base be a secret?
I would suspect that the LOCATION of the Rebel Base is determined by choosing one card form a stack of available planet options, which is then placed face down under one corner of the game board. Therefore the "Rebel Base" area on the board is generic and represents the "secret" production / training facilities on one of the planets shown on the board. This mechanic is reminding me of the way you would hide the room, weapon, and suspect cards in an envelope during a session of Clue.

Thus A goal of the Imperial player is to discover WHERE the secret Rebel Base is hidden before they can begin destroying it. Conversely, A goal of the Rebel player is to OBFUSCATE the true location of the base and DISTRACT the Imp. Player with hit and run forays until they can build up sufficient military capabilities to engage in full scale combat operations against a superior force. This is the classic doctrine of revolutionaries even here on this Third Rock from the star we call Sun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
9. Re: the small and large card decks for each side.

The large deck must include the character cards for each side; the face-up character cards are shown in the large picture, and are the same size as the larger deck. However, we also know that there are mission cards each side can play on a given turn. I wonder if the character and mission cards are the same deck? So that you either draw a mission, or you get a new character to put into play?

Or, it could be that the large deck is the character deck, and the small deck is the mission deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lcoffee wrote:

11. On this track, there appears to be a Rebel marker. There is also a brown marker on the number 4. What is that? What does it track?
Turns.
Another question, what are the small distinct symbols on this track. For Example at 2 there are both symbols, on 3 or 6 just one, while on 7 there is none.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I think that number is just a speed of production, some planets can produce faster than other. This may represent the manufacturing capacity of each planet.
But may be they balance them with the resource too, for example, the planet that have the resource to produce Large ship will always come with number 3.

2. Interesting, I didn't notice that. May be one side of the token for the planet that clearly support the Imperial and the other one (stormtrooper side) is for the planet that subdue to the Imperial but don't want to be the part of the empire.

3. Pretty sure it is a damage token, the only reason I can think that may be some unit have more health than other? (Would be very funny for 1 hit to kill Stormtrooper and AT-AT) laugh

4. I think that Death Star is free since the beginning of the game, and you can't build it again later.

5. Not sure what those three columns on the faction sheet yet, but two of them must be the number of dices that you used to battle for sure.

6. For me, yellow icon on leader is probably influence related while blue icon is trickery related. Still no idea on the last one. cry

7. Just ground or space specialty for me. May be there is some mechanic related, but I don't think anything deeper than that.

8. I'm very sure that those two deck on the far right outside the board are Ground and Space battle deck, that the leader will draw when the battle occurred.

9. I think it is a recruit deck for leader, there is a yellow medal symbol on the back of those card which match that leader standee (the 8 starter leader don't have this symbol).

10. The Rebel score point of course! That the way the Rebel win.

11. You are correct, it is a victory point for Rebel. laugh

12. I think it is an Imperial mission deck.

13. That would be the Rebel victory objective mission deck (not the same with normal Mission deck)

14. Yes, it is a planet deck for sure, one card for each planet.

15. Those rings are like the power up things for leader. One of those is Yoda, which can attach and go together with Luke Skywalker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lcoffee wrote:

In my excitement for Star Wars: Rebellion, I'm trying to figure out some of the details of gameplay and rules based on initial FFG articles. Here are some of my most recent questions in no particular order:

1. To the left of planet titles, there is a small number (seems to be 1-3). In the Production post, someone quoted FFG post saying, "the "3" in the green circle to their left, which indicates where any ships that you build using its resources would be placed on the build track". What is the definition of a "ship"? Does that include medium land units? My opinion is that triangle based land troops always start at the "1" on the build track. What do you think? How about medium circle based land units?
Yes it's odd that they used the word 'ship' - it seems like all types of units go onto the 'build track' along the right side of the board. It seems to be: Blue = space. Orange = Ground. Triangle = small, Circle = medium, Square = Large. I'm not quite sure how the different units begin on and progress along the track, other than, as in the quote, the small yellow number in the green circle next to a planet, indicating where ships start on the track.

lcoffee wrote:
4. On the Imperial faction sheet, there are blue and orange resources to build units. It looks like there are also blue-green resources needed to build the Death Star. How do you think one gains these resources?
See above. But yes it seems the Imperial's require a Green Square to build the super star destroyer, the first Death Star and the second Death Star. So I wonder too, how 'Green' resources are gathered, since all the planets produce either blue or orange resources. Maybe it's something to do with the amount of systems they control? Or they can't do it until much later in the game?

lcoffee wrote:
5. When building a unit, it looks like there are 3 columns between the resource type and the unit on the faction sheets. What do those columns mean? The 1st column looks to be black or sometimes grey. What do you think they mean? Further, there is red with a number (I think) in the 2nd and/or 3rd column. What does that mean? For the AT-ST, I think I see a Red 1 in the 2nd column and maybe a Red 2 in the 3rd column. Maybe that is how many red leader attribute improvements one needs to build more? Are the red numbers the Victory Points one receives for destroying it?
I think these columns denote what dice each unit rolls when involved in combat. The black and the red surely corresponds to the black and red dice? For instance it seems the Star Destroyer rolls 1 black and 2 red.

This is proven by this image and quote from FFG:

FFG wrote:
Immediately after Grand Moff Tarkin commands forces from Sullust to Corellia, they engage the Rebel forces within that star system. Tarkin allows the Imperial player to draw two space tactics cards, as indicated by his blue space tactics value of "2." Then, the Imperial player builds the pool of attack dice for his ships. The Star Destroyer™ grants two red dice and one black, and the TIE fighters grant one black die each for a total of two red dice and three black dice. After the Imperial player resolves his attack, the Rebel player will roll his attack dice, all ships destroyed during the battle will be removed, and then the players will move to the ground battle.

Grey is essentially 'blank', but that makes me wonder why units like the TIE fighter, have: Black - Blank - Black. And the DSII has: Blank - Blank - Black. So I wonder why the order of the columns seems to matter?

lcoffee wrote:
2. Imperial side has 2 sides on their hex shaped markers (to mark planets), right now we only see 1 for Rebels. Do you think there is a 2nd side of the Rebel marker? Why does the Imperial have more than seems necessary to mark all the planets that would need one?
Yeah this is odd. There seems to be one side with a stormtrooper and one side with an Imperial Symbol. They're definitely loyalty markers, we know that much.

FFG wrote:
(Imperial)To win the game, you need to snuff out the budding Rebel Alliance by finding its base and obliterating it. Along the way, you can subjugate worlds or even destroy them. (Rebel) To win the Galactic Civil War, you need to sway the galaxy's citizens to your cause. If you survive long enough and strengthen your reputation, you inspire the galaxy to a full-scale revolt, and you win.
So we know that the main objective is to gain the loyalty of planets for the rebels, or to 'subjugate' them for Imperials. Maybe the rebels have another side to their loyalty markers too. Or the rebels either have the loyalty of a planet or don't (thus one sided loyalty marker) but for the Imperials they have to first 'subjugate' planets and then gain their loyalty. So maybe the first time they place a loyalty marker it's stormtrooper side up, denoting subjugation and then sometime later (a round later?) it's flipped over to the Imperial symbol side, denoting full control?

lcoffee wrote:
To the left side of the board...
10. What is the purpose of the track that goes to 16? Are those some sort of Victory Points?
Talking of loyalty, maybe this is what is tracking its total? I count 22 plantets/systems on the board that can have a loyalty marker placed upon them. It'd be pretty hard to the Rebels to win if the requirement was to have all 22 loyal to them. But maybe the win con is to have 16 loyal to them? Not sure at all.

lcoffee wrote:
3. Are those hit markers in the lower right of the big picture? Looks like explosions. There are single and doubles. Where are they placed and when? Do you think a marked ship might heal between combats if not destroyed in one battle?
I agree that they are damage tokens. I imagine they just keep track of damage on units. But since it seems like the units aren't represented by cards or anything in addition to their plastic figures, it seems like the board will get very messy or it works some other way.

lcoffee wrote:
6. I think there are 4 colors for leader attributes. What do they all mean? Red seems to be battle. How about blue, yellow, purple? There has already been some speculation on the other post here.
Do you mean colors or symbols?

It seems like there is 4 symbols:

- Red fist: Military might?
- Blue eye: Political intrigue?
- Yellow sword?: Generic Influence?
- Grey arrow: Movement of units?

lcoffee wrote:
7. Some leaders have an orange highlight in the bottom middle, others blue. Do you think that is their ground or space speciality or is there a deeper meaning?
So the blue in the bottom left is their 'space tactics' value - which denotes how many space tactics cards you draw at the start of a space battle in which this leader is participating. The orange number in the bottom right does the same, but for ground tactics cards. The color in middle bottom seems to correspond to whichever tactics value is highest on the leader. So I imagine it's either a visual reminder that Vader is better at ground than space and that Tarkin is better at space than ground, for instance. Or it means something else, like some innate bonus?

lcoffee wrote:
8. What do you think the blue and orange small sized cards are on the right of the board? I'm guessing something to do with winning or losing a battle either on the ground or space.
These are the aforementioned space tactics and ground tactics cards. In the images there's only one deck of each, so maybe the players share them? I don't know.

lcoffee wrote:
9. What is going to be on the small cards for each team?
There is a deck of small cards to the right of the 'imperial faction sheet' - it has a picture of a TIE fighter window on the cardback. The corresponding rebel deck is a picture of the millenium falcon cockpit. Both cards have a little medal in the bottom left. I wonder if this is something to do with leaders leveling up or something? You'll see in the picture above that none of the leaders have a medal on their standee picture, but Wedge and Veers below do.

lcoffee wrote:
12. The Imperials have some sort of bigger card in the lower left. What is it?
As do the rebels.I think these are the mission cards that can be played by players outside of combat (you use the tactics cards for those). These missions are the core of the game and are driven by the leaders.

FFG wrote:
All these characters come with unique talents, derived from their assortment of skill icons and their tactics values, providing them with distinctive strengths and weaknesses, and making them better at some missions and worse at others. Likewise, some of your leaders are better in combat than others, and their combat utility may even depend upon whether your engagement is primarily a space battle or a ground battle.

Accordingly, as much as it’s a game of fleet battles and hidden bases, Star Wars™: Rebellion becomes a game about personal strengths and destinies. And as your leaders attempt their secret missions, it also becomes a game about cinematic adventure.
Here's a mission card.

So maybe the number in the top left is the difficulty? And the military symbol denotes that you need to use a leader with as many military symbols to attempt the mission?

Interestingly cards with the same back as the large cards to the left of the imperial faction sheet are placed on the board in the very bottom left corner.

The large cards on the top left of the board are objective cards, that the rebel player can fulfill to gain loyalty in addition to that gained from planets - speeding up their victory.

FFG wrote:
Meanwhile, the Rebel Alliance also stands to gain much from initiating strategically chosen battles. Beside the obvious benefits they derive from reducing the forces available to the Empire, the Rebels can fight battles to achieve a number of different objectives, each of which can win them more loyalty in the galaxy. You do not even need to win all your battles to achieve your Rebel objectives. Some merely require you to destroy a specific Imperial unit or a certain number of Imperial units, and many others reward you for winning either the space or ground battle and keeping your Rebel unit in the system, even if it remains loyal to the Empire.

So you complete these objectives and gain loyalty equal to the number in the top left?

lcoffee wrote:
14. How about the small brown cards next to the 16 point track? Is there one for each planet?
Yes I think they correspond to planets/systems. You can see one tucked under the board, next to the rebel base space in the top left of the board. This card will surely denote the location of the rebel base?

lcoffee wrote:
15. It seems that there are some halos that can be placed over leader markers. What do they indicate? Why do they each have a different color?
They relate to certain bonuses gained from successful missions that can be attached to leaders

See:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Influence scale will probably be one of the following:

- A 3-scale system
Loyal - neutral - Rebelious

or

- A 5-scale system
Very Loyal - loyal - neutral - rebelious - very rebelious

That said, I think it will be 3-scale.
But just a guess of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another thought on loyalty markers, the two sided imperial token and subjugation.

I think for Rebels are planet is either loyal to them or not. If it's loyal to them, you put your loyalty marker on it. You can now use the planet's resources.

For Imperials, they can subjugate the system, i.e remove a rebel loyalty marker and replace it with an imperial one, stormtrooper side up. This stops the rebels having access to the resources, but doesn't give the Imperial Access to them either.

Or they can fully take it over, turn the marker over to the imperial symbol side.

Thematically - think occupation vs full-scale colonization.

Now subjugation must be faster/easier - otherwise why would you ever choose it as an option.

See below:

FFG wrote:
Perhaps, as the Imperial player, you don't want to commit your forces to the subjugation of a planet. In this case, simply destroying it with your Death Star™ may be a good alternative.
So clearly subjugating a planet requires time and effort, or you could just blow it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were a developer, I would love threads like this. This would be my favorite thread, ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
jonboyjon wrote:
Another thought on loyalty markers, the two sided imperial token and subjugation.

I think for Rebels are planet is either loyal to them or not. If it's loyal to them, you put your loyalty marker on it. You can now use the planet's resources.

For Imperials, they can subjugate the system, i.e remove a rebel loyalty marker and replace it with an imperial one, stormtrooper side up. This stops the rebels having access to the resources, but doesn't give the Imperial Access to them either.

Or they can fully take it over, turn the marker over to the imperial symbol side.

Thematically - think occupation vs full-scale colonization.

Now subjugation must be faster/easier - otherwise why would you ever choose it as an option.

See below:

FFG wrote:
Perhaps, as the Imperial player, you don't want to commit your forces to the subjugation of a planet. In this case, simply destroying it with your Death Star™ may be a good alternative.
So clearly subjugating a planet requires time and effort, or you could just blow it up!
Good one!

Loyal (Imperial)
Subjugation(Imperial occupied)
Neutral
Rebelious

That could work.
(4-scale)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert P
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
. On the Imperial faction sheet, there are blue and orange resources to build units. It looks like there are also blue-green resources needed to build the Death Star. How do you think one gains these resources?
Blue + yellow = Green. Maybe you need both blue and yellow squares to build a super star destroyer or a death star (in construction, another build will complete it). It also seems that there is an increase in production time as there is a small yellow icon on the identification symbol on the faction chart. Ion canons and shield generators would then also need more time to build.

Quote:
There's a probe droid on the back, so it seems to be the "probe deck". My guess is the Rebel player chooses a planet ( a card, which is placed under the base) for his secret base. The Imperial player then can during the game probe the galaxy ( draw a card) and exclude possible planets. Note that the base will also be found when there are imperial ground troops on the same planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert P
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think these columns denote what dice each unit rolls when involved in combat. The black and the red surely corresponds to the black and red dice? For instance it seems the Star Destroyer rolls 1 black and 2 red.

This is proven by this image and quote from FFG:

FFG wrote:
Immediately after Grand Moff Tarkin commands forces from Sullust to Corellia, they engage the Rebel forces within that star system. Tarkin allows the Imperial player to draw two space tactics cards, as indicated by his blue space tactics value of "2." Then, the Imperial player builds the pool of attack dice for his ships. The Star Destroyer™ grants two red dice and one black, and the TIE fighters grant one black die each for a total of two red dice and three black dice. After the Imperial player resolves his attack, the Rebel player will roll his attack dice, all ships destroyed during the battle will be removed, and then the players will move to the ground battle.

Grey is essentially 'blank', but that makes me wonder why units like the TIE fighter, have: Black - Blank - Black. And the DSII has: Blank - Blank - Black. So I wonder why the order of the columns seems to matter?

Maybe there's a difference between attack (1st and 2nd column) and defend (2nd and 3d column). Fighters would then have different attack and defence values ( a different number of black dice). ion canons, shield generators and incomplete death stars could only defend. The complete death star has a straight number of red dice for attack and defence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Coffee
United States
Norcross
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks to all for some great information. I'm learning so much and already feel I have a better feel for this game. It'll be interesting to see how good you are at prognosticating.

Warning, Warning - Self promotion below.
I noticed what I thought were many mechanisms from other games. In my opinion (and limited knowledge), I attributed them to games that I know in my limited experience. SW: Rebellion mechanisms from other games - feel free to improve it. In my defense, I only bring this up because everyone has done such a great job in this thread.

Keep up the great work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SU&SD got to play the game at Worlds recently and discussed it on their podcast.

Self-quoting myself from another thread:

jonboyjon wrote:
Oh boy does this sound good. We've been doing a bit of collective theorizing and digging through the promotional material/pics in other threads and feel like we have a good grasp of some of the central mechanics. This podcast confirmed a lot of our predictions.

I'm so psyched for this game. Corey also said that the game was the closest FFG has ever come to a worker placement game. Not that it is worker placement per se, but that the leaders act as workers - you need them to do just about everything.

Their discussion about the hidden nature of the rebel base makes the game sound even more awesome too, and confirmed more details about the probe deck.

Probe Deck:

- Contains a card for each planet/system on the map
- Rebel player chooses one card from the deck, this denotes the starting location of the hidden rebel base. This card is removed from the deck and kept face down
- Imperial player draws 2 cards from the probe deck each round, eliminating planets/systems as possible locations of the base.
- Other effects such as missions like...

This leads onto awesome bluffing and subterfuge between the players. The rebel player may start amassing troops and units around a particular system, hoping that the Imperial player may take the bluff and think that that's where the base is. But the rebel player doesn't know which cards have been 'probed' by the Imperial player. Maybe they know for a fact that the base isn't there. Do they counter-bluff and 'take the bait' or do they ignore it because they know it's not there?

Also there was more information about the track along the left side of the board. We now know that this tracks the game rounds and also the loyalty score of the rebel player. I think they said you need to get to 14 loyalty to win as the Rebel player, but you can also gain additional loyalty through missions - speeding up your victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to know if it's possible to move the Rebel base. After all, that's a key thing that happens during the movies. The base moves after Yavin, and then that movement is a central point of Empire Strikes Back.

I would think the ability to re-set, and move the Rebel base, should be a key ability that the Rebellion can use. (Maybe once per game?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: oh boyMicrobadge: Important announcement about BGG communication!Microbadge: Nutella loverMicrobadge: This place intentionally left blank.Microbadge: Calvinball player
According to the SU&SD podcast, yes, the rebels can move their base. But it's risky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigland wrote:
According to the SU&SD podcast, yes, the rebels can move their base. But it's risky.
Also, like in the PC game. You could move it, but it was risky, and you lose loyalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigland wrote:
Ah, good.

I'm planning to listen to that podcast on my way home from work today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Poirier
Canada
flag msg tools
Plattenhelge wrote:
Maybe there's a difference between attack (1st and 2nd column) and defend (2nd and 3d column). Fighters would then have different attack and defence values ( a different number of black dice). ion canons, shield generators and incomplete death stars could only defend. The complete death star has a straight number of red dice for attack and defence.
My guess is that the third column is "what can damage this unit" - Tie fighters, x-wings, y-wings are damaged by black dice (lasers, anti-small craft guns) while mon calamari cruisers, imperial and super star destroyers, transports are hurt by red dice (turbolasers, anti-capital ship guns). The death star does not roll dice (blank, blank) but can be damaged by small starfighters (black die on third column).

Alternatively, instead of "what can damage this unit", there was a mention of "blocking damage" on one of the cards. Perhaps different units use different dice results to block a damage; presumably the die related to their specialty, and would follow the same logic as above.

The black = laser and red = turbolaser seems to make sense - x-wing and tie fighters only roll black dice, y-wings only red dice. The first two columns presumably have numbers on them to indicate how many of each you roll, either in attack or in defense.

I thought that perhaps the different symbols on the chart for different units indicated which symbol consisted a "hit" for that particular unit, a bit like commands and colours. However, since in the play example the imperial player seems to be combining the tie fighter and star destroyer dice willy-nilly and chucking them all at once, I doubt this is the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Coffee
United States
Norcross
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
SU&SD podcast #35, starting near minute 5 - finishing near minute 27.

Some highlights that I took (as best I could):
----------------------------------------------
- #1 observation > put money aside to buy it if you like war games, 2p war game, Star Wars, fun (OK, I added fun but that's the impression)

- they did not finish the game, playing for about 2 hours

- Imperial - just find Rebel Base and blow it up

- it's basically Galactic Guess Who

- Imperials systematically try and find the Rebel Base, while the Rebels hope to have infrastructure built up by then to make it a problem

- FFG person said the most worker placement game FFG will ever make, but instead of placing workers you are placing heroes and instead of getting wood you're blowing up planets

- minute 9:30 - Matt likes the pace, fast routine stuff, assign leaders to different actions and strategically choosing the order you do it to make sure you can do at least one thing the opponent can't counter it

- rules are simple, but all the theme comes from the cards

- Rebel cards are fun because they get to send Leaders off to do little secret things

- Imperial cards are fun to capture and crush things, taking leaders

- properly asymmetric

- subjugation is great, as soon as Stormtroopers are on the ground, but Imperial doesn't receive production

- Rebels send diplomats places, but they are at risk of Darth Vadar to capture them

- Rebel Objective decks are tiered/phased/storied - must do all the 1s (1 Victory Points), then all the 2s, then all the 3s - kind of a 3 act structure to help create a wonderful story in a remix each time

- Probe Deck (the planets) - one card for every system in the Galaxy; as many have stated, Rebels pick one and make it their base; if you put it somewhere desireable with lots of production, the Imperial might go there just because it's desireable and you're producing lots of things

- Quinn found Matt's Rebel base - all Rebel ships came out and Quinn had to run away, not good for Matt who can't built up a secret army nor launch secret attacks from the base - so he had to start a new base (already confirmed by people above)

- Probe Deck - every turn, the Imperial person will draw at least 2 cards each turn, if they focus more on that piece of the game it seems they could draw more than 2 (I could not figure out what the max might be). I believe the Imperial person keeps this secret from the Rebel player, so the Rebel player does not know what the Imperial knows.

- The so great part. The Rebels can bluff by protecting a system where the Rebel Base does NOT exist. But as just stated, the Rebels don't know if the Imperial already knows whether the Rebels are bluffing or not. So, does the Imperial player pretend to not know what they know?

- Rebels draw 2 action cards from an Action Deck - 10 max in hand. 4 Thematic Missions (example Trade Envoy where factories are filled up). There are some consistent cards the Rebels have (always get back in your hand - example, Moving Rebel Base).
>>>>> To Move Base - card goes face down, then put leader on top of it. If Skill Check is 3, then you need at least 3 of that color to even try. If contested, then rolling dice. With 1 Leader on the Move Base action card, the Rebel player pulls 4 cards from the Probe Deck, with 2 Leaders the Rebel player pulls 8 cards. The Rebel player does not have to move their base and there are some limitations. It seems if you are not moving, you announce you are not moving.

- Move Base limitation - Rebels can not move their Base. You can not move to places where the Imperial has already probed because they are already holding those cards. Rebels also can not move somewhere the Imperials have already settled (nor if it has been BLOWN UP).

- Cards drawn by the Rebels are shuffled back in to the main draw deck.

- Leaders can be used for countering actions of the opponent.

- Rebel Base discovered by Imperials - all the units that were hidden (physically on the hidden planet location) have to come out to the main board. So when moving the Base, on the first turn it is completely empty and you have to build up the hidden troops again.

- Many levels of bluffing.

- has the Fury of Dracula thing where both players are looking at the board - terrified! Matt - "I was losing my mind."

- Rebel objective is to get to Turn 14. But every Objective achieved reduces the Final Round. (editorial - This is new information for me.)

>>> Looking at the big picture, to the upper right of the #14 I see a little red marking - I'm guessing this signifies the beginning end round of the game. This goes up to 16, so maybe the Empire can somehow increase the duration of the game? So there is a little bit of Tug of War going on while the Rebels keep trying to shorten the game by completing objectives. That means I'm guessing the marker at Time 4 is the current round. If these two ever meet, end of game and Rebels are the happier ones (unless the Empire has blown up 2-3 planets which I imagine is going to be pretty fun with good laughs).

>>> I still don't know (and haven't been able to read everything in this thread and elsewhere) - what are the markings in the upper left of many (but not all) of the numbers on the Time Track? I think it's common belief that they are some sort of benefits for the Rebels, but we don't yet know what. Units, cards of some type, ??

- Quinns - as Imperial, "they could be anywhere"

- Rebels can sneak a single ship through to take over a planet anywhere while the Imperials must move slowly and plodding

- Imperial - blow up a planet and Empire can pick any other planet in the sector to immediately flip to Imperial (out of fear - "we love the Empire").

- Rebel Mission Cards - when Leader is pictured, you roll extra dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
Italy
Castelbellino
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx for the summary Lance.
The only part that does not match is how you can deny the Rebel player to move the base somewhere the Imperial has already probed, since it's secret information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |