Marc-Andre Ferland
msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game Collector
Hello all,

I would like to have you help on tactics on campain we started lately.

I am playing the imperial

3 players are playing the rebel
- Daila
- Mak
- Gin
plus the hero card giving them a extra activation

So far, they played the inital mission without any difficulties
they have played side mission viper's nest and they won again...without that much trouble but a little closer

I would need your advice...to give them a good challenge...

Waht are the units to be used?
What are good tactics?

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Microbadge: Challenge to play 10 games 10 times each hardcore participantMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan Microbadge: Fringe fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
If they won Aftermath, they are going to get challenged plenty in A New Threat, although 3-rebel configuration should work best in that mission.

Which Class deck are you using?

Some potentially relevant reading:
Failspiraling imperial player, recoverable?
Help for a struggling Imperial Campaign player? (minor spoilers?)
Imperial Classes - Strength and Weaknesses of all
Military Might Strategy...Sort of
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Ludrick
United States
Austin
Texas (TX)
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play with the Rebel Alliance!Microbadge: 2015 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan
Royal Guards are probably the best units to use. I use them on every mission I can. They have a lot of hit points, defend each other, and are one of the few Imperial units that can stun. Stunning the rebels often is a great tactic and will really help you.

As mentioned before, it also matters what class deck you have as this will shape your strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Ludonaute/Asmodee "Colt Express" Contest participantMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Queen Games "Escape: Big Box" Contest participantMicrobadge: Pegasus Spiele "Games for Easter!" Contest participantMicrobadge: Days of Wonder "Five Tribes" Contest participant
I just started a campaign a couple days ago. Played aftermath and luxory cruise (side mission). Imperials vs. 2 heroes (the jedi and Mak whatever... Creature with the gun!)

The heroes got smoked in both missions. Imperials won by wounding both heros. First the imperials focus all attacks on one player until he is s wounded, then onto the second. During luxory cruise the heros put up a really good fight but still got hurt quickly.

I was going to ask for advice on how the heros can win

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
Microbadge: Challenge to play 10 games 10 times each hardcore participantMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan Microbadge: Fringe fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
Either you are a better player or there may be some slight rules issue. Did you give them two activation tokens, the Legendary cards and remember the additional health they give? Which class deck are you using? Did the heroes recover strain from unused surges (one per attack)? Did they use strain to move to be able to attack twice in one activation?

Well, if they lost Aftermath, the next story mission should be easier for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Ludonaute/Asmodee "Colt Express" Contest participantMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Queen Games "Escape: Big Box" Contest participantMicrobadge: Pegasus Spiele "Games for Easter!" Contest participantMicrobadge: Days of Wonder "Five Tribes" Contest participant
The rebels have definitely not been using strain to move. I will tell the players they should really take advantage of that in order to attack twice each round.

As far as i know we have played correctly... No rules errors. Some things came up pertaining to recovering and resting.

Can a hero use both actions to rest and regain double the strain and health? Does it matter if they use their first or second action to rest?

The way i understand resting is that you recover strain equal to the chara ters endurance. So if my endurance was 5, and i already suffered 3 strain, after resting i would regain 3 strain and 2 damage is that right?

The other thing relates to what you said above... If i rolled 3 surges, and used only one for a special ability, can i use the other two to regain strain or can i only use one of them? Ive been telling the heroes you can only use one surge to recover a strain (or health if your strain is ok). This is similar to where the manual says you can only use one surge ability per combat round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
Heroes can use both actions for rest. Rest recovers strain according to their endurance. They recover damage for each strain they can not recover, you have that right.

Rest as a first or second action matters if they take a special action that uses strain, or take strain for movement points.

Only one unused surge can be used per attack to recover strain. (One damage is recovered if the hero has not suffered any strain.)

The manual does not say you can use only one surge ability, it says you can only trigger each surge ability once. You can trigger multiple different surge abilities per attack. If you have the same effect in two different surge abilities, you can even get the same effect twice. (Look around for the threads talking about strain and surges.)

Anyway, using strain to move and attacking twice is huge. Or for example take 2 strain for 2mp, take a special action that costs strain, then rest, then spend the movement points. Or take 1 strain for 1mp, attack, recover strain from the attack, spend 1mp, take 1 strain for 1mp, attack again, recover strain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osku Odi
msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
We're having quite the opposite... The rebels are constantly wiped out By the Imperium... And they are getting tired of it... I've asked if someone else would want to play the Impire, but with no luck so far. I'd like to see what would happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls