Popular Tags: [View All]
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After months and months of doing nothing but working and writing and rewriting and editing and getting feedback and rejections by agents...

I now have an agent who has agreed to represent the work: Doug Grad Litearary Agency, out of Brooklyn. (http://www.dgliterary.com/)

I will reappear, groundhog like, once the book sells.

Diis

PS: Thanks to those of you who read and gave feedback on it--it paid off!

UPDATE: The editor pitched it to the major publishing houses and... none of them took it and my agent dropped me. The market is pretty well saturated with Iraq fiction at the moment and the publishers told my agent they don't think there's enough room for Major Arcana (my novel) in the marketplace.

I'm not too sure what to do at this point. Obviously it isn't the outcome I was hoping for, but that's just life sometimes. The fact that I was able to get representation gives me hope for my second novel which isn't Iraq fiction, although it too is in a crowded genre. I haven't decided what I'll do with Major Arcana except pitch it to smaller publishers I guess.

I'm reluctant to do the self-publishing route because for my own personal goals and reasons, that would seem somewhat like defeat, but I may come around to that approach later.

Or, I suppose, I could just admit that it was the first novel I've ever written and I should be damn pleased it even made it that far.

I said I'd reemerge, groundhog like, when the work sold, but being that it worked out the way it did, I have reemerged somewhat earlier...

Diis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re: So...
Diis wrote:
PS: Thanks to those of you who read and gave feedback on it
THE ONLY WAY TO SOOTHE MY RAGE IS TO HURT THOSE I ENVY

NAMES AND ADDRESSES PLEASE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Follower of JesusMicrobadge: We're all mad about JonnaMicrobadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: Tenderness and kindness are manifestations of strength and resolutionsMicrobadge: 2019 Women & Gaming Holiday Card Exchange Participant
I must have missed something........what did you write, David?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Feudal fanMicrobadge: Helionox: The Last Sunset fanMicrobadge: Pocket Landship fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Hnefatafl fan
You mis-spelled literary blush

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Congrats, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Spoon?
badge
SPOOOOON!!!
Microbadge: I Love SummerMicrobadge: Chili Pepper
Congrats, David!

I am really looking forward to reading your book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Spoon?
badge
SPOOOOON!!!
EgorjLileli wrote:
He's posted before about his life and experience in the military. Look up some of his older posts in Chit Chat. Good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Follower of JesusMicrobadge: We're all mad about JonnaMicrobadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: Tenderness and kindness are manifestations of strength and resolutionsMicrobadge: 2019 Women & Gaming Holiday Card Exchange Participant
tickmanfan wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
He's posted before about his life and experience in the military. Look up some of his older posts in Chit Chat. Good stuff.
Yes, I remember all those. I just didn't know he had actually gone and written a whole entire book!!!

Woo-Hoo!! Good for you, David!!

Thanks, Rudy!! Nice to see you around here away from Jonna!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Spoon?
badge
SPOOOOON!!!
EgorjLileli wrote:
Thanks, Rudy!! Nice to see you around here away from Jonna!!
While the cat's asleep, the tick will... creep?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats David! Sorry I've been MIA. It's been a chaotic year--by my standards, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Diis wrote:
...Litearary...
It's a real tear-jerker?

Ignore that...

Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Geekway to the West attendeeMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Terry Pratchett fan
Congratulations! This is wonderful news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And now, not wonderful news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diis wrote:
The market is pretty well saturated with Iraq fiction at the moment and the publishers told my agent they don't think there's enough room for Major Arcana (my novel) in the marketplace.
Look, all we need to do is change the setting to fantasy; you don't even have to change the title. It's a few minutes' work to do a search-and-replace mission with Perl: replace "HMMWV" with "chariot," "bullet" with "magic missile," "Iraq" with "Foofaloon," etc. Slap Fabio in a codpiece on the cover already, and let's get started on the Mai-Tais.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Book readerMicrobadge: Scotch drinkerMicrobadge: Golden Retriever loverMicrobadge: CollectorMicrobadge: Happily married
kuhrusty wrote:
Fabio in a codpiece
GREAT band name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer. But the fact that you're not quitting might just mean that you're a real writer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Microbadge: Offline from The Geek for a while
Have you tried injecting more discarded 1800's slang?
I hear people love that right now.
Pip pip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Miniature PainterMicrobadge: Name that tune!Microbadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Rhode Island
Print is dead. Publish it digitally on amazon or lulu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Diis wrote:

I'm not too sure what to do at this point. Obviously it isn't the outcome I was hoping for, but that's just life sometimes. The fact that I was able to get representation gives me hope for my second novel which isn't Iraq fiction, although it too is in a crowded genre. I haven't decided what I'll do with Major Arcana except pitch it to smaller publishers I guess.
Well if you read about some very successful writers you will find that they went on and wrote a second novel which they did get published by a bigger house and then after having a "name" were able to get their first novel publish and have it be a success.

Grisham's Time to Kill is one example...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Time_to_Kill_%28Grisham_nove...

I have heard a couple of Sci-Fi writers tell similar stories at conventions.

So focus on the second one for now since you have it in the pipeline would be my advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls