Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rules wrote:
You can even share research — the other agency takes one of the same advancement card, putting as many outcomes on it as you have on yours.
Are players permitted to trade for advancements they already have? If they are, would they:

A take a new advancement card and put the matching number of outcome cards on it (so that they now have two advancement cards for the same advancement)?

B discard from their existing advancement card until a matching number of outcome cards remain?

C discard all outcome cards from their existing advancement card and replace them with new outcome cards from the main draw deck (number of cards drawn to match the number of cards on the trading partner's advancment)?

D choose from some combination of the above?

In a case where the receiving player has not yet revealed any of the outcome cards currently present there is no real difference between B and C; but if they have drawn and returned a few times there would be a significant difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Niles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, players can trade for advancements they already have. Use option C:

The receipient discards all their outcome cards on that advancement, then replaces them with as many outcomes as the donor's advancement has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, what a quick and clear answer. Thanks Joe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, also what I'd guessed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
Yes, players can trade for advancements they already have. Use option C:

The receipient discards all their outcome cards on that advancement, then replaces them with as many outcomes as the donor's advancement has.
Thank you for the quick response Joe!

Just to confirm, although thematically I would prefer to keep them hidden, I expect the discards are public knowledge once they come off of the advancement card -- correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Niles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I have no idea if outcomes discarded via trade should be public or not. In practice, with a face-up discard pile, they would be seen, but I don't know if it makes any difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
Honestly, I have no idea if outcomes discarded via trade should be public or not. In practice, with a face-up discard pile, they would be seen, but I don't know if it makes any difference.
It would make a difference. Everyone knows there are only 15 minor/major failure cards. E.g. if there were already 10 major failures discarded, you would know that there are only 5 left. Therefore I shuffle all remaining outcome cards (pile+discard) before I draw cards for a new advancement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That may skew your outcomes towards more failures than intended by the designer.

Why not shuffle your existing outcomes then discard down to the appropriate number and discard them without revealing them?

That would preserve the original probabilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls