Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering becoming a Humanist Celebrant, which would authorize me to perform weddings. In PA the most common option for non-religious who are getting married is a judge (my wife and I had a judge who was a wondeful officiant at our wedding). If you are non-religious and were getting married, would you consider a Humanist Celebrant? Would any of the religious here consider a Humanist Celebrant?

http://humanist-society.org/become-a-celebrant/

edited to correct typo - thanks McSpiffy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still an atheist, thank god.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sure. My wife and I eloped to Vermont and were married at a B&B by a Justice of the Peace (he was also the Town Clerk who issued our license earlier that day). Having to get a judge sounds inconvenient for the (relatively) short notice we asked so more options always seems better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are very much non-religious. But more important than being non-religious, we are also exceptionally lazy and hired a wedding consultant to do all the hard work for us on or wedding day. (Best decision we made, incidentally). She asked us for the type of ceremony we wanted, we indicated "non-religious" and she found a priest willing to officiate for us while leaving God out of the ceremony (except for a single, nebulous, interpret it as you want reference). We were good with that.

Were a Humanist option presented to us we would have definitely considered it.

This was over 15 years ago and I was still vaguely Catholic. If we were getting married today I would definitely search for a completely secular option, and Humanist would be a fine choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Marriage is a religious ceremony, even when the religion is that of the state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
I am considering becoming a Humanist Celebrant, which would authorize me to perform weddings. In PA the most common option for non-religious who are getting married is a judge (my wife and I had a judge who was a wondeful officiant at our wedding). If you are non-religious and were getting married, would you consider a Humanist Celebant? Would any of the religious here consider a Humanist Celebrant?

http://humanist-society.org/become-a-celebrant/
Why would it make a difference to me whether you have sex or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LightRider wrote:
Nice. A tad more subtle than your usual fare. Only a tad to be fair, but when the bar is set so consistently low it's easy to be impressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LightRider wrote:
Are you certain you're not thinking of a of a monetary-based marriage. A resource-based marriage operates under entirely different principles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope a Humanist Celebrant would accept bitcoin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Non-religious and I would be fine with a HuCe officiating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meat wrote:
LightRider wrote:
Are you certain you're not thinking of a of a monetary-based marriage. A resource-based marriage operates under entirely different principles.
Explain the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
wedding or funeral - always have a big orgy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LightRider wrote:
Meat wrote:
LightRider wrote:
Explain the difference.
A monetary-based marriage is more greatly affected by unseen market forces over which the participants have little control. It's very volatile and unpredictable, with a good chance of failure. A resource-based marriage is backed by intrinsic value, which has a smoothing effect. Such will also see continued growth over the long term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meat wrote:
LightRider wrote:
Meat wrote:
LightRider wrote:
Explain the difference.
A monetary-based marriage is more greatly affected by unseen market forces over which the participants have little control. It's very volatile and unpredictable, with a good chance of failure. A resource-based marriage is backed by intrinsic value, which has a smoothing effect. Such will also see continued growth over the long term.
Plus the computer tells you who the most efficient person to marry is.

Edit: It would be an RNG'ed marriage. GET IT?!?!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LightRider wrote:
Separate from the point you are trying to make, on which we obviously differ, you are also confusing the ceremony (wedding) with the relationship (marriage).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am planning on eloping and then throwing a kegger. I don’t like ceremonies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
LightRider wrote:
Separate from the point you are trying to make, on which we obviously differ, you are also confusing the ceremony (wedding) with the relationship (marriage).
Yes, thanks for the correction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meat wrote:
LightRider wrote:
Meat wrote:
LightRider wrote:
Explain the difference.
This was almost funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The real question between deciding on a Judge or a Humanist Celebrant is...

which is cheaper?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was married in my mother-in-law (to be)'s living room by a judge my parents know.

I personally find big weddings kind of gauche, but it's a popular tradition so I guess if you have the money, fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea of the religious affiliation (if any) of the person who married me and my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
The real question between deciding on a Judge or a Humanist Celebrant is...

which is cheaper?
That was my thought too. I don't see how it could be cheaper than my Justice of the Peace wedding in PA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No answer to the thread, but when reading threads like this, since I come from a country where a wedding is performed by a city official, I Always find it so strange when people are talking about a non-government official as the primary person for performing a wedding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mag74b wrote:
No answer to the thread, but when reading threads like this, since I come from a country where a wedding is performed by a city official, I Always find it so strange when people are talking about a non-government official as the primary person for performing a wedding.
To be fair, religous folk usually have two ceremony's, a civil one in city hall (or other fancy location) and a religious one in church. Apparently, such is not the norm internationally.

As any right minded atheist, I was married in church by a catholic priest including all the religious bells and whistles. What can I say, it's like, tradition, man. Also, I did not get most of the religious stuff because it was in Polish and despite speaking that tongue a bit, most went over my head.

I admit I was a bit shocked initially when informed that the church marriage also took care of the civil side of things. We live and learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls