Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: Which side are you going to take: the light or the dark side? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So which side are you willing to play: The empire or the Rebels?

For me, I am a 100% corrupted by the Dark side, I want to serve the emperor and purge the galaxy of those rebel scum. Making a show off and abusing of my power is the kind of gameplay I am looking for.

To quote Space Janitor:

Power, Freedom..hm! ... Order, Power

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think i will play both side of the conflict...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
Avatar
mb
I would like to try the Imperials first, but obviously I want to experience both sides.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"You want this..."

My most likely opponents are my two oldest boys. They handle X-Wing and Armada just fine, and I'm hoping that this one isn't too much of a step up. I bet they'll be able to handle it, with some pointers.

I make a concerted effort for them to be "the good guys" as much as possible when playing games. So they often default into the Rebel position, which I encourage as much as possible. "Play the good guys, sons. Get into that mindset. You're on the Light Side. Act like it."

This means that I often default into the Imperial position, even when it's not a position that I'm well-suited to take by temperament! So I'm going to end up as the Imperials a lot. That's okay. We can flip sides in a few years.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
Avatar
mbmbmb
sauronarrrhdevilcoalXcoffeeninjarobotzombie
Always more fun. . .
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
Avatar
mb
The Empire is the rightful custodian of the galaxy. The so-called rebels are a terrorist organization that prefers anarchy to peaceful order and the the rule of law.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Gong
United States
Kingsburg
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play both because I want to get my money's worth. Who will I play first? Imperials. I already know how the Rebels can win.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Empire. I feel better with the crisp uniforms, unassailable Star Destroyers, and ultimate stellar sledgehammer that I can deploy when I need it. The Emperor doesn't have to know that I and my associates can overthrow him if his commands become too bloodthirsty... as it is, I'm ordering him around the universe on my bidding.

But as the rebels, it's the challenge, and it's refreshing to play the good guys now and again. I have the feeling I'd enjoy the rebels like I enjoy playing Dracula in Fury of Dracula: I'm the sneaky force that isn't there when the Empire brings down the hammer, and where one head was smashed another sprouts up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dark Side has cookies, and I really like cookies, so definitely the Dark Side.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play Imperial Assault with my two boys, I take on the Imperial (the "gm") role, so for this one I'll likely go with the light.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I have no strong preference to either side, and will simply take which ever one my opponent doesn't choose, or flip a coin.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
The Empire is the rightful custodian of the galaxy. The so-called rebels are a terrorist organization that prefers anarchy to peaceful order and the the rule of law.
This is one of those aspects that drives me crazy when reading Star Wars forums. Both sides get to "role play" politics but to seriously address this role play puts someone in danger of violating the forum rules of no politics. So I'm left in the position of having to hear about "for the good of order" crap again and again without being able to really get into it. Role played fascism just makes me worry it's not really role play and it's such a dangerous idea that it's hard for me to leave it alone.

Please don't respond here to ruin the rest of this thread. GM me or we can move the politics to the RSP forum and leave a link here. I promise to follow the link and respond there. See you all when I get back from my ban for this little outburst.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Palpatine is just bad. No redemption. Dark side all the way.
Mind you... Being on light side and seeing Leia
In slave costume is worth fighting for.
Ummmm. 80s Leia that is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
White Knight wrote:
The Dark Side has cookies, and I really like cookies, so definitely the Dark Side.

12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Both sides get to "role play" politics but to seriously address this role play puts someone in danger of violating the forum rules of no politics
You just have to make the distinction between real life politics and fiction politics. In real life, I would probably be a rebel, or if I was in power (it won't happen), I would not be that evil.

It seems that good guys aspires to become evil in their fantasies, while bad guys aspires to become good in their fantasies.

And I love cookies, I also bake some, so Empire I am.

I think the game could be geared a bit like lord of the rings confontation, where the rebel side is for the more experienced player and the empire side is more for the newbie.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
/me puts on snooty philosopher hat

You see, unlike may real-life situations, Star Wars is a morally-absolute universe. There's a demonstrable, tangible "good" in the universe, as well as a tangible "evil". One's actions can be described as good or evil regardless of the ramifications.

Under real-world circumstances, the role of the Rebels is unclear until victory is achieved. Are they terrorists or liberators? Is their desire for the destruction of the order of the Empire truly good or truly evil? We don't know yet. They exist in a sort of moral quantum superposition until they have - or haven't - achieved their aims. In our postmodern society, we know that the only metric by which the Rebels achieve victory is when their narrative dominates any other narrative that disagrees with it (ie, the Empire). Indeed, in morally-ambiguous circumstances as ours, history is written by the victor.

Instead Star Wars allows us to look at this struggle with its distinct moral system. We know that the Rebels are "good" because the Jedi have joined their cause, and we know that the Empire is "evil" because the Sith are the head of that organization. It is literally black and white. If the Empire triumphs over the Rebels' insurrection, that doesn't make them the "good guys." Their association with the Dark Side of the Force will forever make the Empire the "bad guys" in history.

Indeed, the distinction between "good" and "evil" can be so strong that it works with only one side. Anyone who works against the Jedi can also be considered "evil" even though they aren't Sith or use the Dark Side of the Force. Conversely, working against the Sith will make one a "good guy" because one is directly working against evil.

I of course want to see good triumph over evil, as is culturally ingrained in me since my mind as a child could comprehend the world around me. There's little anyone can do to sway me from the assertion that the Rebels are the "good guys" and deserve victory.

(irl I don't care which side, I just hope both sides are interesting to play, and I'd love to play both sides for maximal variety)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Anyone who works against the Jedi can also be considered "evil" even though they aren't Sith or use the Dark Side of the Force. Conversely, working against the Sith will make one a "good guy" because one is directly working against evil.
Yes, the polarity in very strong in star wars, I have seen the above in many dereved products to a point where sometimes it can actually get annoying.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelteel wrote:
White Knight wrote:
The Dark Side has cookies, and I really like cookies, so definitely the Dark Side.

Wait...you mean they lied to me?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be helping the Empire to bring order to the galaxy!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
tranenturm wrote:
cbs42 wrote:
The Empire is the rightful custodian of the galaxy. The so-called rebels are a terrorist organization that prefers anarchy to peaceful order and the the rule of law.
This is one of those aspects that drives me crazy when reading Star Wars forums. Both sides get to "role play" politics but to seriously address this role play puts someone in danger of violating the forum rules of no politics. So I'm left in the position of having to hear about "for the good of order" crap again and again without being able to really get into it. Role played fascism just makes me worry it's not really role play and it's such a dangerous idea that it's hard for me to leave it alone.

Please don't respond here to ruin the rest of this thread. GM me or we can move the politics to the RSP forum and leave a link here. I promise to follow the link and respond there. See you all when I get back from my ban for this little outburst.
You could roleplay it under this very convincing fan theory that palpatine was actually the good guy https://www.reddit.com/r/FanTheories/comments/zt9l8/the_real...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebels for as long as I can, since my wife usually likes them.

It's ok though, in the PC game it was a very cool feel to always have troops, and star destroyers, and subjugate instead of convince to rebel...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything you thought you knew about Star Wars is apparently wrong. The bad guys are actually the good guys('from a certain point of view'):

"In all of the time we spend observing the Rebel Alliance, we never hear of their governing strategy or their plans for a post-Imperial universe. All we see are plots and fighting. Their victory over the Empire doesn't liberate the galaxy--it turns the galaxy into Somalia writ large: dominated by local warlords who are answerable to no one. Which makes the rebels--Lucas's heroes--an unimpressive crew of anarchic royals who wreck the galaxy so that Princess Leia can have her tiara back.
I'll take the Empire."

http://m.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hismhs wrote:
Everything you thought you knew about Star Wars is apparently wrong. The bad guys are actually the good guys('from a certain point of view'):

"In all of the time we spend observing the Rebel Alliance, we never hear of their governing strategy or their plans for a post-Imperial universe. All we see are plots and fighting. Their victory over the Empire doesn't liberate the galaxy--it turns the galaxy into Somalia writ large: dominated by local warlords who are answerable to no one. Which makes the rebels--Lucas's heroes--an unimpressive crew of anarchic royals who wreck the galaxy so that Princess Leia can have her tiara back.
I'll take the Empire."

http://m.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/...
That someone from the weeklystandard is willing to defend a group that annihilates planets, uses order to justify oppression, murders children of their opposition, and uses fear as a common tactic should tell you more about the weeklystandard than anything else. That the rebels fail in their goals doesn't impeach the motive of freedom, it only indicates the strength of the opposition vs their own power or that a subsection should not have been trusted. It doesn't exonerate the opposition (Imperials) from their own war crimes.

Freedom, justice for all(not just the privileged) and democracy as ideals are untarnished by poor attempts to implement them. They are still laudable, just difficult to implement when individuals act selfishly and enough people are sheep to the fear mongers or complicit because they refuse to acknowledge their own privilege of benefiting from the oppression of others.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tranenturm wrote:
hismhs wrote:
Everything you thought you knew about Star Wars is apparently wrong. The bad guys are actually the good guys('from a certain point of view'):

"In all of the time we spend observing the Rebel Alliance, we never hear of their governing strategy or their plans for a post-Imperial universe. All we see are plots and fighting. Their victory over the Empire doesn't liberate the galaxy--it turns the galaxy into Somalia writ large: dominated by local warlords who are answerable to no one. Which makes the rebels--Lucas's heroes--an unimpressive crew of anarchic royals who wreck the galaxy so that Princess Leia can have her tiara back.
I'll take the Empire."

http://m.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/...
That someone from the weeklystandard is willing to defend a group that annihilates planets, uses order to justify oppression, murders children of their opposition, and uses fear as a common tactic should tell you more about the weeklystandard than anything else. That the rebels fail in their goals doesn't impeach the motive of freedom, it only indicates the strength of the opposition vs their own power or that a subsection should not have been trusted. It doesn't exonerate the opposition (Imperials) from their own war crimes.

Freedom, justice for all(not just the privileged) and democracy as ideals are untarnished by poor attempts to implement them. They are still laudable, just difficult to implement when individuals act selfishly and enough people are sheep to the fear mongers or complicit because they refuse to acknowledge their own privilege of benefiting from the oppression of others.
Hear Hear!

Love your badges, btw
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |