Subject: Board games recommendation for Poker Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabricio Ycaza
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Most of my friends play poker but are not interested too much on board games, however they have played several games with me (a couple hits, most misses)and I wish I had more in my collection for this group.
They love: Splendor (because of poker chips maybe), Coup (bluffing), The resistance (again bluffing), wits and wagers. No thanks.

They hate or dont like: (Any) werewolf- they like resistance better, party games (drawing, trivia), co-ops, most Ameri-trash.

Are there games out there that have similar mechanics to poker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shilling
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Battle line is a great 2 player game based on building several 3 card poker hands with some deduction, bluffing and hand management. Very different to actual poker! Awesome game... For 2 players only tho....

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/760/battle-line
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Doomtown: Reloaded uses Poker hands and mechanics to resolve combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sutter's Mill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Arcanum, Cheaty Mages!, and Arctic Scavengers.

I think what you are looking for is something that has some of the elements that are similar to poker, but different enough where your friends just conclude, "Let's just play poker."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandante is like a fusion of Texas Hold Em and Coup.

Each getting round you claim the best hand you think you can get (which is like combination push your luck and bluffing) with the weakest claims having to pay more to get new cards. By the end though, if you haven't made the hand you claimed (or better) players might challenge and make you lose it all. But if someone challenges and you did make the hand, you win big time.

The old edition of Pandante is a little crazy as there is also this action mechanic that is very much like Coup which happens at the end of the hand based in the suits of your pocket cards. I think they simplified the new one a lot which might be a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And Good Cop Bad Cop is a lot more fun for me than The Resistance. It especially works better at 5-players. It really needs the expansion to reach its full potential though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revolution! all the way.
its got the bluffing, reading your oponents, betting with your *money*....its just a winner....you have a *hand* of choices that you play. And its a solid great board game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreeing with Battle Line and Sutter's Mill; also recommending For Sale just because they like No Thanks, and For Sale hits that same spot - and adds very bluffy blind simultaneous auctions in the second round ("bluffy" because everyone knows what cards you have by then, but they don't know what you just played.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
Havoc: The Hundred Years War is another game about building multiple poker hands, and deciding which battles are worth investing extra cards into. Great fun, although likely hard to find.

Otherwise I would recommend Coup, which you are already playing, and maybe the revised edition of Pandánte (Second Edition) mentioned above. Oh yeah, Operation F.A.U.S.T. has the same central bluffing core as Coup, but a different win condition and more complexity, so that might also be worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios could be worth a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fola Tam
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice Town
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try Diplomacy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The upcoming game Hocus is quite fun and has poker roots, but with some interesting powers and twists.

The only downside is that the Kickstarter will be delivered soon, but I'm not sure when the retail product will hit the stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cockroach Poker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabricio Ycaza
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you everyone, taking notes and watching reviews!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabricio Ycaza
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Great rec! Adding it to my wishlist. Reminds me of Lost Cities with a little more meat.

superdupergeek wrote:

Battle line is a great 2 player game based on building several 3 card poker hands with some deduction, bluffing and hand management. Very different to actual poker! Awesome game... For 2 players only tho....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cox
New Zealand
flag msg tools
In order, of their likely success imho:

Welcome to the Dungeon

Skull

Dragon's Gold

Perudo

Stockpile

Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition)

I'm the Boss!

7 Wonders

Council of Verona

Lost Legacy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superdupergeek wrote:

So much yes to this one. One of the best games ever and very tense play. The only down side for you would seem to be it's only two player.

If they liked No Thanks! try For Sale. Most I know who like the one like the other. For Sale has two phases. One where players are bidding for properties going around the table fro several rounds and a second where players are simultaneously throwing down the properties they've won to get the highest money card in each round of that phase. It's not poker like other then there is both bidding and bluffing.

Perhaps a good trick taking game may also work for poker players. I've also had good luck with Turn the Tide which is OOP but the german version "Land Unter" is available for very reasonable prices from a few OLGS that offer imports. The game is language independent and english rules can be found on the game page here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When this question comes up, I always recommend Taj Mahal.

Here's a geeklist about that Help me convince my poker group to play board games!:
I agree with what BGG user Eldard says in that geeklist:
"This game is a great blend of card game with board game. But the key point is that card play is like playing stud poker with the stakes being possible rewards from/on the board.

Imagine playing roll-your-own stud poker, except that when you fold ('withdraw') you may get something back from the pot. and if you do, it may be more than what the other bidders get."

Or, here's a review:
Taj Mahal: Use it in place of poker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Head-to-Head Poker
Beowulf: The Legend
+1 Havoc: The Hundred Years War (if you can find a copy)
+1 Battle Line

I see you own Love Letter...have you tried that with 'em? They might like the bluffing element...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super varal
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Backgammon

Only two players but it's popular with many poker players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Mahjong Poker

PeekPoker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
If they enjoy poker because of the risk management aspect of the game then Blood Bowl might be the game. The rules are free but the minis can be difficult to acquire. GW has stopped supporting the game so minis must be purchased from third party vendors. All the things you need can either be made at home or purchased online. Blood Bowl is a two player game but if each player has their own team and you have multiple pitches and dice you can run a league night with multiple games running simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len Kendall
United States
California
flag msg tools
Adding my game to the mix since it's based around Texas Hold'em. Currently live on Kickstarter: westerntropic.co

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |